electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Jürgen Haible designs
Scanner Chorus
Page 4 of 4 [96 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4
jhaible

Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:17 am    Post subject: Re:AC Power Adapter? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

morbank wrote:

I guess the real question is, what exactly is the fuction of the lag in conjuction with the LFO rate?

To slowly change the modulation speed, instead of switching it.
Like acceleration / deceleration of a Leslie.

JH.

"I tell you the truth, if anyone says to this mountain, 'Go, throw yourself into the sea,' and does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen, it will be done for him. Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours." (Mk 11,23f)
Appliancide*

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jhaible wrote:
*Appliancide* wrote:
jhaible wrote:
*Appliancide* wrote:
Ok, I was for some reason under the impression that the scanner/waveshaper module was built differently than the chorus/vibrato module. Is not the case? Can one module be used for both purposes (obviously not at the same time)?
Sorry for the dumb question, I am just getting into this stuff.

Paul

Short reply: With some hacking you can make it work both ways.
Long reply: later. (gotta run to day job.)

JH.

I just ordered a board so I would love to hear how to do this when you have a chance. It is no hurry at all. I will taking on simpler projects first, so it will be a while before I take this on.

Thanks!

First of all, you need 9-pole switching instead of just 8 poles, because for the chorus/vibrato the first (of 9) VCAs is hard-wired on the PCB.
Then, your switch needs 4 positions (9-pole, 4-throw), as you want to select the 3 Chorus/Vibrato modes, plus enter the Scanner/Waveshaper mode.

Still interested?

yes

JH.
jhaible

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

http://www.jhaible.heim.at/interpolating_scanner_and_scanvib/jh_interpolating_scanner_and_scanvib.html

Scroll down to "marriage".

JH.

"I tell you the truth, if anyone says to this mountain, 'Go, throw yourself into the sea,' and does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen, it will be done for him. Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours." (Mk 11,23f)
davebr

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:16 pm    Post subject: Scanner panel and pcb bracket
Subject description: Construction details
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've received my 2U MOTM-style panel and built a bracket to mount the PCB. The panel is quite dense so I made a straight bracket that clamps to the row of 9 jacks. It works quite well and is very sturdy.

I used clear shaft potentiometers for level controls for the inputs and mounted 3mm LEDs behind them. I drilled a small hole in the knobs so the LEDs shine through. The looks quite sharp in operation.

I decided to use a switch for the feedback taps and inputs. Originally I was thinking of using analog muxes but decided that was a lot of work to construct. I'll mount the switch on a bracket away from the panel to allow clearance for the other panel controls and extend the shaft through the panel with a coupler.

Some photos posted at http://modularsynthesis.com/jhaible/jhscanner.htm

Dave
jhaible

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:16 am    Post subject: Re: Scanner panel and pcb bracket

davebr wrote:
I've received my 2U MOTM-style panel and built a bracket to mount the PCB. The panel is quite dense so I made a straight bracket that clamps to the row of 9 jacks. It works quite well and is very sturdy.

I used clear shaft potentiometers for level controls for the inputs and mounted 3mm LEDs behind them. I drilled a small hole in the knobs so the LEDs shine through. The looks quite sharp in operation.

I decided to use a switch for the feedback taps and inputs. Originally I was thinking of using analog muxes but decided that was a lot of work to construct. I'll mount the switch on a bracket away from the panel to allow clearance for the other panel controls and extend the shaft through the panel with a coupler.

Some photos posted at http://modularsynthesis.com/jhaible/jhscanner.htm

Dave

Beautiful!

But you know that now, as we have learned about the possibility to integrate LEDs into potentiometer knobs, we absolutely *must* see a video of that in action, sooner or later! Wink

JH.

davebr

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Scanner panel and pcb bracket

jhaible wrote:
Beautiful!

But you know that now, as we have learned about the possibility to integrate LEDs into potentiometer knobs, we absolutely *must* see a video of that in action, sooner or later! Wink

JH.

There sure are a lot of wires on this module! I've got to finish wiring up the switch before I can finish the front panel. I've updated the web page showing the bracket I made for the switch. I've also got all the LEDs wired up.

I added a video of the LEDs in operation. The link is just below the front panel image.
http://modularsynthesis.com/jhaible/jhscanner.htm

Dave
davebr

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Scanner panel and pcb bracket

davebr wrote:

There sure are a lot of wires on this module! I've got to finish wiring up the switch before I can finish the front panel. I've updated the web page showing the bracket I made for the switch. I've also got all the LEDs wired up.

I finished wiring the module this morning. The front panel took a lot of time to wire up and the more wires I soldered to the switch the harder it became to keep track of where all the individual switch lugs were. It just takes time and patience.

Complete!

Dave
johans121

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Scanner panel and pcb bracket

davebr wrote:

Complete!

As always, your work is to be commended!

-Jim
vtl5c3

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:14 pm    Post subject: Inductor - Mouser Part #? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm starting to put together a Mouser order for the Scanner Chorus. Out of the three parts listed below, which would be best for this project?

http://mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?qs=sGAEpiMZZMv126LJFLh8y5cwqA7S1RZcWYHMT0LrUfM%3d

http://mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?qs=sGAEpiMZZMv126LJFLh8y%2fjAS0rgjgDE4P5bjPuANtk%3d

http://mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?qs=sGAEpiMZZMv126LJFLh8y%252b6kQitOS61Q3558RAH9rCo%3d
jhaible

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Inductor - Mouser Part #? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

vtl5c3 wrote:
I'm starting to put together a Mouser order for the Scanner Chorus. Out of the three parts listed below, which would be best for this project?

http://mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?qs=sGAEpiMZZMv126LJFLh8y5cwqA7S1RZcWYHMT0LrUfM%3d

http://mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?qs=sGAEpiMZZMv126LJFLh8y%2fjAS0rgjgDE4P5bjPuANtk%3d

http://mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?qs=sGAEpiMZZMv126LJFLh8y%252b6kQitOS61Q3558RAH9rCo%3d

The 09P

JH.

vtl5c3

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks. I just realized that's the one on the BOM. Embarassed
jhaible

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

vtl5c3 wrote:
Thanks. I just realized that's the one on the BOM. Embarassed

The picture in the Mouser catalog is so bad though that I had to look twice, myself. Smile

JH.

vtl5c3

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:06 pm    Post subject: Matched pairs Q Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Could I use 2SC1583s or handmatched transistors instead of the specced LM394/SSM2210s? Trying to cut costs a bit by using what I already have on hand.

R.
jhaible

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Matched pairs Q Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

vtl5c3 wrote:
Could I use 2SC1583s or handmatched transistors instead of the specced LM394/SSM2210s? Trying to cut costs a bit by using what I already have on hand.

R.

Yes, but offset voltage will directly result in modulation noise (at 16 times the modulation speed)

JH.

vtl5c3

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 10:30 am    Post subject: LM394s Gone? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Have LM394 supplies dried up? Futurelec was kind enough to let me pay for them. After three weeks of waiting I emailed them and was told they no longer have them.

Looks like I may have to buy SSM2210s from Bridechamber at $6 apiece.
vtl5c3

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 7:11 pm    Post subject: 9P4T Switch? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

To anyone who's built the 'have your cake and eat it too' version of the scanner chorus - can you recommend a part number and source for the 9P4T rotary switch?

Thanks!

Romeo
vtl5c3

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Continuing this monologue, I think I found a part number at mouser: 690-C4D0904N-A

I also found one here:

http://www.surplussales.com/RF/rfcerrot_6.html

PN: (SWR) 283822

R.
numbertalk

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi JH,

First, are there any boards available for this project?

Also, was looking at the documentation, and I understand your drawing of the 8P3T switch for the most part, but am a little confused about what the circled/grouped numbers in the bottom wiring diagram table are exactly.

Finally, I'm a little confused about the LPF wiring diagram - is that a dual gang pot that's being used and wired to the input header and input level pot?

Thanks!
davebr

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

vtl5c3 wrote:
Continuing this monologue, I think I found a part number at mouser: 690-C4D0904N-A

That is the switch I used. One thing to note is that this switch is extremely hard to turn - e.g. it takes a lot of force. I could not turn mine with a round knob. I had to have a flatted style to be able to grip it well enough.

Dave
jhaible

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

numbertalk wrote:
Hi JH,

Yes!

Quote:

Also, was looking at the documentation, and I understand your drawing of the 8P3T switch for the most part, but am a little confused about what the circled/grouped numbers in the bottom wiring diagram table are exactly.

This drawing?
http://www.jhaible.de/interpolating_scanner_and_scanvib/scanvib_switch_wiring.pdf
What is circled together shares one Tap of the LC delay line.

Quote:

Finally, I'm a little confused about the LPF wiring diagram - is that a dual gang pot that's being used and wired to the input header and input level pot?

Right!

JH.

numbertalk

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jhaible wrote:
numbertalk wrote:
Hi JH,

Yes!

Excellent! I will have to order 1 or 2 very soon!

jhaible wrote:
numbertalk wrote:

This drawing?
http://www.jhaible.de/interpolating_scanner_and_scanvib/scanvib_switch_wiring.pdf
What is circled together shares one Tap of the LC delay line.

Ah I see, so it's just to visually be able to quickly see where all the different taps/poles connect to the different "throws".

jhaible wrote:
numbertalk wrote:

Right!

Thanks!
Page 4 of 4 [96 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Jürgen Haible designs
Jump to: