electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » ChucK programming language
Hey Mr. Tambourine Man
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Inventor
Stream Operator

Audio files: 267

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 9:01 pm    Post subject: Hey Mr. Tambourine Man
Subject description: Play a song for me
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

For The ChucK Show, which by the way was a total blast of fun tonight, I want to get Sunshine a Tambourine. The only problem is they cost about $20 or $30 that I can't really spare right now (I'm tight). What I do have, however is this cool little U-HID-G accelerometer board that I helped design with that British company www.ultimarc.com, and of course I also have the mighty power of ChucK as well!

So what I thought I would do this week for next week's show is write some code that makes a Tambourine sound when Sunshine shakes the accelerometer around. In addition, I could make ChucK do woo-woo sounds or other kewl sounds, all at Sunshine's command. She just loved the idea, so in addition to scrounging up other people's code and mp3's, I think I'll have a try at writing a little accelerometer based Tambourine code.

OK, so I can write the application, interface it to the accelerometer, calibrate it, and all that jazz. But what I can't think of is a way to make the jingle-jangle sounds of a Tambourine. So I'm asking the ChucK community how to do this. Any ideas? Any code? Your thoughts and suggestions are welcome as always.

Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Code:

//how to charm the ladies with the STK by Kassen
//just add "stuff"
Shakers s => dac;

6 => int tambourine; //PRC thinks of everything!

tambourine => s.preset;

do { stuff(); } while(1);

;¬)

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What, shakers has a tambourine? I love ChucK! Thanks, Kas!
kijjaz

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok.. so now wanna go crazy again. I also have another idea on developing a tambourine sound. I'm visualizing a tambourine with a drum head also.

So what i'd like to model are..
(1) the small cymbals.. i imagined the clear cymbal sound of the cymbals might be made from ModalBar ... but ... it'd be hard to add another kind of sound:
(2) the way each cymbal can hit another, just like when we shake the tambourine, sometimes slightly and
(3) the way the cymbals can hit the body of the tambourine (be it wooden or metal or plastic)
(4) and the sound of hitting the drum of a tambourine, .. the more loose it is tuned, the pitch can goes up when it's hit with more force. (added tension on the drum head) ..

Sound crazy again -_-.

But gonna do it, not as complex as physical modeling, maybe just easy simulation + stochastic models for the cymbals.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well OK kij, here's the deal, two things:

1. You have four potentiometers and one switch on the controller to adjust the tambourine behavior. I will write the code for interfacing to those (well, i already did).

2. We have until next Friday to do it. That's when the next ChucK Show is, obviously.

I'm looking forward to hearing what you come up with kij!

Les

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Good, the time pressure's off, tonight I wrote the Shakers tambourine into the controller program. The number of bells and the volume are adjustable by two controller potentiometers.

I can still add the drum head though if you happen to come up with a class for that, kij...

But at least the time pressure's off for that part of the show... Sunshine has her tambourine! woohoo! Smile

kijjaz

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Real acoustic tambourine! Nice. I still haven't worked on the drum head, but have this model in my head. Gonna try implementing it maybe with some simple band-pass filters and some impulses for triggering the hits.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

here is an audio demo of the accelerometer tambourine in action! (needs a drum head i think)...

tambourineDemo.mp3
 Description:
The audio demo

Download
 Filename:  tambourineDemo.mp3
 Filesize:  420 KB
 Downloaded:  1311 Time(s)

Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » ChucK programming language