electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Developers' Corner
tailoring pots
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
scriptstyle

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:23 pm    Post subject: tailoring pots Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i know this subject is alittle beat to death so sorry in advance.

tailoring pots, i have read: http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folders/potsecrets/potscret.htm

http://sound.westhost.com/pots.htm#taper

and also have had a print out of the elby article.

these have been a great help in my learning! but up untill this point i actually havent needed to tailor a linear pot. i would just add them to my list for futurlec orders. just yesterday i realized i had enough 1m linear pots to finish up my yusynth adsr. so i read through my printout of the elby article, and for some reason i got the idea that your fixed resistor value needed to be 1/10th the pots total resistance? this didnt seem right to me. so i did some more research(thinking maybe i just read it wrong). this brought me to the other 2 resources. the first one dosnt give any ideal values so i was still alittle lost. but the begineers guide to pots was real good. they give an example of "The "ideal" value by calculation is 22k for a 100k pot, and this gives a maximum deviation of +1.58 and -1.7dB from a real log curve" and then also state "it really should be 35k for a 100k pot, but the error when using 33k is minimal (about 0.16 dB at centre position)". this made me feel alittle better. i now feel that im more on the right track. given these real world numbers it made it easyier for me to figure out.

so for my application i am using a 1m lin pot with a fixed resistor of the value 1% 350k = 1m log. is this correct or am i missing something?

i wish i had the time or the know how to chart out the resistance.
scriptstyle

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just getting around to finishing this module up. I have re considered and I'm going to use a 250k fixed res on the 1m pot. This is 25% of the pots value, And is what elby suggest in the article.
LetterBeacon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Funnily enough I'm also putting the finishing touches to a Yusynth ADSR module and have come across the same problem. The 1Meg log pots I own have a slightly too long shafts on them, although I do have some 1Meg lin pots lying around.

I'll be very interested to hear how you get on....
fonik

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i used 1/10th value of potentiometer for the fixed resitor.

here is a little java applet calculating the response curve for a lin2log mod:
http://www.mindspring.com/~clist/PotGraph.html

LetterBeacon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the link Fonik! So the aim is to get the closest match between the red and blue line?

For a 1M pot, 100K seems to get the closest to the blue line, although 250K seems to follow the blue line's curve a bit better. Think I might go for 100K.
fonik

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

LetterBeacon wrote:
Thanks for the link Fonik! So the aim is to get the closest match between the red and blue line?

this is not a game Laughing
but yes, that's it. however, who could say what you want? just try some values and decide... maybe you won't even recognize a diffrence between 100k and 250k.

Quote:
For a 1M pot, 100K seems to get the closest to the blue line, although 250K seems to follow the blue line's curve a bit better. Think I might go for 100K.

scriptstyle

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I used 270k and I must say 100k would probaly be less touchy.
LetterBeacon

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My reading of that first article you posted is that you can't turn a linear tapered pot to a log tapered pot if the pot is being used as a variable resistor (i.e. only having two terminals hooked up). You can only do the trick if the pot is being used as a variable voltage divider (i.e. all three terminals are used).

On YuSynth's ADSR module, the log tapered pots are used as variable resistors, so we can't use this trick here, can we?

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
scriptstyle

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

LetterBeacon wrote:
My reading of that first article you posted is that you can't turn a linear tapered pot to a log tapered pot if the pot is being used as a variable resistor (i.e. only having two terminals hooked up). You can only do the trick if the pot is being used as a variable voltage divider (i.e. all three terminals are used).

On YuSynth's ADSR module, the log tapered pots are used as variable resistors, so we can't use this trick here, can we?

yes this is true ^

you can make a linear pot "emulate" a log as a variable resistor. but you really end up with a reverse log.
LetterBeacon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ah I see. Is the module still usable with the pots set as reverse log? Can you dial in values easy enough?
scriptstyle

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's ok at best
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Developers' Corner
Jump to: