electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Les Hall's Projects including eChucK
Getting Involved
Page 3 of 3 [58 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3
BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok I have the data sheet, programmers guide and chapter 28 -ADC on my electronic book reader.

Time for some reading!
Inventor
Stream Operator

Audio files: 267

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Any progress over the past couple of weeks, Andy? If not, I'll krank up my setup today or tomorrow and get some results...
BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Les,

No sorry. As usual life is getting in the way!

I started to look at the docs and then though "this thing looks complicated" and thats about it.

Sorry

Andy
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No problem Andy, you carried the ball for a while, now the quarterback is giving it to me. See you in the end zone for a touchdown celebration! Wait, it's not even football season, oh well...
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dang no touchdown yet. I've been so busy with The ChucK Show and finding a new apartment this week that I haven't gotten to it. But I will, just be patient...

Les

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am so sorry folks, I have been highly preoccupied with the ChucK show, my exercise program, and the pool/beach at mom's place. Not to mention a lovely night out with Carroll on Hollywood beach last wednesday. But I'll get back on track soon.

Remember, the project started last October and has had fits and starts all along. Just be patient and hang in there, eventually EChucK will gain critical mass and then... look out!

I plan to work on it this week once the ChucK show is ready and the guitar mods are in place...

Macaba

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This eChuck idea mirrors one of my own that I've had for quite a while, so I would be glad to get involved in this project.

I have experience programming dsPICs in C (not microchip C but all C is the same really) and I have a programmer too! My experience is also using dsPICs in an audio scenario (I designed and prototyped a 3 band EQ stereo amplifier using PWM for the audio out).

I have some ideas for the evolution of this, but I wouldn't want to force them on you.

1. The processor could evolve to a dsPIC33FJ64GP802:

This dsp has a stereo 16 bit DAC module (accurate to 14 bits I think) with many useful options.
To take advantage of the extra range of the DAC (14 effective bits) we could use ADC oversampling highlighted in this app note:
http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/AppNotes/Achieving%20Higher%20ADC%20Resolution%20Using%20Oversampling%2001152A.pdf

This means we can get 14 bits ADC values to the 14 effective bits DAC.

All this for 200% extra cost. Sure, you could buy a seperate codec chip but this way you get:
-Integrated peripherals to the core, so less pcb space and traces
-Less CPU overhead as no I2S connections need to be implemented
-Better quality audio than using PWM with a low pass filter (unless you have 16 bit pwm at 3mhz... thats asking for the impossible from a dsPIC)

2. In terms of connectors, I think it would be a marvellous idea to use something akin to these:
http://www.shawmagnets.com/forums.html?main_page=product_info&cPath=471&products_id=10371
Using stiff single core wire and the above connectors, it would be really easy to make the 'sound sculptures' you desire. The pcb could have a blank area where a steel plate is soldered on, and the steel plate could be sized to take upto 3 connectors in parallel for example.

3. The back of the pcb could have an SD card slot. We could buy <16mb SD cards for next to nothing. The firmware or 'patch' for a particular effect could be loaded on the sdcard and when power is applied to the eChuck it would load up the 'patch'

I would be happy to do some development of the current design because any code would be portable to the 'better' dspic in the future.

EDIT: Edited dsPIC33FJ12GP201 to dsPIC33FJ64GP802
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Macaba,

I want to answer all your questions but I think we had a nice chat in the chatrroom that did. I'll be sending you a board soon.

Welcome to the eChucK project!

Les

Page 3 of 3 [58 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Les Hall's Projects including eChucK
Jump to: