electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
G2 as mixer / effects unit
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
purusha

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 3:06 am    Post subject: G2 as mixer / effects unit Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Since someone mentioned this in another thread, I thought it might be worth exploring the possibilities and maybe take suggestions on how I can build on what I'm currently doing. Hopefully might spark some ideas which other people might pick up on and use too.

This'll might be a bit rambling...

Smile

Using the G2 as effects unit and mixer is something I've been trying out on-stage recently.

At the minute, I'm mostly doing add-on synths with a mate (OVNI, as per my signature), but am trying to find more time to generate my own new material for future live sets.

If I discount guitar, which I play through a Line 6 Pod XT live, I typically take out my Nord Lead 3 and G2. Also recently added a Nord Wave to the arsenal. I find the NL3 very useful in terms of radically modifying patches on-the-fly, so it's useful to have that with me.

I've used the G2 as outboard insert effects for the NL3 and that works quite well.

The problem I typically get though is: changing patches on the G2 causing disruption to incoming signals or loss of inputs completely if the patch isn't set up for external inputs with effects.

If I want to actually play an oscillator based patch on the G2, I can either lose the external inputs or configure each patch with an almost identical mixer / effects set-up for external kit. That becomes quite painful to maintain, unless anyone has any cunning ideas on that front. I haven't played with slots too much yet, maybe that's the way forward? My G2's unexpanded at the minute, but I don't tend to use any outrageously complex patches.

I do have various other options though, but it's a balance in terms of what kit I want to take out and sometimes how much room I'll have. I've also got 3 Boss VF1 Swiss-Army-Knife effects units which work well as back-end units for the synths. G2 as effects unit is arguably much more powerful in terms of esoteric routing and layering of effects.

Any interesting thoughts and suggestions on what can be done when using G2 as mixer / effects unit?

egw
Stream Operator

Audio files: 18
G2 patch files: 8

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I always have slot D set up as a dedicated mixer/effects processor. It provides delay and reverb for the busses and external inputs. All of my other patches, instead of including reverb and delay, just send their output to one of the busses. Patches that use chorus or phasers, etc. have those built in. Some patches also have delay or reverb built in, if they use them in a less "conventional" way. I have three different versions of the mixer patch, with different values for the max delay/reverb times.

mixer.pch2
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  mixer.pch2
 Filesize:  2.39 KB
 Downloaded:  1986 Time(s)

purusha

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Using a slot like that might be a good way forward.

Will look into it - thanks!

BTW - it'd be nice if the 2nd expansion board run were to happen eh?

Wink

iPassenger

Audio files: 5
G2 patch files: 78

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

When I was without a mixer I used the G2 as a line mixer for my MD and Korg ESX and of course the G2 sounds.

Similar to above I created a performance with a patch in SLOT D, which was essentially two stereo inputs (1+2=esx, 3+4=MD) mixed with 2 stereo add-along mixers which were then patched to the output. I saved the performance into the first performance slot on my g2, so everytime i switched the G2 on, the MD and ESX signals would be patched and mixed straight through to outputs 1+2. Even without opening the editor ro changing any settings.

purusha

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I had a good play with various configurations over the weekend.

Unfortunately, I don't think G2 is giving me the best results.

My VF1s, when used as back-end effects on my NL3 sound really, really nice. I set up a series of phaser/flanger, delay and a touch of reverb on the VF1 and then similar on the G2.

The VF1 wipes the floor with G2 (to my ears at least). VF1 also makes it easier to set up a stereo delay, which is possible on G2, but required 2 delays to be configured. That also means changing 2 settings each time I want to change a parameter (e.g. feedback).

VF1 does seem to nicely fill out all the missing effects features on the NL3. I bet Boss/Roland aren't still making them though...

The other method, which will require me to take out more kit is: to use my TC M-One XL as delay / reverb unit in a more traditional configuration on one of my mixing desks.

That really does sound good IMO, but it would still be nice to use the modulation effects on the VF1 with NL3. That makes set-up a bit more complicated, but yields best results.

One issue with delays is: synchronising everything for different tempos. I might consider getting either another M-One, or a D-Two for the desk to give me more flexibility and a single point of set-up for delays. M-One is dual engine, so for 2 mono sends I get delay and reverb (not stereo delay though).

The one thing you do get with the G2 effects though is: flexibility.

If I could get latency down far enough, I'd also consider using my laptop's processing capabilities in Ableton Live. That'd give me maximum flexibility.

Edit: there is one config I've used in the past I haven't mentioned. I tried this at a gig once, but got 'noise' problems and used the G2 instead: connecting my NL3 in mono to a Boss GT6 guitar multi-effects stomp box. Now that's something I should probably try again. Full flexibility in terms of effect sequence and lovely sound from chorus/flanger etc. Also, the pedal can be configured to control pretty-much anything. Must have another crack at that one and see if I can get to the bottom of the noise problems (low frequency hum).

No obvious 'right' way to approach it though it seems. Any radical ideas from you guys would be very welcome.

Wink

Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: