electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Simple lunetta question
Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
jenamu6

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 11:51 pm    Post subject: Simple lunetta question Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi, I'm new on the board.......and very new on Lunettas

I've been reading almost every post on this site, and came up with an idea to make a rhythm machine.

Basically this is what I wanna build.

3 different square clock generators, all with different pots.
Then a couple of nand, and, or ports and dividers.

So I'll be getting different trigger rhythms at one tempo, to control my Serge and Digisound modular.

Questions:
-I simulated the idea, and it worked. Do you guys think it will also work in the real world........so would I be able to trigger my modular?
-I've read that all unused cmos ports should be conected to ground. But in this design I would like everything to be modular. So open banana connections to the AND, OR etc.
That would mean when not patched, they would be unused..........but not grounded. Would that work?

Thanks,

Jean
Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just put a 100K resistor between the inputs and ground. It will still work when connected, but will be held down when not.
jenamu6

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OK, thanks.
So if I understand it right....for instance an and port will have 2 connections to ground via a 100K resistor?

I'm about to order my lunetta stuf.

I really think it would make an excellent trigger machine for my modular, and when the speed of the clocks will go up, it'll still be a nice Lunetta noise machine.

Anybody tried the semi-random trigger machine idea?
Rykhaard

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jenamu6 wrote:
OK, thanks.
So if I understand it right....for instance an and port will have 2 connections to ground via a 100K resistor?

I'm about to order my lunetta stuf.

I really think it would make an excellent trigger machine for my modular, and when the speed of the clocks will go up, it'll still be a nice Lunetta noise machine.

Anybody tried the semi-random trigger machine idea?

As a standard for all of my CMOS inputs in my noise machine I have a 100k resistor to Ground, along with a diode from the jack to the pin / resistor connection. This way, my chips are protected from any -V that could possibly come their way. Smile

With the 100k resistors to Ground for every logical input, you should be ok. Smile (There are some control inputs that require their function to go LOW. When they're to be held HIGH normally, a 100k resistor to +V will do.)
jenamu6

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OK, just ordered a whole bunch of:
CMos chips, Leds, 100K resistors, diodes, breadboard, banana sockets and some more.

With these I could build at least 2 lunetta noisemachines and 1 supertrigger machine.

I'll keep you guys posted.
RF

Audio files: 28

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Allright jenamu6! We'll look forward to seeing what you come up with - it's nice to have another one building these!

bruce

"I want to make these sounds that go wooo-wooo-ah-woo-woo.”
(Herb Deutsch to Bob Moog ~1963)
Rykhaard

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

RF wrote:
Allright jenamu6! We'll look forward to seeing what you come up with - it's nice to have another one building these!

bruce

Agreed! Not so much as "the more the merrier" but "the more the noisier"! Very Happy Laughing
RKHobbs

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If you build a Nandsynth with big (10uF+ capacitors) it will give you trigger clicks that can be dialed in to produce all kinds of odd polyrhythm.
Rykhaard

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

RKHobbs wrote:
If you build a Nandsynth with big (10uF+ capacitors) it will give you trigger clicks that can be dialed in to produce all kinds of odd polyrhythm.

Now that's a very cool idea! I may have to try that as well with my NAND Synth / 40106 Saw VCO cross. With larger caps, I could come to unpredictable rhythms, which could be quite useful. Smile
jenamu6

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Does it have to be a NAND gate synth?
I did order NAND gates, but I planned 40106 oscillators......will they have a strong enough signal to trigger for examples my slope generators on the Serge?

I can't wait for the breadbord and parts to arrive.............but first we'll go on a camping trip with the kids this weekend (first time)
RKHobbs

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You can use the 40106es for pseudo-random like Ken Stone does in the Psycho (and SuperPsycho) LFO.
If you cascade one output into the next gate, the nand gates switch each other on and off.
I don't know what the Serge needs, but the 40106 and 4093 put out a pretty hefty click.
Rykhaard

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

RKHobbs wrote:
You can use the 40106es for pseudo-random like Ken Stone does in the Psycho (and SuperPsycho) LFO.
If you cascade one output into the next gate, the nand gates switch each other on and off.
I don't know what the Serge needs, but the 40106 and 4093 put out a pretty hefty click.

The outputs from the CMOS inverters will be the level that you power them with. You could check to see what voltage level the Serge panel requires and make sure that you're powering your CMOS from the same voltage level. (Minimum). You should be ok there as long as you don't feed the Serge too high or an incorrect voltage. (In case the related one does not accept negative voltages.)
jenamu6

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks guys.

This week I'll get the parts, I'll keep you posted.
jenamu6

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Parts came in today.

Made my first oscillator from a 40106, connected a LED........and the LED flashed.

So I took the breadboard to my modular.............and YES the pulses from the 40106 trigger my modular.

So off the breadboard an onto perf board..........can't wait to try the XOR and AND ports.
RF

Audio files: 28

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yay! Success Wink

Now get back to building....

bruce

"I want to make these sounds that go wooo-wooo-ah-woo-woo.”
(Herb Deutsch to Bob Moog ~1963)
Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Jump to: