electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » electro-music.com » electro-music festivals
electro-music 2009 location
Page 5 of 7 [151 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next
BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Guys,

Is there a bar at this place?
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well all booked and paid for. See you all there. Bagsy one of the small cabins Wink
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Alcohol isn't allowed. We won't be searching people and chemically analyzing what they may be drinking either.

Smoking inside is not allowed either. Outside, we won't be analyzing what people might be smoking.

Illegal drugs aren't allowed either, of course. We won't be analyzing what people might be injecting (insulin) or pills they might be taking.

There is a very small amount of internet bandwidth, 256 kbs, we will be using for streaming. There will be times when we won't be streaming and we will open up the WiFi for people to use for email or whatever.

Pets, except documented service animals, aren't allowed.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Howard,

Is there a town/bars nearby for people who like a little tipple?

Andy
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Andy
it looks like there won't be any "beermaster" at EM 2009 as there was at Chateau Sonore Wink

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have had trouble drinking in America before.

Where it is quite acceptable in europe to sit in the park with a picnic and some beer or wine, in New York it nearly got me arrested!
egw
Stream Operator

Audio files: 18
G2 patch files: 8

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, there is a town nearby. I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to find a bar.
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

seraph wrote:
Andy
it looks like there won't be any "beermaster" at EM 2009 as there was at Chateau Sonore Wink

Are you going Carlo?
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The only Star Lake Camp i can find is this Salvation Army One : http://www.starlakeyouthcamp.org/ is this the one we are going to?
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have done a little bit of research, and the two local bars are:

Stumble inn is quite near (2 km), apparently a NJ dive with good meatloaf, music and hamburgers. Sounds good to me and I must admit it has a great name.

Trackside Bar and Grill, Sports bar eating place, famous for its hambirgers (I have noticed they all seem to be). May be worth a visit. 1/2 km from stumbles.

So anyone that fancies a drink in the evening can head for one of these. Hopefully taxis will not be an issue!
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Trackside Bar and Grill,

Now that sounds dangerous. Drinking and Trains don't mix well. Unless it's a Horse racing track ?

Anyhow, glad you coming out man !!! Cool If you get too loaded, I can be your designated driver.

Bill
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Bill.

I'm really looking forward to it, it will be great to meet the members from the other side of the pond and have always enjoyed my visits to America, especially the bars Very Happy

I am going to make a bit of a holiday of it and spend some time in New York first and I also have an old friend who lives in Long Beach so I may crash there for a couple of days as well. I haven't been the NY for about 15 years and the last time was amazing, truly mad. Unfortunately I am 15 years more sensible now so it's not going to be the same!

I was thinking about hiring a car but I am not sure how much it will get used, parking in the center of NY isn't going to be easy so I may just rely on busses, trains and taxis. I saw a post saying there was a bus from NY to Bloomingdale so that is looking like the best bet to get to the event.

Its going to be great.

Andy
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BobTheDog wrote:

Are you going Carlo?

no, I can't Crying or Very sad

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
ark

Audio files: 13
G2 patch files: 31

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've just signed up.

FYI, I just came back from a musical weekend at that very same camp. Had a great time.

I have taken the liberty of letting our (i.e. the Folk Project, who ran last weekend's festival) newsletter editor know about electro-music 2009, and she said she'll run a blurb on it in our May newsletter.

The Folk Project will be having another festival at Star Lake three weeks before electro-music 2009, in case there's anyone on this list who is also interested in music that is much more traditionally and acoustically oriented than your usual fare.

Also... I live only about 40 minutes by car from the camp, so if people are interested in getting together before or after electro-music 2009, it's likely that we'll be able to do something.
ark

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BobTheDog wrote:

I was thinking about hiring a car but I am not sure how much it will get used, parking in the center of NY isn't going to be easy so I may just rely on busses, trains and taxis. I saw a post saying there was a bus from NY to Bloomingdale so that is looking like the best bet to get to the event.
You absolutely do not want a car while you are in New York City.
Unless you are preternaturally lucky, you will pay as much to park a car in Manhattan as you will to rent it. In New York, unlike many other major cities, the buses, subway, and taxis run 24x7.

On the other hand, you may want to rent a car to get from New York to Bloomingdale for the weekend. If Google Maps is correct, there is a bus that goes from New York (the Port Authority bus terminal) to Bloomingdale, but it drops you off about a mile from the camp and it's mostly uphill from there.

Perhaps someone might like to think about how to arrange to pick up people from the bus stop...
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ark - Just looked at your website and Shocked I didn't realise you were Andrew Koenig, I had "Ruminations on C++" sitting on my office bookshelf when I worked for SGI, I always liked the cover, nice cows as I remember. It is a good old book that one.

What exactly is a 'Project Editor', what did you do. Can I blame you for things in C++ at all? Wink
ark

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BobTheDog wrote:
The only Star Lake Camp i can find is this Salvation Army One : http://www.starlakeyouthcamp.org/ is this the one we are going to?
Yes. They rent it out when they're not using it as a summer camp.
ark

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BobTheDog wrote:
Ark - Just looked at your website and Shocked I didn't realise you were Andrew Koenig, I had "Ruminations on C++" sitting on my office bookshelf when I worked for SGI, I always liked the cover, nice cows as I remember. It is a good old book that one.

Thanks! The cows are there, of course, because my coauthor's surname is Moo. And did you pick up all the cow puns on the back-cover copy?

(She's now my wife, by the way, but a name like Moo is too good to give up)

BobTheDog wrote:
What exactly is a 'Project Editor', what did you do. Can I blame you for things in C++ at all? Wink

The project editor is the person who holds the pen, an activity that is completely independent from the technical content written by that pen.

You can blame me for some things in C++, but after its early years, the language design was the result of a democratic process in a volunteer organization, with all of the advantages and disadvantages that come with that process.

Seven significant aspects of C++ for which I think I am mostly responsible (for better or worse):

1) The default definition of class copying and assignment is defined recursively in terms of the corresponding operations on its data members. Originally, it was defined as copying the bits of the underlying representation, with disastrous consequences for simple structures that contain complicated structures as data members.

2) The library denotes ranges by an iterator that refers to the first element of the range and one that refers to one past the last element. The original design was for the ending iterator to refer to the last element, which created problems in describing empty ranges.

3) Argument-dependent type lookup in templates, sometimes referred to as "Koenig lookup" even though I didn't invent the idea. What I did do, fairly late in the process, was convince the committee that we had a problem that we could not leave unsolved, and that despite its flaws, the solution that we ultimately adopted was the least bad of the alternatives.

4) Order-based associative arrays rather than hash tables. Although these are not an unalloyed blessing, they have the great advantage that they do not depend on users to write an effective hash function.

5) Exceptions, for which Bjarne and I co-wrote the original proposal.

6) You cannot bind a non-const reference to an rvalue.

7) Built-in operators such as comma and assignment, which return one of their arguments, do so as lvalues if the corresponding argument is an lvalue. I proved that although this rule appears to be a compatibility break with C, it is impossible to write a C program that dectes the break, which makes it a pure extension.

Is that enough detail for you? Smile
ark

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BobTheDog wrote:
I have done a little bit of research, and the two local bars are:

Also... When I was there last fall, doing a test run for our own festival, one of our group discovered a very nice, friendly, moderately priced Italian restaurant in town.

That restaurant does not have a liquor licence, but that's no problem as there is a plausible wine shop a few hundred feet away.
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Good details.

The only thing I have issue with is the Exception side but I seem to be in a minority about this nowadays.

Apart from that everything else looks good to me Smile

It will be nice to meet you though I have always been a great fan of C++.
ark

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BobTheDog wrote:
The only thing I have issue with is the Exception side but I seem to be in a minority about this nowadays.
As I said, the language design eventually moved into the hands of a volunteer democratic process. So at the point where exceptions were being discussed, the only serious question was who would design the feature, not whether it would eventually be adopted.

Given that, Bjarne and I did the best design we could. In particular, we managed--after a lot of effort--to talk the committee out of adopting exceptions that allowed an exception handler to resume execution from the point of the exception.
xjscott

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OMG, WTH, I have Ruminations on C++ as well and I certainly know who Andrew Koenig is, and have know for many many years. I have seen these posts by ark and had absolutely no idea whatsoever about this being the same person. Well, hey there dude.

Gosh, em2008 was an enlightening blast and I really want to go to this em2009, but it is so far away from these backwoods, so we'll see.
ckmurf

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Do we know the times yet? I am trying to work on flights and hotels well in advance- will this be a fly in the first morning or fly out the last night, or is this truly 3 FULL days? I think back in PA the days were 12-12, but last year was different IIRC.

http://www.myspace.com/murphyandmurphy
egw
Stream Operator

Audio files: 18
G2 patch files: 8

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Three full days - Thursday, Friday and Saturday. There are no restrictions on times this year, so we will go past midnight and probably also have some jams or drum circles, etc going before noon. The schedule is not set yet, but the regular concerts and seminars will most likely be from noon to midnight. Some of us will be there Wednesday night to set up.
Inventor
Stream Operator

Audio files: 267

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Whoot! I'm going! This will mark my second year (Oct 13) with electro-music and my 43rd year (Oct 16) on the planet. I'm bringing my ChucKstation and hopefully my guitar setup also. Count me in on the pub runs!

Les

Page 5 of 7 [151 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » electro-music.com » electro-music festivals
Jump to: