electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Jürgen Haible designs
"Son Of Storm Tide" Flanger
Page 1 of 14 [330 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2, 3, ..., 12, 13, 14 Next

interested?
yes
97%
 97%  [ 43 ]
no
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 44

jhaible

Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:09 am    Post subject: "Son Of Storm Tide" Flanger Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A few ideas came into my head today, how to turn my Storm Tide Flanger (or something derived from it) into a PCB project.

Storm Tide is shown here:
http://www.jhaible.de/jh_storm_tide_flanger.html

This is also the device I've used for the delay part of my analogue physical modelling experiments:
http://www.jhaible.de/jh_ana_phys_mod.html

Just testing how big (or small) the interest in such a project would be.
(That would comprise of two PCBs, i.e. EUR 54 + shipping.)

Let me know ...

JH.

"I tell you the truth, if anyone says to this mountain, 'Go, throw yourself into the sea,' and does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen, it will be done for him. Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours." (Mk 11,23f)
mono-poly

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Jurgen is unstopable.
And me to with buying pcbs Razz
TekniK

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Jawohl! but 2 boards!?

Am looking something like the modcan flanger for physical modelling tryouts.

but if its with an ocean of parts again,and twice. Sad

Could u give more details plz,or a shot of the inside of the blue box would make things much clear maybe..
StephenGiles

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

TekniK wrote:
Jawohl! but 2 boards!?

Could u give more details plz,or a shot of the inside of the blue box would make things much clear maybe..

The Modcan Flanger was designed I think by Mike Irwin, who has recently disappeared from the various forums. If you're out there Mike I hope you are well and still designing. Mike posted a sample of thru zero flanging achieved with just one BBD and presumably fixed phase shift networks (I'm guessing) but I don't know if it was done using the modcan.
Funky40

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 5

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm in Smile

i'm also very interested in the modcan Flanger but can't afford this.
Is there some similaritys soundwise ?
http://www.modcan.com/bseries/modulesb.html
module 38B
numbertalk

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow, you are really productive Smile

Will this use the SAD1024? The inability to get one, or the cost, would be the only thing to make me sit this one out, so you can most likely count me in for a board!
2thick4uni

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'd definitely have a set of boards, storm tide style flanger + physical modelling would do it for me! Very Happy

Allan
jhaible

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

TekniK wrote:
Jawohl! but 2 boards!?

Hmm ... I try to put a lot of extra stuff on my PCBs so you have more value for money .. but you can omit parts of th ecircuit if you want less.
For instance, half of my upcoming Variable Slope Filter / Phaser is a very complex LFO with crossfade of waveforms, and a Sample and Hold, and audio rate modulation. If you don't want this, you simply omit it and leave half the PCB unpopulated.

In case of the Son Of Storm Tide, I'll probably make one board with the audio part, discrete compander and clock circuit, and one board with power supply and a lot of interesting modulation circuits. So if you want a Flanger for your modular, you simply buy the audio board only. If you want a standalone unit, you buy both boards.

JH.

"I tell you the truth, if anyone says to this mountain, 'Go, throw yourself into the sea,' and does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen, it will be done for him. Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours." (Mk 11,23f)
TekniK

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok thanks Juergen.

Your designs suits more the stand-alone box effect,am thinking more modular wise

For example when u design an uber VC lfo with all bits and pieces ,put 3 like this on 1 pcb and done.
This way there is the most complex lfo avail-able that can be patched to any module rather then including more or less complex lfo's on each separated design

But maybe am wrong,anyhow from the start ur adding complex modulation source to a design this one could stand and sell alone as well.
jhaible

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

TekniK wrote:

Your designs suits more the stand-alone box effect,am thinking more modular wise

For me it's important to cover *both*. As I said, it's always possible to omit the components you don't need in the modular application, and still not have a bigger PCB than the average synth module has.

In fact, I even think about selling my variable slope phaser / filter PCB as a "scanned LFO" module as well. Omit the phaser part, and you still get an unusual modulation source for a decent price.

Or forget about the Phaser and Modulation source: Omit the LFO and scanner part, and also omit the electronic switches - and just build a Variable Slope 6-pole VCF (with 36dB/Octave filter slope). I don't want to come across braggy, but I think the price I'm asking for my PCBs might be a good deal for just that 36dB-VCF function alone. And the components you have to buy would be ridiculously cheap. (No more sea of components.)

But this should be over in the other thread about the phaser. I just wanted to use it as an example for my general design philosophy here. I can always layout a PCB that is less dense. I guess making a board with half the components would take 1/10 of my time. But it would be less fun. Smile

Quote:

But maybe am wrong,anyhow from the start ur adding complex modulation source to a design this one could stand and sell alone as well.

I hope so! Smile

JH.

numbertalk

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Will this PCB use the SAD1024 or do you plan to redesign at all to work well with another possibly more readily available chip? On your site you do mention being able to use other chips but also say you'd have to redesign your circuit a bit to do so - will it be easier to drop in a different chip set with this PCB?
jhaible

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

numbertalk wrote:
Will this PCB use the SAD1024 or do you plan to redesign at all to work well with another possibly more readily available chip? On your site you do mention being able to use other chips but also say you'd have to redesign your circuit a bit to do so - will it be easier to drop in a different chip set with this PCB?

No SAD1024.

Either TDA1022, or something else.

JH.

numbertalk

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great, then definitely count me in!

jhaible wrote:
numbertalk wrote:

No SAD1024.

Either TDA1022, or something else.

JH.
jhaible

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If there are enough TDA1022 around, that will be my first choice. It's been used in the TAM-19 Flanger, after all.

If the TDA1022 really starts to dry up (I still have a lot of triple chorus boards I want to sell, and there's always the Elka Synthex Chorus lurking in the background with its four 1022's ... oops ... I shouldn't say too much ....) - well I normally don't like like the low voltage BBDs, but *maybe* I find a decent workaround to use them in that *particular* project. Maybe, maybe not.

JH.

Moogah

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sweet Cool A good analog flanger is a noticeable hole in my current arsenal of effects. I'm in for one.
whomper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm in for one as well.

Home Page: http://www.yaary.com
Buy my CDs at http://www.mellowjet.de
zthee

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'd be interested in one set of boards!
wicked1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

TekniK wrote:
Ok thanks Juergen.

I'm really liking the built in LFO's and extras. I am very modular minded these days, but the things that are included are things that would be patched 80% of the time anyway. Then, I haven't seen the schematics, but I'm guessing you could use the LFO from something like the filter, as just an LFO for another module if you aren't using it for the filter at that time.

The built on extras have inspired me to build a little JH section of my modular.. probably actually in its own cabinet, and w/ a default patch. That way friends who don't usually use modulars will be able to just plug it in, and play what would usually be a very busy patch.

(think of the savings in patch cable cost alone Smile)
JoeMorris

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Having just completed the Triple Chorus as my first DIY project and loving it, you can definitely count me in for one of these. Ive still got a couple of spare TDA1022s from that too, so if it uses those then double thumbs up.
oldschool57

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What features will this unit have as compared to the original Storm Tide?
Bounce? Foldback? Env. Mod/Release? Etc, etc...
Thanks!
Dave
jhaible

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

oldschool57 wrote:
What features will this unit have as compared to the original Storm Tide?
Bounce? Foldback? Env. Mod/Release? Etc, etc...
Thanks!
Dave

That's not decided yet ...

JH.

jhaible

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's official!

I'm taking a break from Vocoder design (I knew I couldn't do that in one go!), and meanwhile it's time to get that Flanger on the way!

I think it will be better than the old Storm Tide, in that it features symmetrical 1/x modulation (for faked TZF) as well as a temperature compensated V/Oct tracking (for Physical Modelling).

I attach a screenshot of an earl ystage of the PCB design to this post ...

JH.

soneofstormtide_flanger_early_preview.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  389.52 KB
 Viewed:  665 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

soneofstormtide_flanger_early_preview.jpg

whomper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great! Looking forward for that project.

Which of the more obscure components will be present? I saw the 2xTDA1022

Home Page: http://www.yaary.com
Buy my CDs at http://www.mellowjet.de
jhaible

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

whomper wrote:
Great! Looking forward for that project.

Which of the more obscure components will be present? I saw the 2xTDA1022

Yes, the TDA1022's. And a 1k tempco resistor. One 3086 (or 3046). The rest is garden variety stuff.

JH.

vtl5c3

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Does anyone know of a source for more TDA1022s? I just searched the web and found nothing.
Page 1 of 14 [330 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2, 3, ..., 12, 13, 14 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Jürgen Haible designs
Jump to: