electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Building Blocks
Polyphonic Unison
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Tim Kleinert

Audio files: 7
G2 patch files: 236

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 7:26 am    Post subject: Polyphonic Unison
Subject description: driving a patch of choice with dynamic polyphonic unison
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

At request of a fellow G2 user and forum member, here is my shot at the polyphonic unison problem.

...and problem it is! Shocked Laughing DIY voice allocation is a tough bugger. Rolling Eyes I have a hunch how it could be done the DIY way, but it's a very brainy and klutzy affair as usual. It would boil down to creating dynamic RAM memory lookup-tables with read and write options. Can be done by lockstepping a counter circuit to a clocked delay module and stuff. But it would reach a high level of fiddlyness, and I don't want to go there right now. Laughing

So here's a simpler solution based on interslot MIDI. One slot contains the MIDI driver and you can create a polyphonic patch of choice in another. There are a few drawbacks though. If you want to change the slot to be driven, you have to change the slot settings accordingly in 8 MIDI note-send modules, which is a bit tiresome, but not that much of a big deal.
Also, you unfortunately can't use any MIDI velocity control in the poly-patch, as this is used to transmit the unison-spread information. If you don't need this (eg. using voice-randomising instead), you can free up velocity control again. In the driver, just patch the keyboard velocity output into all the note-send velocity inputs, and you're done.

This is presented as a performance, with the MIDI driver in slot A and a stupid demo poly patch (sorry...) in slot B. You can stack up to 8 voices. Also, notice the colored modules in the poly patch, which are needed to provide the detune- and pan-spread functionality. Hope it is clear.

cheers,
tim

PolyUnison TK.prf2
 Description:
driving a patch of choice with dynamic polyphonic unison

Download
 Filename:  PolyUnison TK.prf2
 Filesize:  8.31 KB
 Downloaded:  1560 Time(s)

Chrono

Audio files: 37
G2 patch files: 38

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wonderfull!! ill go test it right away
Tim Kleinert

Audio files: 7
G2 patch files: 236

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cool. Smile

BTW, I couldn't resist after all Wink and tried different tricky solutions involving DIY voice allocation schemes and multiplexing stuff. It was a goddamn pain in the ass Laughing , and they didn't work in the end after all. It's impossible, due to the architecture of the G2.

And even if they would work, they would use such copious amounts of circuitry and DSP that they would not be practical anymore anyway. For what use is it to have poly unison if you don't have enough voices to pull it off? Wink

I conclude that there is absolutely no other way of patching this on the G2. So the velocity drawback remains, except if one can do without the spread functionality (eg. with voice randomising schemes).

cheers,
tim
Chrono

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well i've fixed the velocity drawback... it was pretty easy. It just costs another slot. just focus on slot A and C. and they will control slot B.

my architecture does consume a couple voices. now max 22 voices remain in my edited version. 4 playeble notes.

Well anyways, i've made 8 variations.
G2 Uni Flavors

ill also post it at the completed section when i've completed the audio demo.

i guess this one only works with expanded g2's

G2 Uni Flavors.prf2
 Description:
the performance

Download
 Filename:  G2 Uni Flavors.prf2
 Filesize:  7.79 KB
 Downloaded:  1492 Time(s)

Chrono

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think this scheme works just fine. The amount of modules for DIY would indeed cut all polyfony.

This patch will do great! Fantastic, many thanks!

tim wrote:
Cool. Smile

BTW, I couldn't resist after all Wink and tried different tricky solutions involving DIY voice allocation schemes and multiplexing stuff. It was a goddamn pain in the ass Laughing , and they didn't work in the end after all. It's impossible, due to the architecture of the G2.

And even if they would work, they would use such copious amounts of circuitry and DSP that they would not be practical anymore anyway. For what use is it to have poly unison if you don't have enough voices to pull it off? Wink

I conclude that there is absolutely no other way of patching this on the G2. So the velocity drawback remains, except if one can do without the spread functionality (eg. with voice randomising schemes).

cheers,
tim
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Building Blocks
Jump to: