electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Strings and things
Neat little guitar tuner
Page 1 of 1 [18 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Inventor
Stream Operator

Audio files: 267

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:21 pm    Post subject: Neat little guitar tuner
Subject description: Should I get this one?
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I want to buy a guitar tuner for my monthly treat to myself and I ran across this little item:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Korg-pitchjack-Guitar-Tuner-542089-i1409875.gc

Is this a good one to get? I like how it plugs directly into the guitar for accuracy. What do you think?

575432jpg.jpg
 Description:
Korg pitchjack tuner
 Filesize:  4.35 KB
 Viewed:  16325 Time(s)

575432jpg.jpg

Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Looks good to me.
Have you seen those little tuner-in-a-pick things?
They've got a little LED strobe inside a (slightly larger than normal) pick. Just two buttons to go up and down chromatically, and you pick the string and then adjust so it looks like it's standing still. Very nifty, might get "lost" easily though. Very Happy
I'd go with that one, it looks compact and easy to use.

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OK thanks, Andy. I always listen to my Uncle. Smile
Oskar

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Korg tuners are usually a safe bet. Go fo it!
jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have a small Korg Strobe tuner, that does very well with a bass guitar. I think the high freq. of the guitar make them less finicky, though.

However, I'm very happy with my korg tuner, too.
GovernorSilver

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If you have an iPhone, check out Peterson Tuners' app:

http://www.petersontuners.com/index.cfm?category=150

Some old stuff on VIRB
ark

Audio files: 13
G2 patch files: 31

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have used these two tuners and like them both. They are both well suited to guitars and are both easy to use and accurate.
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So now that ark has showed us the clip-on tuners, it occurs to me that there are three types of tuners: the clip-on vibration type, the plug-in type, and the audio type.

I downloaded some tuning software that used either the computer's mic or the line-in jack to tune, and found that the line-in jack was more stable. This would indicate to me that the plug-in type might be a tad preferable. I don't know about the clip-on type. I'm sure theyre all good though.

ark

Audio files: 13
G2 patch files: 31

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I like the clip-on ones because they work on solid-body electric guitars and also on acoustic guitars with or without pickups. Moreover, they're pretty much impervious to acoustic noise.

The main disadvantage is that they do not work at all with wind instruments -- the instrument's body has to vibrate substantially.
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey this gives me a good product idea: a clip-on light organ. One could create a clip-on tuner that displayed on an array of LED's designed for show, not for tuning. Oh, too many things to do!
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just ordered the Tune Tech TT-501 Clip-On Chromatic Tuner, the new model of the first link that ark provided (the diamond shaped one). It was $28.95, and with shipping the total was $36.83 so a bit pricey but worth it. I like the fact that it will tune an acoustic yet is not affected by ambient noise.
GovernorSilver

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Peterson claims their clip-on pickup will work with any wind instrument:
http://www.petersontuners.com/index.cfm?category=12

Peterson tuners however have been traditionally the most expensive brand of tuner in the music world, but they're also more accurate than other brands except possibly TurboTuner, with a ridiculous precision. iStroboSoft boasts 1/10th cent accuracy. On the other hand, TurboTuner does not offer a $10 iPhone app like Peterson. You pretty much need a Peterson tuner/Turbo Tuner if you are into Feiten tuning.

Some old stuff on VIRB
DrJustice

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Since we're talking tuners in general here, I'll mention that the TurboTuners accuracy, tracking speed, and "feel" is quite different from the Peterson tuners. As in way better.... Also an LCD stroboscope is no match for the fluidity of the the TurboTuner analogue LED stroboscope display.

I was surprised to find that my guitars really sound incredible when they are tuned with the TurboTuner, as opposed to every other tuner I've tried. Definitely the best guitar accessory I ever got! Very Happy

DJ
--
GovernorSilver

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I was considering a TurboTuner before iStroboSoft was released - this coincides with my plan to get an iPhone 3GS (I will actually save money by switching to it from my current phone, as its data plan is actually cheaper) - it's just a matter of waiting for my state tax refund to arrive.

Some old stuff on VIRB
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I finally went out and got the CR2032 coin cell for the tuner that I bought, pictured below. It was fun to tune the guitar so easily. I've been using software tuners and they were not doing the job. My guitar was tuned to AADGBE and most of the strings were off center!

I discovered that another interesting use of the tuner is to leave it on and pluck notes out of chords. The tuner tells you what note is being played, obviously, which is useful for learning.

TT501_tuner_sm_.jpg
 Description:
The tuner I bought
 Filesize:  22.65 KB
 Viewed:  16160 Time(s)

TT501_tuner_sm_.jpg

BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice one Les, tuning the guitar can be a real pain when you start out playing it.
Oskar

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BobTheDog wrote:
Nice one Les, tuning the guitar can be a real pain when you start out playing it.

After 34 years, it can still be! Shocked

BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yep its weird, to me the B string always sounds out, why I don't know!
Page 1 of 1 [18 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Strings and things
Jump to: