electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » News... » Gear News
Traveler Portable FireWire Audio Interface from MOTU
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:12 pm    Post subject: Traveler Portable FireWire Audio Interface from MOTU Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

MOTU has introduced the Traveler ($895 MSRP), a bus-powered FireWire audio interface for Mac and Windows personal computers. Designed for portable recording situations with either desktop or laptop computers, the Traveler has no AC power receptacle and instead draws power from its FireWire connection to the computer, while the computer can be powered by its own battery or AC. For extended remote recording, the Traveler can be powered by an industry-standard battery pack via a 4-pin XLR power socket. As a complete audio recording system with 20 inputs and 22 outputs operating simultaneously, the Traveler inherits many features from MOTU's 828mkII FireWire interface and adds many additional significant new features, including four mic/guitar/instrument inputs, digitally controlled mic input gain, 192kHz analog recording capability and both S/PDIF and AES/EBU 96kHz digital I/O.

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

Traveler Overview
The Traveler is everything you need to turn your computer into a mobile 24-bit, 192kHz digital audio workstation. Powered by your computer's FireWire bus, the Traveler gives you a complete, battery-operated studio wherever your recording projects take you.

The Traveler provides eight channels of pristine 192kHz analog recording and playback, combined with all of the digital I/O you need: ADAT optical, AES/EBU and S/PDIF (both TOSLink and RCA). Expand your system by connecting additional Traveler, 828 or 896 FireWire audio interfaces.

Precision Trim™ and on-board mixing
The Traveler's four microphone/instrument pre-amps are equipped with individual 48V phantom power switches and digital Precision Trim™ controls, conveniently adjusted from the front panel or the included CueMix Console™ software. No mixer is required, thanks to CueMix DSP™, the Traveler's latency-free, 8-bus digital mixer. Connect all of your studio gear, including microphones, guitars, synths, keyboards, drum machines and even effects processors. Then monitor all of these live inputs via the Traveler's main outs, headphone jack and/or any other output — with no latency and no processor drain on your computer. You can even create separate monitor mixes for the main outs, headphones and other outputs. Control everything from the CueMix Console™ software or directly from the Traveler's front-panel.

Bus power and extended battery operation
Time to hit the road? The Traveler slides easily into your backpack or briefcase and fits neatly beneath your laptop. Record in the most remote locations with the complete freedom of battery power. You can even use the Traveler as a stand-alone mixer. Tweak your mix on the spot with the Traveler's backlit LCD and front-panel controls.

Ideal for studio and stage
Back in the studio, mount the Traveler in your rack with the included rack ears. Eight channels of ADAT optical I/O make the Traveler an ideal companion for a digital console. The ADAT lightpipe connection supports sample rates up to 96kHz.

Additional features
The Traveler includes a 16-channel MIDI interface. Simply plug in your FireWire cable, and both MIDI and audio are ready to go. Connect any MIDI device, such as a controller keyboard, synth module, automated control surface or drum machine. Timing is sample-accurate with supporting software.

The Traveler provides cross-platform compatibility with Mac OS X (10.2.3 or higher), Windows Me/2000/XP and all of your favorite audio software and host-based effects via WDM/ASIO/Core Audio drivers. Or you can use the included AudioDesk workstation software for Macintosh, with 24-bit recording/editing and 32-bit mixing/processing/mastering.

http://www.motu.com/products/motuaudio/traveler/

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

1. Volume and headphone output control
Dual function knob provides separate volume control over main outputs and headphones. Headphone output can supply a separate mix.

2. Mic and instrument input controls
Four microphone preamplifiers provide plenty of gain with individually switchable phantom power. Fine tune input gain in 1 dB increments with the Traveler's unique digital Precision Trim™. View input gain values in the LCD display as you make adjustments. Save input trim settings for instant total recall.

3. Optical I/O and ADAT sync
Eight channels of ADAT optical (lightpipe) input and output. Connect a digital mixer or an additional A/D/A converter. Also supports four channels of 96kHz digital audio. ADAT sync port provides sample-accurate sync for compatible devices. Transfer multiple passes of ADAT via lightpipe with single-sample accuracy every time.

4. Word clock
Word clock input and output for synchronization with a wide variety of digital devices—or a centralized word clock source.

5. Standard 1394 'FireWire' ports
Connect your FireWire-equipped computer here. No PCI or PC cards to install—just plug in and go. MOTU FireWire interfaces are expandable; the second FireWire port allows you to daisy-chain more devices without a FireWire hub.

6. AES/EBU I/O
24-bit, 96kHz AES/EBU digital I/O. Connect a DAT machine or effects processor.

7. CueMix DSP™ mixer controls
Create up to four stereo monitor mixes with 20 inputs each using these front-panel controls. Mix to any four output pairs you wish. Because the mixing takes place in the Traveler itself, your computer's processor is free for other tasks.

8. Multi-function backlit LCD display
The Traveler can be used as a stand-alone mixer. The front-panel display allows you to configure your mix and system settings, using an intuitive interface. Dedicated LEDs display audio levels, tach and lock status, and clock rate.

9. S/PDIF I/O
24-bit, 96kHz S/PDIF digital I/O. The S/PDIF and AES/EBU I/O are discrete inputs and outputs, and can be used simultaneously.

10. Eight balanced analog ins/outs
24-bit, 192kHz analog inputs and outputs on balanced/unbalanced connectors. Input level can be switched between +4/-10 for each input. Resolve the Traveler directly to SMPTE time code from an analog video tape deck or video source. No extra synchronizer needed.

11. Mic and instrument inputs
Four inputs accept either high impedance quarter-inch inputs or low impedance XLR microphone inputs.

12. Removable rack ears
The Traveler fits comfortably under a laptop computer, or you can attach the included ears for rack mount operation.

13. MIDI input and output
No need to carry an additional MIDI interface. Connect a MIDI controller, keyboard, sound module, control surface or any other MIDI device.

14. Additional power options
The Traveler can be powered via the FireWire cable connected to your computer, but additional power sources are supported, such as an external battery* for extended recording sessions and for stand-alone mixer operation without a computer. Also, a DC power adapter* can be connected.

* not included

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oooo... looks cool. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I like these MOTU products that are stand-alone as well Smile

I was put-off by the MIDI ports on the side, until I realized the unit is only 15" wide...the rack ears extend the width so there's still room inside the box.

drunken shaking shakng2
zynthetix

Audio files: 10
G2 patch files: 13

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The midi on the side is kind of odd, but I think they're targeting this at audio applications and I guess the midi I/O ports are intended for a controller device. besides, there are good portable midi interfaces out there, so midi is more of an afterthought on a product like this.
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » News... » Gear News
Jump to: