electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Chameleon
The Return of the Chameleon!
Page 1 of 1 [20 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:30 pm    Post subject: The Return of the Chameleon! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cool!

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
DrJustice

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Woohoo! Very cool indeed! Very Happy

For those not in the know, Paul has hosted the Chameleon pages for years, ensuring that it's not out of sight and forgotten.

Soundart should've hired Paul as chief evangelist Idea

DJ
--
lordavon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:02 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ARRGGHHH, someone found the video!

I look rough in that video, it was a VERY late night the night before Smile

And I worked closely with SoundArt before their un-timly demise. I helped where I could, who knows what QiX will bring.

Thanks for the feedback and comments.

Paul
Noiseconformist

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 3:03 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hm ... any news on this?
BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dead as a Dodo.
Tristan

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I prefer to think of it as dormant...
lordavon

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Smile

Not exactly dormant, we've been working a little bit and things had slacked off... we're now back and rolling...

Best place for updates is - http://www.imx31synth.info as the URL implies, we've dropped the coldfire and are now using an ARM based cpu for the main CPU.
The reasons are pretty obvious, more power, MMU and excellent support for Linux.

Current plan is to use an imx31 and 56371 (or 56721) for the processing, lots of inputs and outputs, including ethernet for the Linux part.

Paul
Noiseconformist

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 4:34 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Paul, happy to hear that!
I dare to ask (to support really mean processing Cool ) - any chance to see a DC-coupled I/O on the DSP-side?
Michael.

BobTheDog

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thats good news, the dodo still walks...

It would be really good to see it fly.

Andy
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Andy
you are already busy trying to fly a pacarana Wink

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Seraph brings to mind a logical question, why not use that Pacarana? It is a bit pricey but it's got the "industrial" support behind it. Kyma is used quite a bit by professional sound designers for games and movies and such. I think they made the right move to take the audio interfaces out of it. AFAIK, it's very open. You can use your own DSP code if you want or work all the way up the hierarchy chain.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well Guys I am using the Pacarana, I'm not mad you know Shocked

I have been using it in nearly every waking moment since it arrived and am up to page 111 of the manual at the moment. I keep getting sidetracked from the tutorials though thinking "I wonder what will happen if I do this".

It is quite interesting as Kyma just seems to make sense to me, much more than the G2 and Reaktor do. Maybe it is to do with my software background. Also the idea of Sounds being little encapsulations that can be slotted into a graph makes sense to me, I wish the G2 had this kind of idea.

Unfortunately the SDK to enable DSP to be written is not yet available for the Pacarana and end user Capy DSP sounds do not work on it either.

Don't worry about me not using it I am totally addicted Razz

Cheers

Andy
lordavon

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
Seraph brings to mind a logical question, why not use that Pacarana? It is a bit pricey but it's got the "industrial" support behind it. Kyma is used quite a bit by professional sound designers for games and movies and such. I think they made the right move to take the audio interfaces out of it. AFAIK, it's very open. You can use your own DSP code if you want or work all the way up the hierarchy chain.

Smile
Good question, let me answer it...

firstly, I like Kyma, they're one of the few companies really pushing unique architecture development and processing rather than being stove piped and using a DSP for a single purpose.

ok, first point, cost.. out target price for QiX is $500 for the base system, with an option of swapping the DSP (56371) for a more powerful one (56720 or 56720) at a later date.

Secondly, QiX will be open source, the ARM side is running Linux (not uC linux, full linux with MMU).

Thirdly, it'll have audio interfaces, midi, ethernet and USB on the box. So you can take it out, plug it and start making music, without the need for a PC. We're also planning to include a 7" WVGA touch screen on there, but that is very much depedant on the cost we can get them for.

And as for coding, it'll be wide open, you'll be able to write your OWN dsp code (assembly unless you can afford the swanky C compilers). We won't even bolt you down to using Linux, so if you feel like rolling your own OS you can do that.

Quote:

any chance to see a DC-coupled I/O on the DSP-side

Michael, as for your question, nice idea, I'll see what we can do.. though if the cost for these get's too high, we may not be able to do DC coupled ADC/DAC.
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Paul,

Any idea when QiX will see the light of day?

Cheers

Andy
lordavon

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Andy,

I'm working with the guys to try and get "something" to show at this years SynthDIY in cambridge, though it may only be the two dev boards linked together running a basic mixer application (the DSP board has 8 ins and 8 outs, something we hope to retain on the final version, subject to cost).

Paul
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the info, keep us updated.

When is SunthDIY? I may come up and visit.

Cheers

Andy
lordavon

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The next UK SynthDIY is the weekend of the 18th of July - http://www.diy.synth.net/uk/ it's a great weekend and well worth coming if you can.

Paul
Noiseconformist

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

lordavon wrote:
Andy,
I'm working with the guys to try and get "something" to show at this years SynthDIY in cambridge, though it may only be the two dev boards linked together running a basic mixer application (the DSP board has 8 ins and 8 outs, something we hope to retain on the final version, subject to cost).
Paul

Hey Paul - definitely looking forward to see you there! Smile

Noiseconformist

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 4:35 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

lordavon wrote:

ok, first point, cost.. out target price for QiX is $500 for the base system, with an option of swapping the DSP (56371) for a more powerful one (56720 or 56720) at a later date.

Secondly, QiX will be open source, the ARM side is running Linux (not uC linux, full linux with MMU).

Thirdly, it'll have audio interfaces, midi, ethernet and USB on the box. So you can take it out, plug it and start making music, without the need for a PC. We're also planning to include a 7" WVGA touch screen on there, but that is very much depedant on the cost we can get them for.

And as for coding, it'll be wide open, you'll be able to write your OWN dsp code (assembly unless you can afford the swanky C compilers). We won't even bolt you down to using Linux, so if you feel like rolling your own OS you can do that.

Quote:

any chance to see a DC-coupled I/O on the DSP-side

Michael, as for your question, nice idea, I'll see what we can do.. though if the cost for these get's too high, we may not be able to do DC coupled ADC/DAC.

Paul,
that all sounds very promising!
I'm not sure about form factor etc. and therefore how easily it could be incorporated hardwarewise, but if it was DC-coupled (at least partly and/or as an option?) I really could see that thing being fully integrated into the analogue synthesis world - IMHO that would be a real bonus (and I'm not speaking of doing ENVs and LFOs - that's what PICs are good for Wink
Let's see ... and hope! Smile
cheers! m.

mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

lordavon wrote:

Good question, let me answer it...

thanks

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Page 1 of 1 [20 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Chameleon
Jump to: