electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
Live streaming at radio.electro-music.com

host / artist show at your time
  EdisonRex Edison's Electronic Review
Please visit the chat
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Linux as a music workstation
Setting up Fedora with Planet CCRMA
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
wmonk

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Good, this is a guide to install Fedora and PlanetCCRMA.
For those who want the newest Chuck and miniAudicle in Fedora, I compiled the rpm, please contact me if you want it (can't post rpms here)

Updated on the 7th of July.

1. Download the Fedora distribution. If you've a fast internet connection, I recommend the netinstall, so you only install the files you want, and you don't have to update after the installation process. The newest Fedora is 11, but please use 10.
The best way for audio on linux is still 32-bit.
See below for the download links.

2. Put the disc (netinstall or DVD) in your pc and reboot. Choose "Install or upgrade an existing system." The process asks to do a CD/DVD check. Don't skip it. After the check the CD/DVD is ejected, put it back.

3. Choose your preferred language and keyboard layout.

4. If there are no partitions or you've a brand new hard disk choose Yes if the process asks for Initialize the Hard Disk.

5. Network setup. Choose a hostname (the name of your pc, in my case every pc gets a name with an O, (oskar, otto, oswald and orland Wink ) so communication on a network is possible. And it's cool to give a pc a name, isn't it?
The domain can be anything, as long as all pcs have the same domain, the default localdomain is ok.

6. Choose a time zone. Uncheck "System uses UTC" if you've windows on your pc in a dual-boot. (see below)

7. Choose a root password. This has to be a good password. The root is like the administrator in windows, but can do much more good and bad stuff.

8. Disk partitioning. Read careful. The following is if you want Fedora/PlanetCCRMA on your PC as only OS.

a) You want at least 4 partitions: a boot partition, a root partition for the operating system, a home partition for your personal data, and a swap partition (an extension of the RAM on your hard disk)
b) advice on sizes of the partitions:
/boot: 200MB
swap: twice as much as you've RAM. If you have 512MB RAM, the swap partition should be 1024MB. If you have 1GB RAM, the swap partition should be 2048 MB. And so on..
/ (or root): 10GB
/home: 5+ GB (can be anything, depends on the size of the hard disk, fill up the space!)
c) Set up the partition table:
- Add partitions for /boot en root (/) in the primary zone, /home and swap can be in the extended zone. You have to specify the filesystem for each partition. Use ext3 for /, /boot and /home, and use swap for the swap-space. Specify the desired size.
- Another, and in my opinion better way is to divide the available space in Logical Volumes. You need LVs if you want more then one OS on your PC. I'll explain how to set this up in another post.
d) Click on OK, the new partitions will be formatted.

9. Boot loader setup. Check the "install GRUB on the Master Boot Record". If you've no other OS, leave the other settings.

10. Software selection. This is the most important part. We want a fast system that is good for audio-editing, so we don't want all the graphical gimmicks.
Click on "Customize Now". We only want to install the graphical environment now. There are three in the standard installation: Gnome (default of Ubuntu), KDE (my favourite, but it's the gimmick-one) and XFCE (fast, fast, euh, that's the one we want! Very Happy ) Uncheck the KDE, and check both Gnome and XFCE.
Uncheck "Office and Productivity", "Software Development" and "Web Server". We'll install the multimedia packages later.

11. Click on OK, and the software is installed.

12. After reboot, you've to add an user, some other simple settings, and you're done!

Installation of PlanetCCRMA
1. Log in and start the terminal. (Applications -> System Tools -> Terminal)
Start Firefox and load this post, for easy copy and paste
2. Type "su". You're asked for the root password.
3. We have to install the PlanetCCRMA repository first:
Code:
rpm -Uvh http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/mirror/fedora/linux/planetccrma/10/i386/planetccrma-repo-1.1-2.fc10.ccrma.noarch.rpm

4. We're ready for the go:
Code:
yum install planetccrma-apps

Yum will download and install the most used audio packages now.
5. You can use the packages now Smile
6. To install Chuck and miniAudicle (as provided by planetccrma):
Code:
yum install chuck miniaudicle

7. We have a completely free and opensource OS. That means we don't have MP3 support. To install MP3 support, use the following commands:
Code:
rpm -ivh http://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/fedora/rpmfusion-free-release-stable.noarch.rpm

rpm -ivh http://download1.rpmfusion.org/nonfree/fedora/rpmfusion-nonfree-release-stable.noarch.rpm

rpm --import /etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-rpmfusion-*

yum install gstreamer-plugins-ugly gstreamer-plugins-bad gstreamer-ffmpeg xine-lib-extras-freeworld lame lame-mp3x

8. Done! Have fun with linux. If you've questions, please ask. This is a guide only, there's much more if you like. The dual-boot option is missing now, I'll add that later.

Download links:
[1] Fedora 10 Netinstall i386 (32-bit) http://mirror.anl.gov/pub/fedora/linux/releases/10/Fedora/i386/iso/Fedora-10-i386-netinst.iso
[2] Fedora 10 Netinstall x86_64 (64-bit) http://mirror.anl.gov/pub/fedora/linux/releases/10/Fedora/x86_64/iso/Fedora-10-x86_64-netinst.iso
Code:
Code:

Last edited by wmonk on Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Inventor
Stream Operator

Audio files: 258

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Coolness!
wmonk

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The guide is almost complete now. Please ask if you want a dual-boot system, the newest chuck files, and so on.
I'll post the guide on my website for reference.
jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This topic was originated here (split on Jul 03, 2009):

http://electro-music.com/forum/post-252296.html
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Linux as a music workstation
Jump to: