electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Alesis Andromeda
Playing A6 with breath contoller - anyone tried this?
Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
purpurkatten

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:39 pm    Post subject: Playing A6 with breath contoller - anyone tried this? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I´m interested in playing the A6 with a breath controller.

I guess all I would need is the Yamaha BC3 breath controller, http://www.musicstore.de/de_DE/EUR/Yamaha-BC-3-Breathcontroller-/art-SYN0000394-000
and a Breath to midi box, in which I put the BC3 breath controller, http://www.musicstore.de/de_DE/EUR/Midi-Solution-Breath-to-Midi-Box-Midi-Prozessor/art-PCM0005506-000
The Breath to midi box is connected to the A6 via midi in.

Would this work with the A6, has anybody tried this?

Any thoughts?
Tim Kleinert

Audio files: 7
G2 patch files: 236

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've tried it and don't recommend it, at all.

The digital modulation engine of the A6 clocks at mere 100Hz and is not smoothed, so you will get subtle (or not so subtle) intermodulation and staircasing artefacts when driving parameters with a breath controller (or any 7-bit MIDI controller for that matter) , especially with medium to high mod ranges.

This is the achilles heel of the A6.
purpurkatten

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for your help.

I guess I could try Digital ear or some other audio-to-midi software, though. Anybody tried that with any luck?

All A6 programming pros, don´t hesitate to put together your best patches and make them available on the Internet! If you´d like to charge a reasonable fee for others to download them, that is fine by me! The more attention and patches and community for the Andromeda, the better!
purpurkatten

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What I´m after is some way of getting the A6 to SING. I´m talking of the synth responding to midi signals beyond pressing the keys and/or the ribbon, in more of a flute/singing kind of type, rather than standard key dynamics.

Breath controller midi is apparently out of the question.

Recording notes I´m singing/playing with flute/similar and then converting the signals from audio to midi is another question. Anybody tried that?

Any more ideas to make the A6 sing?

All A6 programming pros, don´t hesitate to put together your best patches and make them available on the Internet! If you´d like to charge a reasonable fee for others to download them, that is fine by me! The more attention and patches and community for the Andromeda, the better!
The Real MC

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The breath controller will work much better using the A6 rear panel control pedal input which will have better response than a 7-bit MIDI CC.

You'll need a converter circuit for the breath controller. I've got one on my webspace but I'll have to dig for it and get back to you.
purpurkatten

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Please do, sounds interesting! Smile
The Real MC

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

http://www.retrosynth.com/~analoguediehard/studio/keyboards/kurzweil_midiboard/yamaha-breath-controller.jpg
purpurkatten

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the tip, The Real MC!

I´m no techie though. Do you know if anyone has this for sale?

Shreddie

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cheers for that MC. I don't have a breath controller yet but I'm planning on getting one in a few months so I'll have to knock up one of those converters and see how it goes.
doperobot

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:24 am    Post subject: wouldn't suggest it Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i tried for a long time to get a breath controller to work. the best i eventually got was for the patch to respond to notes, but it never got to the point where it was 'expressive'. it may be possible, but if it is, it's not easy.
Infrablue

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Breath control absolutely is an amazing way to modulate the Andromeda. I was blown away to find after I got my Andromeda that it has CV inputs... since I also play wind synth.. (I play a Steiner EVI... a prototype that has CV outputs.)

Because of "life" it took me forever to finally wire up the EVI directly and try it out... I did it tonight and it was just really fun and works great...

I got the breath opening up closed filters and it was just perfectly smooth. So the Andromeda sounds were easy to articulate like a wind instrument (even double, triple tonguing etc).

But there is more... since it is analog, if you hum while you play it, your voice actually modulates the filter as well and your growl goes right into the andromeda path. That was exciting! I do that with the EVI it's self but hearing that through the A6 just filled my head with implications of all sorts of modulation... and just sounded cool on the filter it's self.

You could do all of this with the CV filter input using a Yamaha BC1 etc... any BC, but the trick will be to get someone to convert it to CV, not midi. I also play the Yamaha CS-01 with a BC input and it is analog smooth, so I know it can be done with the right circuit. I can also hum into the CS-01 and growl the filter with my own voice. So this could work with a BC and the right CV wiring... wish I knew better how to do that.

Anyway... very excited to finally have this working, if just in the early stages... I'll get some samples of this stuff up when I can...
Infrablue

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:33 pm    Post subject: A6 filters using CV Breath Control - Steiner EVI Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Some real time playing around with CV input using a Steiner EVI as a breath control source. Notes and pitch bend played on Andromeda's keyboard.

All the modulation of volume, tone and filters are done in real time with the breath control through CV input by normal blowing as well as humming with my own voice into the EVI, multi tonguing and pallet fluttering into the EVI. Sound its self is from the Andromeda VCO's etc.

A Yamaha BC can do this stuff as well but it would need to be converted to CV instead of midi.

The playing is a little clumsy and also exaggerated to show the modulation... For most of the patches here, I usually like less resonance on a melodic line but these demonstrate the CV quite well.

Near the last half the resonance and growling grow progressively more extreme for demonstration. There are about 4 different patches throughout.

I was up all night excitedly playing around with the CV input... glad I finally got around to trying it! So happy to finally get breath control going on an Andromeda!

And here are a few tracks from about 17 years ago with melodies done on that same EVI using it's own analog sound module to compare. (Initial flute sound is EVI playing VL70-m module in a duet with an analog EVI square wave.)

Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Alesis Andromeda
Jump to: