electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » electro-music.com » electro-music festivals
Any interest in a regional electro-music festival in 2009?
Page 2 of 4 [81 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next

The best month for a regional EM festival is:
March
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
April
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
May
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
June
8%
 8%  [ 1 ]
July
16%
 16%  [ 2 ]
August
8%
 8%  [ 1 ]
September
25%
 25%  [ 3 ]
October
41%
 41%  [ 5 ]
November
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
December
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
January (2010)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
February (2010)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 12

shanemorris
Stream Operator

Audio files: 92

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kevin,
What about doing a smaller version of this... maybe just a Saturday afternoon/evening of 5 or so performers, jam, and demos?

kkissinger

Audio files: 42

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 2:28 pm    Post subject: Status report Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok, folks...

At the moment, I have not cancelled my reservation for the clubhouse.

So, here's the deal:

We can go ahead with a festival and we will scale it to the number of people who want to make the trek to Kansas City.

The festival will be FREE -- which means you are on your own for meals (though we may decide to bring food in if we want to).

Thus, we can do something that is a bit informal. Any comments?

shanemorris
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That sounds Greeeaaattttt! Kevin! Very Happy

Definitely count me in.

..... maybe we will have time for collaborations as well.

Kurt Michaels

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I certainly would be up for whatever you decide to do, whether it be formal or informal. If you lock it in, I will arrange my work schedule to be in KC in that timeframe.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
shanemorris
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

even if the event is small ... only attended by the musicians ( which is often the case anyway) ... we still have an audience online streaming the music at electro-music.com.

I know people online would be interested in what we are doing there. Especially Kevin if you or Scott Stites were to give a demo or something... coupled with the music we will all create.

Plus, we could have a collaboration at the end between us all or something. I think that would be great.

I believe you said there was a dsl connection there right? That would do it. I also have a portable wireless usb if nothing else.

Last edited by shanemorris on Tue May 19, 2009 2:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
EmeraldAdrift

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kevin:

I'm very interested in performing, and possibly doing a lecture. I'm based in Lawrence, so it's a very easy drive for me. Should I e-mail you for further discussion?

Thanks,
- Dave

kkissinger

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

EmeraldAdrift wrote:
Kevin:

I'm very interested in performing, and possibly doing a lecture. I'm based in Lawrence, so it's a very easy drive for me. Should I e-mail you for further discussion?

Thanks,
- Dave

Dave,

We are going to move forward with this... it will likely be a Friday evening and all-day Saturday event.

Yes, please email me at kkissinger [at] kevinkissinger.com

adamon

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello all; I'll definitely be interested in coming out. I'm a lawrence transplant in the kc area, so it'll be nice to see some other electro-music people!
shanemorris
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

adamon wrote:
Hello all; I'll definitely be interested in coming out. I'm a lawrence transplant in the kc area, so it'll be nice to see some other electro-music people!

Welcome to electro-music adamon! Look forward to meeting you at the regional event.

shane

KCDJUNIQUE

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:55 pm    Post subject:  Re: Any interest in a regional electro-music festival in 2009?
Subject description: (in Kansas City, Missouri)
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

kkissinger wrote:
I've been toying with the idea to organize a regional EM festival here in Kansas City. The festival would be open to anyone from anywhere, however would be presented as a regional festival so as not to interfere with the "main" (international) EM festival.

It happens that I have access to our neighborhood clubhouse, which is large enough to hold a scaled-down version of the EM festival:

The downstairs has two rooms that can be used for demo/exhibition space and a possible jam room (I'm not sure of the sound isolation, though -- I'll have to check this).

The upstairs would make a comfortable performance space at one end of the building. At the other end is a bar area with a commercial ice-maker, fridge, sink... etc -- we could bring in some food and beverages.

My overhead would be low -- I already have a good sound-system (we used it in the theatre at the 2008 EM festival), the rental on the clubhouse is cheap enough that I could pay for it, there is high-speed internet connectivity so we could stream the performances via radio.electro-music.com.

The clubhouse is in an excellent location that overlooks the Missouri river with plenty of parking. It is only five minutes from Parkville restaurants and shopping and only ten minutes from accomodations ranging from budget, luxury, and bed-and-breakfasts.

Tommorrow I will be talking with the person who schedules the clubhouse and will see what dates are available -- it books up pretty quick so I need to get moving on this.

You can help me by filling in the poll above and leaving comments.

The main electro-music festival occurs in the summer -- I don't have a date for it yet -- so I'll just have to "throw a dart" at the calendar, get started, and see what we can do.

I think a September or October date might be good. The weather is great in Kansas City during those months.

Note that the clubhouse is an adjoining pool area. During June, July, and August the pool is in use from 12noon until 8pm. It wouldn't likely interfere with any EM activity and could generate some walk-in traffic. We would have the option to schedule an evening pool party if people wanted to.

As far as fees, I think the only fee would be for food.
yeah that sounds like a good idea,i would love to go. Cool
THIS DJ UNIQUE, I HAVE BEEN IN ELECTRO MUSIC SINCE AROUND 1979,STARTED OUT LISTENING TO HIP-HOP THEN ELECTRO-HIP HOP-THEN TECHNO THEN HOUSE ALL OF IT,I ENJOY ALL STYLES AND MIX EVERYTHING FROM DRUM MACHINES TO TURTABLES, I LOVE SYNTH MUSIC.
shanemorris
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Welcome to electro-music.com KCDJUNIQUE ! welcome

Look forward to meeting you at the event!

kkissinger

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:36 am    Post subject: Status Report Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello. We will be meeting in Missouri next month. Here is the list of people who have submitted applications and will perform at the festival:

Kurt Michaels, Chicago, IL

Shane Morris, Fayetteville, Ar.

. Ambient and space music
. Acoustic, electro-acoustic, electronic drum jam

EmeraldAdrift (David Herpich), Lawrence, Ks.

. ambient through propulsive sequenced compositions and improvisations.

Adamon (Damon Mar), Overland Park, Ks.

.ambient synthesizers

dRachEmUsik (Charles Shriner), Indianapolis, IN

. Improvised and structured electronic music with abstract video

kkissinger (Kevin Kissinger), Kansas City, MO

. Original compositions for theremin and electronics

I must go to press with the information this Friday -- if you want to perform on the festival, do not delay in sending me an application now.

Thank you to everyone who has graciously volunteered to perform. If you sent me an application and you don't see your name listed... please contact me at once! Smile

Last edited by kkissinger on Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kurt Michaels

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I thought I was in on this? Whats up?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kkissinger

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:02 pm    Post subject: My bad... Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kurt,

Sorry 'bout that. I went through the applications that I had downloaded to my harddrive.

When you sent me your email, your attachment (the application) wasn't there. I replied to you but maybe it didn't go through.

Anyway, I am very pleased that you are coming and added your name to the list.

When you get a chance, go ahead and try to email your app. again.

Look forward to seeing you, the other performers, and others who are attending next month.

EmeraldAdrift

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm just curious as to how things stand at the moment, now that the event is coming up quite soon. Are we still looking at two days? One day?

Etc. Basically, I'm just curious and excited and ready to finalize my plans for next weekend.

Very Happy

kkissinger

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

At this point, let's plan on Friday starting at 5pm for an evening of jam sessions.

Saturday we will plan to run from 1pm to Midnight.

Hope you don't mind the informal approach to this. I will publish a schedule tomorrow so please check back here.

While this festival is pretty small (more of a get-together than a festival, I suppose) I think we can form the nucleus for future festivals in the midwest.

I'm sure we'll have a great time and look forward to seeing everyone starting next Friday.

Last edited by kkissinger on Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:29 am; edited 1 time in total
kkissinger

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:57 pm    Post subject: Schedule for Regional Electro-Music 2009 Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here is the schedule for the Regional electro-music festival (July 24th and 25th).

You will see that we have a fantastic lineup of electro-musicians for 1 1/2 days of Jam Sessions, Lecture/Demos, a drum circle, a panel discussion, and a stellar lineup of solo sets on Saturday.

Friday, July 24th (Drum Circle, Collaborations* , Jam Sessions)

12pm - 5pm Set up PA, chairs, tables. etc. (Kevin K.)
5pm - 7pm Meet and greet
7pm - 8pm Drum Circle (Shane Morris)
8pm - 9pm Open (collaboration or jam)
9pm - 10pm Shane Morris collaboration
10pm - 11pm Open (collaboration or jam)
11pm - 12am Open (collaboration or jam)[/list]

(* there are still three open slots for collaboration or jam sessions.)

Saturday, July 25th (afternoon: lectures, demos, and discussion,
evening: solo sets)

12pm - 1pm Lecture/Demo: The Aries Synthesizer
1pm - 2pm Panel Discussion: How to get started in DIY electronics
2pm - 3pm Lecture demo: (open)
3pm - 5pm (break)
5pm - 6pm KC DJ Unique (Kansas City)
6pm - 7pm EmeraldAdrift (David Herpich), Lawrence, Ks.
7pm - 8pm Shane Morris (Fayetteville, Ar)
8pm - 9pm Adamon (Damon Mar), Overland Park, Ks.
9pm - 10pm Kevin Kissinger, Kansas City, MO
10pm - 12am (open)

Last edited by kkissinger on Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:27 am; edited 2 times in total
shanemorris
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kevin,
Will you be recording off of the board? Or, should we make arrangements to bring recording gear? Didnt know if that recording setup from EM08 was yours or not. Either way is fine. Very Happy

kkissinger

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The recording setup at EM2008 was, indeed, mine and we can use it this weekend.

I do have microphones so that we can record panel discussions, lecture/demos, the drum circle, and any other acoustic material.

I'm going to start setting up by mid day Friday -- any help will be appreciated Wink

kkissinger

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Note (above) a minor schedule change:

8pm - 9pm Adamon (Damon Mar), Overland Park, Ks.
9pm - 10pm dRachEmUsik (Charles Shriner), Indianapolis, IN

Since Charles' set includes video, I switched him to 9pm (the club house will be dark by then).

kkissinger

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here is a link to information for the Regional electro-music festival:

http://www.kevinkissinger.com/kcregionalem.shtml

EmeraldAdrift

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Looks good. I'll be seeing you all a little before 5:00 tonight, then. Smile

I've sent out invitations for the concerts to some friends and family, though I'm not sure yet if any of them will be able to come. A couple friends may also be interested in the discussions on Saturday afternoon if they can come.

At any rate, I've asked that anyone who thinks that might attend contact me ASAP so that I can get them on the guest list.

One last question: should I bring my gear on Friday night? I wasn't sure if we'd want to try a group jam or something like that in one of the empty slots.

kkissinger

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, please come prepared for some jam sessions. Most of the evening Friday is open for jams and collaborations. Please bring your friends... we'll have a guest list at the door and they can sign in at the door.

Since we had a couple of last-minute cancellations, there is more time in the schedule for discussions and jam sessions.

While this is a relatively small group, it is a good start for the regional festival idea and I hope we can form a "core group" to build upon for future festivals.

kkissinger

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Note: we've had a couple of cancellations. I updated the schedule above.
modulator_esp
Stream Operator

Audio files: 276
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hope it all goes well and you all have fun Smile
Page 2 of 4 [81 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » electro-music.com » electro-music festivals
Jump to: