electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
CMOS triple resonant VCF
Page 3 of 3 [72 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3
loss1234

Audio files: 41

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

this thread is no more complex than when scott stites posted his Source of uncertainty schematics in a lunetta thread....all in all this is a really cool way to use CMOS chips and i guess it could fit in here or in the DIY section

i will read it wherever it goes

fluxmonkey

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
Who thinks this thread should be moved? Is it getting a bit big for its Lunetta boots? I rather like that this thread is within this section, as it is CMOS based, therefore it's pretty nuts, but then again, were getting a bit too confused between something simple and something complex- especially with all these vactrols now being mentioned.

it's fine where it is.

i don't think discussions should be limited to the original designs of Stanley Lunetta, that would cut off most of the thread here. i prefer that we take the general parameters and grow them in the same spirit. CMOS as a core technology, DIY, playfulness, and letting-the-machine-be-itself seem to me the operative principals, and this still seems w/in that general area. but simple vs. complex is a little too much of a grey to start imposing hard distinctions, imo.

b

loss1234

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

exactly what he said Wink
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Good. That was exactly my opinion too Very Happy (I had a PM from another member- who asked me to move it, then they changed their mind. So as we are a democratic community, I thought I'd ask you folks first Very Happy )

Tom

PS great thread btw!

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
Rykhaard

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bbob wrote:

it's fine where it is.

i don't think discussions should be limited to the original designs of Stanley Lunetta, that would cut off most of the thread here. i prefer that we take the general parameters and grow them in the same spirit. CMOS as a core technology, DIY, playfulness, and letting-the-machine-be-itself seem to me the operative principals, and this still seems w/in that general area. but simple vs. complex is a little too much of a grey to start imposing hard distinctions, imo.

b

The portion of your above quote that I've changed to the colour purple, is exactly my mindset, with my machine.
I've kept it simple, though I'm not limiting it only, to CMOS. Origins within the Lunetta spirit, but expanding outwards mildly, to enhance the fun I have with the machine. Smile
synthmonger

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Coming close to completing the PCB. I've only made about 3 pcbs and this one is the first large one. It may look a teeny tiny goofy but that's due to my PCB making noobness! Very Happy

The size is 4 1/4 x 4 1/4x inches, which I'm 99% sure is the limit for Eurorack standards. I made holes for Alpha pots from Futurlec that are mounted on the board.

pcb_early.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  140.74 KB
 Viewed:  21932 Time(s)

pcb_early.jpg

loss1234

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

so where are you getting your boards made? is this layout for PRESS N PEEL or for manufacture?

did you redraw the schematic 'Wink

looks good

synthmonger

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

loss1234 wrote:
so where are you getting your boards made? is this layout for PRESS N PEEL or for manufacture?

did you redraw the schematic 'Wink

looks good

The first batch of 10-20 I'm going to make myself using PnP. I'm pretty well experienced in etching and drilling boards; I've done close to probably 60 something. Then I'll redo the PCB as a dual layer and order them through Express PCB.

I haven't redrawn the schematic. After the pcb I'm going to do the schematic in express PCB. I'd wait until the new schematic is finished, there were a couple changes.
synthmonger

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I finished the boards late last night...er this morning around 6am. There are 23 jumpers on the single layer board and none on the double layer. I'm going to try and knock down the jumper count a little bit, PnP a board and see how it goes.

It came out a little messier than I'd like and kinda big. Single I think is 4.25 x 4.25 and double is 3.9 x 2.8 inches.
DGTom

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The sounds in this thread are pure Twisted Evil Love It! & I don't usually like filters that much (don't actually have one one in my system)

I really like how 'wrong' this sounds, some very pretty tearing sounds!
synthmonger

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have to admit, I'm not a big fan of filters either. The Steiner, Resonators and bi-n-tic are the only ones I've ever liked. My haxx0rd version of the resonators is right up there now. Over driving it with anything makes it sound like a beast with a mean growl!

The sounds in the thread aren't from the finalized version. I added a couple extra things that beefed it up some. More to come! ;0
DGTom

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sounds like we have similar taste in filters Very Happy

synthmonger wrote:
The sounds in the thread aren't from the finalized version. I added a couple extra things that beefed it up some. More to come! ;0

Awesome!
vtl5c3

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That filter sounds amazing! So wrong, yet so right! Twisted Evil

synthmonger wrote:
Here's a sync demo of my vco clocking 4066 switches in my wasp like vcf. The filters are almost identical, just different caps but both state variable. Mine will self-oscillate though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFMUEMy4KI8
synthmonger

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I redid the pcb a little bit and was able to remove a few jumpers. Now I'm looking at 20 total. I could get rid of more but I'd hafta use thinner lines which are always a pain to etch perfectly.

Anywhos, I'm going to complete a single board tonight and see how everything goes. If it works then I'll start working on a batch. I've included a picture of the pcb and if anyone has any tips I'd appreciate it. This is my first large board and 4th one I've done at all.

Untitled-1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  265.23 KB
 Viewed:  419 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

Untitled-1.jpg

Rykhaard

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice tight layout for someone with so little experience! Smile

Not that I know a helluvalot about it, but this is what I do:

- no 90º angles in traces. ( I was told in the earlier 90's, that 90 degrees can cause reflection in digital signals. Now - this MAY be only for high frequencies, but I don't remember.) I 45º angle everything that I can, on a turn

- data traces 25 thou.

- longer power traces 50 thou.

- shorter power traces 30 thou.

(My traces may be larger than required, but I always like to be sure of current carrying abilities. Wink )

- I try to run my power lines first, all of the time. (As read from Bernie Hutchins in his Electronotes newsletter, many years ago.)

- I try to avoid jumpers (I only do single sided) as much as possible. If I have to route traces off to Vancouver and back, to avoid traces, then so be done! Wink

Outside of that, very good looking! Smile
synthmonger

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the tips Ryk! I wasn't totally sure about the trace degrees until I looked at other PCB designs that I made which had no problems at all. Next time I'll round them off though.

I hate jumpers too. They're always a pain and I tend to always leave one or two out in a circuit before realizing the reason why it's not working is because of the absent jumper.

Yeah I do power lines first. It's easier to start placing components off of them too. I like to keep the chips and things in line on top of the power rails.
synthmonger

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

First board etched with only a couple bad joints. The small text came out okay, but needs to be slightly larger on the design. It didn't work right off the bat. It took a good 5 hours figuring out that I had pin 5 switched with 6 and a couple other silly things. This was the first time I got to test it on my modular PSU of 12v. I normally use my micro bipolar 9v to test things. The extra 3 volts gives it a bit more headroom and the resonance is easier to control. I gotta say, this thing sounds freaking awesome.

More audio and video samples soon!

Edited for clarity. I shouldn't post post 24 hours of no sleep Embarassed

Last edited by synthmonger on Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Rykhaard

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

synthmonger wrote:
First board etched with very only a couple bad joints. The small text came out okay, but I'm going to up it on the final batch. It didn't work off the bat. It took a good 5 hours figuring out that I had pin 5 switched with 6 and a couple other silly things. This was the first time I got to test it on my modular PSU of 12v. I use my micro bipolar 9v to test things. The extra 3 volts gives it a bit more headroom and the resonance is easier to control. I gotta say, this thing sounds freaking awesome.

More audio and video samples soon!

Looking forward to! If all sounds good, I'll be building one. Smile

Once you get a few more PCBs under your belt, you'll start to recognize the errors right away. Smile I rarely have one now. As an example there - my 6 x single transistor VCA / AR EG combo. worked perfectly yesterday. Patience / checking, is key. Smile
synthmonger

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That vca/eg combo sounds cool. Looking forward to that.

Yeah I'm excited to start making pcbs regularly. The next few should be very soon as their design is about half the size of this filter.

I had a long break of not making modules because I hate making things on veroboard with too many wires. Now that I can sucessfully make pcbs I made it super easy for me to assemble them so I have no excuse to be lazy! Wink

I think the next ones on the list are a 3 channel Pulse Width Modulator and 4007 logic.

synthmonger

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I added pcbs to my shop. Here's a link to it.

http://synthmonger.etsy.com/

My hands are numb from all this ding dang drilling! ;d Arthritis here I come... Crying or Very sad

vtl5c3

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Can the CV inputs handle negative voltages? I guess a better question would be: What voltage range can the CV inputs handle?

R.
synthmonger

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well I tested negative voltages with it through a voltage divider and LFO without blowing up anything. I tested it with the pots on every setting imaginable. I haven't noticed the chips operating any differently at all. Though if you do feed it negative voltages it the audio will cut out completely. I don't think there's enough current flowing through them to hurt the chips. I did feed negative voltages directly onto the MOS gates which fried it, but if you feed it through the inverter section of the 4007 everything should be ok.

Here's the resonator schematic.

P.S. I'm making starting a thread for my CMOS PW Modulators. Schematic is ready and PCB will be soon. Probably tomorrow.

cmos_resonant_VCF.bmp
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  cmos_resonant_VCF.bmp
 Filesize:  96.31 KB
 Downloaded:  963 Time(s)

Page 3 of 3 [72 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Jump to: