electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Patches - Completed » Synth
Small Synthi-A (kind of)
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
TB2006

G2 patch files: 17

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 5:04 pm    Post subject: Small Synthi-A (kind of) Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This synth is to be tweaked in your G2, where the on-off knobs of the parameter pages (A1 upto C3) are a kind of matrix like in the Synthi.

For instance: switching the first button on the C3 position is connecting oscillator A to the output.

Hard to make a 16x16 matrix, but the essentials are there.

The rotators should be all to the right (clock-wise) in the beginning, and can be tuned back to diminisch the intensity of the connection (like the different colored sticks in the synthi.)

The last pages (D and E) are for the parameters in the oscilators, filters etc.

preset 8 is empty for you. If you do not know the synti, google for the software version, eventually you can download the VST plug-in demo and read the pdf manual.
http://www.emsrehberg.de/SYNTHI__s/SYNTHI_Avs_plugin/synthi_avs_plugin.html

Hope you enjoy!

SmallSynthi-A.pch2
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  SmallSynthi-A.pch2
 Filesize:  4.23 KB
 Downloaded:  1535 Time(s)

lifeonmars

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

An awesome patch!! Thank you! One of the best, for my taste!
Now, i hope you will release an MKII!
My hopes: 3 ADSR (pitch, filter,amplitude), rob hodjiek filter (the only difference between this patch and the old synth, is the warm), and a good chorus (the one in solina g3 patch?),delay, pitch shifter (do you think is possible to replicate a sort of smalltone phaser?).
I will try that, but you are a master with the cables, and me a little child.
Anyway, thank you again, for me you are a great programmer....and i wait MK II.....
Hallo from italy

p.s. sorry for my bad english
crueltwist

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow!,
I second that - this is really great - something I've always wanted but could never afford nor find a good software version of -
thanks!
cappy2112

Audio files: 2
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

crueltwist wrote:
Wow!,
I second that - this is really great - something I've always wanted but could never afford nor find a good software version of -
thanks!

I assume you know about the Synthi (or is the the other one?) VST ?
Cool idea, but they decided to use sysex (too slow) to control the synths parameters instead of CC's.

I think this is the most expensive VST that I've seen.

crueltwist

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes I just discovered it two days ago (do you mean the EMS Rehberg one?)- just installed a pc on my mac to check it out but they put noise bursts in the demo so I know I'll switch it on and in about 2 minutes turn it off again - I hate it when they do that - at least they could give one a month to check it out (even without being able to save anything) but stuff with noise bursts every ten seconds is unusable even for testing -
and you're right, it's unbelievably expensive, especially these days - and pc only so definitely not going to buy it -
shame really - if I knew it sounded exactly like a synthi I'd be tempted, but I've yet to discover a classic synth emulation soft that gets the filters like the original -
I played with this synthi patch on my g2 for hours last night - so I'm happy - and it's such a simple patch really, I just never would have thought of it - might install that matrix in some more stuff, it's really fantastic

forgive my ignorance but what's the difference between sysex and CCs? - I really am a dunce when it comes to stuff like that (what does CC stand for again?)
cappy2112

Audio files: 2
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

crueltwist wrote:

forgive my ignorance but what's the difference between sysex and CCs? - I really am a dunce when it comes to stuff like that (what does CC stand for again?)

Sysex -> System Exclusive
CC - > Continous Controller

Sysex is a 6-or-more byte message sent over midi, which can be implmented by a synth or Vst to perform "some function". What that function does is up to the manufacturer of the synth. Most commonly, sysex is used to send a request to a synth to get the current patch (sound) configuration. This allows you to save (backup) those patches on your computer. Sysex messages can also tell the synth to send all of the patches as well. You can also send the patch/patches back to the synth (to restore them, or install new patches) to the synth. Sysex commands can be used to do just about anything the manufacturer wants to do.
Each of the patch parameters (volume, filter frequency, modulations, etc) canalso be controlled via sysex.

CC's - > are a 2-3 byte message sent over midi for changing the vlaue of some parameter on a synth. Because midi is so slow, controlling a patch parameter is faster using CC's than with sysex, and is generally more desireable.

There have been a few synths, the Sequential Six-Track being one, which allowed all patch parameters to be changed via CC's. There have been a few others but I can't remember them at the moment.

Oberheim's Matrix 6 and Matrix 1000 use sysex to change their patch parameters, and the sysex implementation wasn't very robust. So, if you were tweaking the filter with a remote midi controller, you would have to turn it very slow, or these two synths would lock up or otherwise react strange. This is not very desireable.

Imagine playinga live gig and wanting to quickly change some aspect of your sound. Which would you prefer?

Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Patches - Completed » Synth
Jump to: