electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Musical Interfaces
Tips for touch plates using Copper Clad boards
Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
synthmonger

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:55 am    Post subject: Tips for touch plates using Copper Clad boards
Subject description: to seal or not to seal? Or use an alternative to copper clad boards?
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm starting my huge modular project and I want to use a touch plate similar to Buchla's as the main controller. I only have copper clad boards that I plan on etching a design out of which will also serve as the front as the front plate. It will consist of a few boards spanning probably 4U and 19' width.

The last thing I would want is for the copper to oxidize, then I thought sealing it would protect it but I'm not sure how it will effect sensing touch. Does anyone have experience with this sort of thing? Any tips will be greatly appreciated! Razz Razz Razz Razz
wetterberg

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

did you read this yet?
http://www.cyndustries.com/synapse/synapse.cfm?pc=39&folder=jan1977&pic=26
- I guess none other than the master of the TKB would be the guy to take notes from, he suggests a "thin coat" of polyurethane or acrylic.
synthmonger

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I did but I somehow overlooked that text. I blame coffee! Razz

Thanks!

wetterberg

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

no worries, hope to see that mega-modular come together quickly Smile
scriptstyle

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i'm working on some copper clad touch plates off the serge schematics. i'm wondering how to implement some type of velocity/surface area logic sensing circuit.
frijitz

Audio files: 54

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Tips for touch plates using Copper Clad boards
Subject description: to seal or not to seal? Or use an alternative to copper clad boards?
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

synthmonger wrote:
...The last thing I would want is for the copper to oxidize, then I thought sealing it would protect it but I'm not sure how it will effect sensing touch. Does anyone have experience with this sort of thing? Any tips will be greatly appreciated!

I have capacitive switches on one of my wind controllers. Acrylic or epoxy coatings wear through quite quickly. You start to see oxidation around the edges, then it spreads. I'm not sure if the coating has worn off or if there are just bad spots such as pinholes.

Actually I'm in the process of redoing them right now. I'm trying the starter kit from these folks:
http://www.everbritecoatings.com
They make it sound good anyway.

Very Happy

Ian
synthmonger

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Ian! I'll have to try that out as well. Probably won't be for a while though with all my other projects. Please let me know how it works for you.
scriptstyle

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

would a pcb silicone aerosol such as http://www.mgchemicals.com/products/422a.html work? probally not because it insulates?
scriptstyle

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

while shopping for capacitors for the tkb i noticed that the serge schematic has some less common values? for the 22pf 5% im thinking i need something fancy like this? http://mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtLiKaZgV7flaUuJGyUMyGomM%2f1uVuG2R8%3d
also the 430pf is a very odd value. can that be replaced with a 470pf, and if so i was thinking mylar or poly? only the ceramics are labled. being as old as it is my guess everything is mylar?
scriptstyle

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

looking more at the paia PDS design. im wondering how it stacks up to the serge TKB? the PDS has a much lower part count and one can implament pressure sensitivty with alittle more effort and minamal parts. on the other hand the lm3900 is a high gain op amp is there something importatnt of using a component like this over cmos? and last but not least if in fact the lm3900 is better for the job could touch pressure be implamented into the TKB with simple cmos?
CJ Miller

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The regular Serge (non-Synapse) TKB is a CMOS circuit. It uses a standard CMOS clock and a TTL 16-1 mux, combined with a 4516 sequencer. I am looking into redoing it with a CMOS mux and some other features, but it's got to wait for now.
ericcoleridge

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just thought I'd post this in case anyone hasn't seen it. It's a capacitance polyphonic touch controller, called the Manta, for MIDI/USB. Apparently inspired by Buchla Touchplates, I believe he uses a laser cutter to etch PCBs for the actual touch surface:

http://snyderphonics.com/products.htm

manta-in-action.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  14.91 KB
 Viewed:  14440 Time(s)

manta-in-action.jpg

Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Musical Interfaces
Jump to: