electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Patches - Completed » Pad
Solina G2 v3.0
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
FlowerP

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 73

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:27 am    Post subject: Solina G2 v3.0
Subject description: Improved Solina String Ensemble
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Please check my previous post on Solina G2 for background info.

When v2.5 of the patch was ready, I intended to sell my Solina String Ensemble. For various reasons this took quite some time Unfortunately, the power supply broke down before the Solina was sold. Thus, I had to do even more repair work. After replacing a burnt resistor and fully recapping the power supply, the Solina was again fully functional. In fact, it was more "fully functional" than before! I think the power supply problem had been there for a long time, gradually getting worse and causing increasing symptoms. After repair the Sustain suppression trigger started working. I also discovered that only the string sounds should be affected by the Crescendo (=attack) envelope, but not the brass sounds. So it became necessary for me to further modify my Solina G2 patch.

Sustain suppression means that sounds with long Sustain keep slowly decaying after all keys are released until a new key is pressed. Then the release is shortened, allowing the new note to be more clearly heard. This is implemented using envelope release time modulation by a short negative pulse triggered by the positive edge of MonoKey gate. To save VA patch load the trigger is derived in the FX area and sent to the VA area through Bus 1. Sustain suppression can be disabled using parameter A2:7.

Separate envelope handling for string and brass sounds is accomplished by sending all polyphonic sounds (Violin, Viola, Trumpet and Horn) separately to the FX area. There the sounds are monophonically processed (violin filtering, string envelope, brass select logic, eq, compression) and sent to the chorus ensemble.

Due to a phase shift somewhere (either in the Solina brass filters or the G2 brass filters) the phase relation between strings and brass on G2 is incorrect. By inserting a very short delay in the string path this problem is minimized. Combining string and brass sounds on G2 now gives a reasonable approximation of Solina.

The previous simple low pass filter tone control has been replaced with a Eq 3 band module for more precise tone shaping. Flat eq gives the frequency response of Solina output 1 (high). The eq settings of variation 2 are an attempt at simulating the frequency response of output 2 (low).

The sound mix pre-chorus effect send is slightly compressed to simulate the compression-like effect inherent in a top octave divider type instrument.

A stereo delay has been added at the end of the signal path.

Filter settings for all sounds have been tweaked.

This is a demo recording of the patch. No external effects are used. The first part demonstrates variation 1-6 with a few tweaks, mostly trying to sound musical. From 2:45 a single variation is used and various parameters are tweaked to show the range of control. The latter part of the demo is probably rather boring, but allows a more accurate comparison to a real Solina. If you have a G2, you are advised to download the patch and try for yourself instead of wasting time on this non-streamlined demo. Very Happy

Enjoy!

SolinaG2-3.0_parameters.jpg
 Description:
Parameter pages
 Filesize:  49.87 KB
 Viewed:  1159 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

SolinaG2-3.0_parameters.jpg

SolinaG2-3.0_layout.jpg
 Description:
Patch layout
 Filesize:  746.35 KB
 Viewed:  1241 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

SolinaG2-3.0_layout.jpg

Solina G2 v3.0.pch2
 Description:
The patch

Download
 Filename:  Solina G2 v3.0.pch2
 Filesize:  10.73 KB
 Downloaded:  2368 Time(s)

dorremifasol

Audio files: 7
G2 patch files: 49

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you, master Very Happy

I really enjoy your patches, it's always like buying a new synthesizer.

lifeonmars

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks MASTER! And now...a SMALLTONE phaser, and we will happy!!!! Very Happy Laughing
FlowerP

G2 patch files: 73

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

lifeonmars wrote:
thanks MASTER! And now...a SMALLTONE phaser, and we will happy!!!! Very Happy Laughing

How about this?

Had to make the chorus ensemble output strictly mono in order to afford the added patch load. Used half of the stereo phaser from my Ensemble G2 patch. Was able to retain the stereo delay from Solina G2 v3.0. The phaser and stereo delay controls are mapped to parameter pages E1 and E2. Effect bypass switches are mapped to A2:3-5. The phaser can potentially cause overload. Since the Main Volume control (A2:2) is located pre-effects, you can use it to avoid distortion.

Solina G2 v3.2.pch2
 Description:
Solina G2 with phaser.

Download
 Filename:  Solina G2 v3.2.pch2
 Filesize:  10.54 KB
 Downloaded:  2156 Time(s)

dorremifasol

Audio files: 7
G2 patch files: 49

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great! Tank you Very Happy
rhombus

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for this. After seeing the Waldorf Streichfett my next thought was "I wonder if some genius on electro-music made a Solina emulation on the G2." Then some months later I started looking for a way of making a stereo phaser and my search led me to this same post.
laurentius

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This patch is sick. All my life I was looking for a reasonable emulation of this classic machine. How did you achieve this? Did you study the original circuit? It is so warm, wide and fat!

Respect!
BigShort

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:00 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thx a lot for this beautiful solinas - Arturias Solina is good, but your i prefer now
jdd

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here I am commenting on a patch that is 9 years old. I added some MIDI control mappings to version 3.0 of the Solina patch to control it from a Nord Electro 4D. The rightmost six drawbars control the six stops bass, cello, viola, violin, trumpet, horn. (You can't use the leftmost six, because they would require MIDI CCs 17 and 18 which the G2 reserves for other purposes). The chorus effect switch on the Electro controls the Ensemble effect, the delay mix knob controls the delay mix, and the EQ knobs control the EQ. It's a very nice setup, like adding another instrument to the Electro on par with the organs and pianos.
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Patches - Completed » Pad
Jump to: