electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Discussion » Schmooze
Why is IDM scene so limited in the US?
Page 2 of 4 [89 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
Static Strobe Emitter

Audio files: 243

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 2:56 am    Post subject: Well... Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

now when i give it a second thought, I think i made my vision
of "microbeat+idm" a little to hardcoreish :////
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

seraph wrote:
As a teenager I use to play keyboards in a band called "Pianola Gay"

Then I moved on playing with the "Granola Gray" and I ended up with the "Fartola Toy": we were playing HBM (Human Body Music, if you know what I mean Shocked )

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

WOW! That must have been art! My brows are going places right now when I think about seeing the Fartola Toy live!
seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

We hit Number 1 on the SSM/SYN Charts
by the way SSM/SYN stands for Stinky Smelling Music/Shut Your Nose Shocked Shocked Mad

Quote:
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Fame! You are now entitled to an unlimited supply of nice shoes.. Imelda Marcos style! GRATS!
seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am sure you saw our video on STV:
"A stench to rule them all"

btw STV stands for Stench TV!

Quote:
Static Strobe Emitter

Audio files: 243

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 6:25 am    Post subject: :///////// Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

=//////////////

Im getting too young for this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Anyway.. I got some Static Strobe Emitter files from those urls of yours.. great sounds. And that video is really kool!
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Interesting tracks, Static and Elektro80. Thanks for posting them.

Maybe microbeats describe subdivisions of a beat by more than what is traditional, say by more than 1/64.

Technically, the term microbeat is probably incorrect. I'm sure most music that uses microbeats is more correctly centibeats, or at best millibeats. To get microbeats, wouldn't you have to be sampling at a million parts of a beat. Most of this kind of "micro" music has a BPM of about 120 or more, so the beat would last about 0.5 seconds. If we divide that by 1,000,000 (or 1.000.000 for our European friends), then we get a microbeat is 0.0000005 seconds. That corresponds to 2 MHz. In order to satisfy the Nyquist theory, you'd have to have a sample rate of 4 MHz, not to mention some really good ears.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Holy Batman, Howard Shocked

Quote:
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:

Technically, the term microbeat is probably incorrect. I'm sure most music that uses microbeats is more correctly centibeats, or at best millibeats. To get microbeats, wouldn't you have to be sampling at a million parts of a beat. Most of this kind of "micro" music has a BPM of about 120 or more, so the beat would last about 0.5 seconds. If we divide that by 1,000,000 (or 1.000.000 for our European friends), then we get a microbeat is 0.0000005 seconds. That corresponds to 2 MHz. In order to satisfy the Nyquist theory, you'd have to have a sample rate of 4 MHz, not to mention some really good ears.

YES! Exactly..! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: some of my thoughts on IDM Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

zynthetix wrote:
www.telefontelaviv.com

I dig the Telefon Tel Aviv track, but virtually everything I have listened to on the wrap site isn't as, well, shall we say, intelligent. Can you point to a few more mp3s?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmm.. .. well.. yes.. this is not more intelligent that say jazz.. or less.. depending on how you like jazz..
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
Hmm.. .. well.. yes.. this is not more intelligent that say jazz.. or less.. depending on how you like jazz..

I mean more intelligent dance music. I have a love/hate thing with jazz.
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

We all do... with jazz that is...
zynthetix

Audio files: 10
G2 patch files: 13

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Can you point to a few more mp3s?

i think savath + savalas has an "intelligent" feel to the music...somewhat different from telefon tel aviv because it has a more "acoustic" feeling to it....whatever that means Wink

you can download a song here:
http://www.audiogalaxy.com/list/artistInfo.php?&band_id=72433

but you have to click on this icon to download it:
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

A few tracks come to mind, but I don't know where you could find them on the net. If you want I could make a mix for you to hear on cd
AgentA

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

micro isn't always referring to one millionth.
For example microtonal, or microbrewery.

tones for the head
seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

AgentA wrote:

AgentA you are right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
what about microcephaly: a condition of abnormal smallness of the head usually associated with mental defects

the smallness they talk about does not mean one has a head the size of a pinhead Shocked Very Happy Shocked Very Happy

Quote:
AgentA

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Laughing seraph! Laughing

tones for the head
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

AgentA wrote:
For example microtonal, or microbrewery.

Yes, I guess some uses of the term comes from microscopic. I'm an engineer and we use these terms with precision. If we use the unprecise meaning of the word, then microbeats is just as meaningless, or meaningfull, as the terms microsound or micromusic. Actually, these are all obsolete. If the terms are referring to music or sound made with microprocessors. Virtually all integrated circuits today are made with sub-micron technologies. The music of the future won't be micromusic, but nanomusic made with nanosounds. Of course, nanobeats too; made on nanoprocessors Cool Laughing Rolling Eyes
seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
The music of the future won't be micromusic, but nanomusic made with nanosounds. Of course, nanobeats too; made on nanoprocessors Cool Laughing Rolling Eyes

the word "nano" in Italian means dwarf. read the above sentence substituting dwarf to nano and you'll have a futuristic (snooty, Howard?) nonsense. Shocked

Quote:
AgentA

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Laughing I concede micro beats is an inaccurate term thanks to your analysis Howard. However, it appears its use is becoming prevalent. In a previous post I point to a couple of reviews that use the term. Below is yet another instance. I'd like to add that "micro-beats" isn't restricted to use in idm as I've also heard it in other types of music.

from a "customer review" :

"However gentle, both albums by Mùm also have a strong rhythmic structure, mostly based on "micro-beats." It is the latter that provides the crackly effect people often mention when describing their music. Through repetition and layering, these micro-beats create a suggestive and very hypnotic atmosphere (the kind of warmth one feels at wintertime in front of a - well... "crackling" - fire when the wind is gushing outdoors). The female components of Mùm (two twin sisters) sing to the music in a sweet, gentle, almost childlike fashion, which of course adds to the charm enormously. All in all, repeated micro-beats (often similar to the mechanical chiming of a music box), romantic overlying melodies and graceful vocal renderings make listening to Mùm's music a very soothing experience. "

Howard - "Maybe microbeats describe subdivisions of a beat by more than what is traditional, say by more than 1/64. "

Yes, add that to what I would expect as described in one of my earlier posts. The opposite direction would be 1/32 > 1/16 > 1/8 right?

As I listen to the music described as having micro-beats it appears that there are many variations as to what they could be. From arrhythmic crackling to blips and bleeps used percussively. What they have in common is that they are small sounds used for rhythmic purposes. Sometimes they sound mechanical and unnatural, (and to correct my earlier post ) sometimes they resemble sounds that are organic and natural.

I think if I knew how these sounds were created by the artists I've heard it from, it would be easier to explain.

I've used recordings of pop rock candy in my mouth and potatoes frying in a pan for the purpose of creating "microbeats", but that's just me.

tones for the head
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I see what you mean. These would be audio events that occur a bit off the main metric pulse.. the events are shaped to sound a bit organic and the way they are used these are considered by the listener to be part of the music. You can make these any which way you want. It sounds trendy.

OK.. let us say you check out some of the ethnic music notation from that first book by Peter Michael hamel. Then play those on woodblock samples .. then increase the tempo and mess around with the event envelopes a bit and then you get something like.. rain on the roof.. then you can add in various patternes on top with offsets that will shift over time. Ten layers of this and you end up with a rythmic rain that pulses. Reread the score and figure out how to have a solid four on the floor going with some sinus bass drum sounds.. then fiddle with the woodblock patterns so you get phaseshifting and melodic phrasing in the pulses. See.. conventional use of rythm is not that conventional.. You now have a party beat with something completely different on top..

To have even more fun you can do cymbals in vocoders driven by the woodblock tracks.. a bit more tweaking and you have a new rythm going there.

Last edited by elektro80 on Fri Oct 31, 2003 7:52 am; edited 1 time in total
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Benito Mussolini was a nano ?? Not??
Shocked Shocked
seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
Benito Mussolini was a nano ?? Not??
Shocked Shocked

Are you talking to me?

Quote:
Page 2 of 4 [89 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Discussion » Schmooze