electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » ChucK programming language
Setting up Ubuntu
Page 2 of 3 [52 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
pulsewidth

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'd love to see something like that! There's been a lot of unrest in the Ubuntu Studio camp of late, so distro-jumping might be worth doing.
Does anyone on the ChucK forum have an idea of the number of Linux users in the forum ? Just curious.

Does the 0.1.3.8b miniAudicle in PlanetCCRMA have ChucK 1.2.1.2 in it ?
Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

pulsewidth wrote:

Does anyone on the ChucK forum have an idea of the number of Linux users in the forum ? Just curious.

I just started a pool in Schmooze to find out! Smile

/Stefan

Inventor
Stream Operator

Audio files: 267

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BobTheDog wrote:
And they wonder why Microsoft did do well Smile

Amen brother! Linux rocks but not tonight, linux sux tonight. I want one frickin program just one, and I've toyed for hours and still don't have it. This sucks.

Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

pulsewidth wrote:

Does anyone on the ChucK forum have an idea of the number of Linux users in the forum ?

Fairly large (relative to the amount of posters and as compared to the world at large), about a third or so here seems to use Linux at least some of the time. In the ChucK community at large Linux seems slightly less popular than OSX or XP, but it's a vocal minority. Outside of the Princeton/Stanford crew contributors to the source seem predominantly Linux-centric, possibly because Linux-using ChucKists will have GCC already by default (unless you are on the rather out-dated package).

For me; I run Linux on my desktop for browsing and quick tests and XP (most of the time, I have a Linux drive as well) on my music laptop due to my soundcard. I'd prefer to run Linux full-time but need to look into re-compiling ALSA.

Quote:

Does the 0.1.3.8b miniAudicle in PlanetCCRMA have ChucK 1.2.1.2 in it ?

Likely not.

Get the Mini source. Get the ChucK 1.2.1.2 source. Delete the files in the chuck sub-dir in the Mini source (this dir will be called 1.2.1.1 most likely) Copy all of the files of the ChucK source into that dir. Build the Mini as usual. The result will be a version of the mini that has a up to date ChucK VM. This process should be quite safe and yield a result that's generally superior to the standard Mini, it'll even report the correct ChucK version in the "about" dialogue box.

Sadly this doesn't work for the Audicle, at least I got errors that were beyond me trying that.

Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BobTheDog wrote:
And they wonder why Microsoft did do well Smile

MS did well because they had a headstart and some luck. Without that we'd be wondering why MS doesn't even have a package manager and we have to go to some website, download a installer and click on all sorts of options, just to install a program.

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here are the error messages that I get when compiling miniAudicle:

Code:
chuck_vm.cpp:2078: error: ‘sort’ is not a member of ‘std’
make[2]: *** [chuck_vm.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/leshall/Documents/miniAudicle-0.1.3.8/chuck-1.2.1.1/src'
make[1]: *** [chuck] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home]/leshall/Documents/miniAudicle-0.1.3.8'
make: [linux-jack] Error 2 (ignored)

Help!

pulsewidth

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

could you please send some of the lines before the error ? Chances are that there may still be a missing package, and the output prior to the error will likely tell what it is...
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sure, pulsewidth, thanks. here it is:

Code:
make -f makefile.jack
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/leshall/Documents/miniAudicle-0.1.3.8'
make -C chuck/src -f makefile.jack
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/leshall/Documents/miniAudicle-0.1.3.8/chuck-1.2.1.1/src'
g++ -D__LINUX_JACK__ -c -O3 -D__CK_SNDFILE_NATIVE__ chuck_vm.cpp
chuck_vm.cpp: In member function ‘long unsigned int Chuck_VM::process_msg(Chuck_Msg*)’:
chuck_vm.cpp:1007: warning: format ‘%d’ expects type ‘int’, but argument 3 has type ‘long unsigned int’
chuck_vm.cpp: In member function ‘long unsigned int Chuck_VM_Stack::initialize(long unsigned int)’:
chuck_vm.cpp:1373: warning: too few arguments for format
chuck_vm.cpp: In member function ‘void Chuck_VM_Shreduler::status(Chuck_VM_Status*)’:
chuck_vm.cpp:2078: error: ‘sort’ is not a member of ‘std’
make[2]: *** [chuck_vm.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/leshall/Documents/miniAudicle-0.1.3.8/chuck-1.2.1.1/src'
make[1]: *** [chuck] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/leshall/Documents/miniAudicle-0.1.3.8'
make: [linux-jack] Error 2 (ignored)

pulsewidth

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Try installing these packages:

Code:
sudo apt-get install libstdc++6 libstdc++6-4.2-dev

I installed these to build some other program, wasn't sure that they were needed for miniAudicle...
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmm, I did what you said and the packages insstalled correctly, but I get the same exact output upon compiling. This is pretty rough for an installation, sigh, but thanks for your help.
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think this is a issue with the standard Mini still using ChucK 1.2.1.1 which doesn't play well with the latest version of GCC. The latest version of GCC is more picky about exact C++ syntax. This has been cleaned up in 1.2.1.2

Perform the trick to use the latest ChucK VM in the mini that I outlined above and see whether that helps; my bet is that this odd trick that may look dangerous will actually make things a lot easier for you.

I'm going to propose we do this to the version of the Linux source on the site as I agree the current situation is a mess.

Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

For reference; I send this to the dev list;

Quote:
Dear list,

On the forum there was just another question about the current canonical Mini refusing to compile on a new Ubuntu install.

I believe that issue is caused by the new GCC which refuses to deal with 1.2.1.1 and 1.2.1.1 still being included in the Mini source. I respect that Spencer is a busy man and doesn't always have the time to bake fresh versions of the Mini. However there is the easy trick of replacing the 1.2.1.1 source with the 1.2.1.2 one in the relevant directory of the Mini source. This makes it compile just fine and generally results in a preferable version. I have been using that version for quite some time now and am unaware of any bugs in it beyond those found in plain ChucK and the latest Mini.

I'd like to propose as a temporary solution that we simply pull this trick on the version provided on the site instead of all individual users having to do it at home after running into errors and asking questions. It shouldn't take more then 10 minutes for somebody who has access to the server(s) and as far as I can tell it's as safe as anything ChucK-related is likely to ever be. No knowledge of C++ is needed, just a willingness to mis-label 1.2.1.2 as 1.2.1.1 as the version of ChucK is encoded in the dir name that the Mini's own source references.

I think the Mac version was already patched(?) and suspect that the Windows executable could be treated in the same way with the same ease but I haven't personally verified that. While such treatments would be preferable the situation on those OS's isn't of the show-stopping nature as the current Linux one is.

Yours,
Kas.

wmonk

Audio files: 15

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Can you give the output of:
Code:
uname -a

Replacing the chuck version might help, otherwise an extra gcc command will do the trick (depending on the output of the command posted above)
droffset

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I recently put Ubuntu on my eeePC and want to install this as well, glad you're putting info here. Some complicated stuff! Will probably wait on it until there's a button that does it all.
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah it's a PITA right now. I hope they fix things in the next release...
jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

wmonk wrote:
For those who don't like to compile it yourself, try the Fedora distribution with Planet CCRMA. If you like I'll post a tutorial to set up a small linux musical workstation within 45 minutes!

This would be a great idea! Ubuntu is common these days, so it's good to see some simple setup for another distro here! Planet CCRMA has done alot for advancing audio, and they use it in their lab 24/7, so there's a wealth of info to be gained by a fedora/ccrma install.
jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I split wmonk's new Fedora setup guide (with Planet CCRMA's suite) to a new topic here:
http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-35424.html
pulsewidth

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@Inventor: Doubtless you're installing or going to install Fedora/CCRMA and that's cool, but I'm still curious: which version of Ubuntu were you on during your ChuCK/MiniAudicle fight ?
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't think it's a Ubuntu issue; ChucK moved with the new GCC but right now the mini is a bit out of date and so is still based on a version of ChucK that assumes a old version of GCC.
pulsewidth

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Still curious, though, as i was able to successfully build ChuCK/MiniAudicle in Ubuntu Studio 8.04 (my current install), and previously in 7.10. That's why I was asking.
Perhaps Inventor has installed 9.04 ?
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

pulsewidth, I don't know what version it is right now. Truth be told, I have been slack and just playing guitar and listening to music and stuff instead of doing anything with Linux, so i don't know the version number. It is very recent though. 9.4.10 or something? I dunno, I have to boot up linux to find out and i'm too worked up from my show and the caffeine to do any work. I'll find out for you later though. Sorry folks, I need to get back on it but not quite yet! Smile

Les

pulsewidth

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@Inventor - So, probably 9.04. That's probably why you experienced the failure with the install. As Kassen indicated, it would seem that a new version of GCC reared its head in 9.04. I guess I should have asked before I started dispensing advice.

As I said a post or two ago, you'll probably revisit the Linux thig with Fedora/CCRMA, but Ubuntu Studio 8.04 wouldn't be a bad thing to try.

Whatever your choice, good luck with your future Linux esperiences. It may seem a bit daunting (as you've witnessed), but worth it.
And, let's face it: there are those out there that have had less than carefree experiences with the commercial OSs as well...
BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Inventor wrote:
I have been slack and just playing guitar and listening to music and stuff instead of doing anything with Linux

Wise Man Wink
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BobTheDog wrote:
Inventor wrote:
I have been slack and just playing guitar and listening to music and stuff instead of doing anything with Linux

Wise Man Wink

hahahaha Cool

Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Do I understand correctly that Fedora has a package for ChucK and the Mini that doesn't need a compile? Is that version up to date? There is a Ubuntu ChucK package but that one is quite out of date.
Page 2 of 3 [52 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » ChucK programming language
Jump to: