electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Optimization bug
Page 1 of 1 [2 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
ThreeFingersOfLove

Audio files: 3
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 11:15 am    Post subject: Optimization bug Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello,

I was studying Rob's version of a formant oscillator and came up with what seems to be an optimization bug. I don't remember the name of the patch - it should be in the archives. Here we go:

A red signal is patced from an OscC to one of the two inputs of an inverter module. Its output remains unconnected. I think the sole purpose of this is to force the logic module to optimize at 96 kHz; no need to patch it anywhere (Rob??). As soon as the red signal is patched to this module it turns orange.

The other output is patched to its own input and to the RandClockA module. Now the bug: If you delete the red signal from the Osc to the Inverter, the editor doesn't optimize the signals to yellow! If you delete the cable from the inverter to the ClockRandA module it still stays orange. Which is to say that the optimization process doesn't work when a signal is routed to the same module, regardless of whether it is routed to other modules as well. Why would we want an orange signal at 96k when that module is not patched anywhere? Of course, if we want to use it the resolution is going to be there, but up till that point it just takes resources. All of the above applies to any module.

Let me know what you think.

Yannis
Smile
Rob

G2 patch files: 109

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Optimization bug Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ThreeFingersOfLove wrote:
Hello,

I was studying Rob's version of a formant oscillator and came up with what seems to be an optimization bug. I don't remember the name of the patch - it should be in the archives. Here we go:

A red signal is patced from an OscC to one of the two inputs of an inverter module. Its output remains unconnected. I think the sole purpose of this is to force the logic module to optimize at 96 kHz; no need to patch it anywhere (Rob??). As soon as the red signal is patched to this module it turns orange.

The other output is patched to its own input and to the RandClockA module. Now the bug: If you delete the red signal from the Osc to the Inverter, the editor doesn't optimize the signals to yellow! If you delete the cable from the inverter to the ClockRandA module it still stays orange. Which is to say that the optimization process doesn't work when a signal is routed to the same module, regardless of whether it is routed to other modules as well. Why would we want an orange signal at 96k when that module is not patched anywhere? Of course, if we want to use it the resolution is going to be there, but up till that point it just takes resources. All of the above applies to any module.

Let me know what you think.

Yannis
Smile

Its not really a bug, this way it tries to keep feedback loops at the same sample rate. This way the calculation process can also sometimes skip recalculation when a cable is deleted. In fact, there could be some difficult desgin choice behind this behaviour, it is consequent behaviour.
Page 1 of 1 [2 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: