electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » MusicFromOuterSpace.com designs by Ray Wilson
Controller suggestions/options for Soundlab
Page 1 of 1 [21 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
senkun

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:12 am    Post subject:  Controller suggestions/options for Soundlab Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello,

Apologies if this has been asked before, I'm really new to this and I've been reading various threads for the past few days, which has left me more confused than ever. I have very little electronics knowledge but can solder anything together from a kit with good docs. Crying or Very sad

So, I'm starting on a build of Ray's Soundlab and would like to play it with a controller of any sorts, as long as it's cheap and easy to build or buy.

I know of the MFOS Mini-Controller (the stylophone looking thingy) but would rather implement either some push button switches on the Soundlab case or go with a modified toy keyboard or something else that involves the fingers.

What are my options here?

I also came across a thread about Softpot ribbon controllers, now that would be ideal! But the discussion left me dizzy and it looks extremely complicated.

Is there a cheap and simple way to interface the Softpot to the Soundlab? Has anyone done this?

Please don't bite, thanks! Very Happy
RF

Audio files: 28

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

http://www.cgs.synth.net/modules/cgs10_pedal.html

I built one of those up using a 16 button telephone style keypad...It works quite well.

Re: softpot
Have you seen this controller circuit?
http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-32246.html

It's still in the early stages but is a bit less complicated. I have not built it (although my opa134's for it came yesterday) and there is no PCB for it. Keep an eye on it, though.

Good luck

bruce

"I want to make these sounds that go wooo-wooo-ah-woo-woo.”
(Herb Deutsch to Bob Moog ~1963)
senkun

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi RF,

Thanks for the quick suggestions.

Mmm, that pedal module looks interesting. Keypad on the SL front panel would be nice.

Would a 12 button keypad work?

I also noticed the pedal module needs +/-15V, would it work with the +/-9V from the SL? Or would I need 2 power sources then?

Re: softpot

Although I would much prefer a Softpot controller, I would have to wait until/unless a PCB for it comes out. I can't build from a schematic to save my life! Embarassed

Unless there are any existing kits or a ready made ribbon controller available anywhere that I can just plug in to the SL's CV in?

Anyone know?
jochem

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm still building my soundlab, but also bought a octave controller and 16step sequencer for it. Pcb's came from ray's site.
I want to build the octave controller into the synth body.
skylab76

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If you're open to use a MIDI controller, maybe you should look into this bitty MIDI2CV interface.

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

Im contemplating on building this directly into my soundlab or putting it in a small enclosure with jack outputs.

I havent received it yet, but I'll keep you guys posted if you're interested.
senkun

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey Jaybugg,

Thanks for the link, I'm keeping all my options open. I'm putting my case design on hold until I get my SL built and try out different controllers.

So, yeah please post when you get your set up done! I'd like to know how it works out Very Happy
senkun

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jochem wrote:
I'm still building my soundlab, but also bought a octave controller and 16step sequencer for it. Pcb's came from ray's site.
I want to build the octave controller into the synth body.

Is that the single buss 1V/Oct controller? Do you have a keyboard for that or do you have something else in mind? Or just sequencer controlled? Question
jochem

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Single buss 1V/Oct controller indeed. I plan on using the sequencer, not much of a keyboard guy myself.
skylab76

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

senkun wrote:
Hey Jaybugg,

Thanks for the link, I'm keeping all my options open. I'm putting my case design on hold until I get my SL built and try out different controllers.

So, yeah please post when you get your set up done! I'd like to know how it works out Very Happy

UPDATE: I got it and installed it (easiest DIY project ever):

The program button lets you assign any MIDI event and/or channel to each of two CV/Gate output pairs. It works great with my old yamaha XP-30 and my soundlab.
LetterBeacon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Excellent, thanks for reporting back!
Limp

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi, Looks great.
Im quite new to the DIY-synth scene and I'm just wondering how to power that little MIDI2CV-interface.Thinkning about buying it for my soundlab. I have the soundlab powered by two 9v-batteries (+9, -9v) Is it possible to use this to power the MIDI2CV or do I need to use a separate PSU for that?

/L
skylab76

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Limp wrote:
Hi, Looks great.
Im quite new to the DIY-synth scene and I'm just wondering how to power that little MIDI2CV-interface.Thinkning about buying it for my soundlab. I have the soundlab powered by two 9v-batteries (+9, -9v) Is it possible to use this to power the MIDI2CV or do I need to use a separate PSU for that?

/L

Yeah, you can use the +9V and ground from your batteries that power the soundlab (except of course, your batteries will have a slightly shorter lifespan).

Or use a separate 9V battery just for the MIDI2CV.
A30N

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

skylab76 wrote:
senkun wrote:
Hey Jaybugg,

The program button lets you assign any MIDI event and/or channel to each of two CV/Gate output pairs. It works great with my old yamaha XP-30 and my soundlab.

Hi Skylab,

I think i would like to go with this as it seems the easy option,.

I been trying to contact the guy who makes them over the last few days with no response. How did you get in contact with him and does it usually take a while for him to get back to you? Also once you paid your money how long did it take to arrive?

Thanks
Jamie
Limp

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A30N:
This is why I have a MCV-628 lying around Razz .... I also think this is the way to go with the "midimplant". This small little midi/cv-interface seems perfect for the soundlab. I've also had problems getting in touch with the guy who makes them. I orderd it on april 27th and sent him a e-mail a week later wondering how long it would take for it to arrive.. No answer yet....
A30N

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Limp wrote:
A30N:
This is why I have a MCV-628 lying around Razz .... I also think this is the way to go with the "midimplant". This small little midi/cv-interface seems perfect for the soundlab. I've also had problems getting in touch with the guy who makes them. I orderd it on april 27th and sent him a e-mail a week later wondering how long it would take for it to arrive.. No answer yet....

I think its the best way for me as i have no serial port on pc to program pics, i dont have to build a separate power supply and its small and fits nice into the the soundlab... all win

It trying to get hold of him is the only problem, i dont really want to part with cash untill he contacts me

Cheers,
Jamie
skylab76

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A30N, Limp,

He has two email addresses. Try info@midi-hardware.com. He responded almost immediately with that one. I didn't get a response from query@... .

And it took a long time for it to arrive (about a month).
A30N

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

skylab76 wrote:
A30N, Limp,

He has two email addresses. Try info@midi-hardware.com. He responded almost immediately with that one. I didn't get a response from query@... .

And it took a long time for it to arrive (about a month).

I managed to get hold of him now thanks and i will be ordering on friday Wink
Wizard Mike

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Or you can go "hardcore Doc Brown style" and control your soundlab with you mind!

http://www.neurosonics.com/tech/bgm-kurzweil.html

http://openeeg.sourceforge.net/doc/modeeg/modeeg.html

...seriously...
A30N

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wizard Mike wrote:
Or you can go "hardcore Doc Brown style" and control your soundlab with you mind!

http://www.neurosonics.com/tech/bgm-kurzweil.html

http://openeeg.sourceforge.net/doc/modeeg/modeeg.html

...seriously...

lol,

I have trouble controlling my own body with my mind sometimes, cant see me being able to make the synth work
TheMilford

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

senkun wrote:

Through TONS of snooping around the net I was able to finally find this guy's site. For a spell I was worried that using the Sound Lab with a proper keyboard would either be a headache or very expensive. I looked into everything from building a CV keyboard using a Fatar keybed with one of Ray's CV board to building the Paia Midi2CV... both of which just seemed to pricey and a bit of overkill for the Sound Lab and my budget.

This seems to be a great solution. Can anybody else confirm if this is a nice match with the SL?

I'll be ordering board from Ray this week and probably this MIDI2CV as well. As long as it's a pretty good match.

Also, can this M1D12CV do portamento?

I'm curious why this isn't a more common solution...

Cheers,
David
urbanspaceman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi, i want to build a soundlab mark2 and i need the midimplant interface
someone has a schematics used to connect the sl and the midimplant?

i want the keys, the pitch wheel, the mod wheel and if possible, the velocity on the filter
tnx
Page 1 of 1 [21 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » MusicFromOuterSpace.com designs by Ray Wilson
Jump to: