electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Alesis Andromeda
Voice out of tune over short range - AutoTune says TUNEOK?
Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
SynthasaurusRex

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:56 pm    Post subject: Voice out of tune over short range - AutoTune says TUNEOK? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't think I've seen this reported here. I have a brand new Andromeda and at least four of the voices' VCOs are consistently out of tune, over a small section of their range (different ranges on different voices). AND, Autotune does not flag them as bad (everything shows as "TUNEOK"). How is that possible?

I've tried a SoftButton 4 power-up - no change.

If any of the experts on here have any suggestions I'll gladly try them, cause I sure don't want to send back another Andromeda (this is my second bad one).

-Stephen
sunny pedaal

Audio files: 12

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

how much out of tune?
can you check it with a strobe toner or so. ( b.e. peterson, as normal tuners have a margin of +-1cents already themself)
normally i'd say +- 4 cents is the max. ( it's an analog synth)
also have a look at this topic:
http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-4200.html&highlight=

and this:
http://electro-music.com/forum/viewtopic.php?highlight=tuning&t=9929
i had mine replace the voiceboard when differences of 10cents were found , and also changed 4 individual voicechips to get the worst voices in range.
however it's not an digital synth so some differences have to be accepted, therefore the +-4cents i presummed.
if not a problem without the "normal" range , then congratualations on your ears
SynthasaurusRex

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Sunny,

Thanks for your reply. Sorry, I left out some important info - one voice is <severely> out of tune, others are less so, but very noticeable.

In the attached file you will hear voice #10 by itself, followed by voice #10 with another, well-behaved voice.

Still want me to put the tuner on it? Very Happy

-Stephen

Andy Voice 10.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Andy Voice 10.mp3
 Filesize:  420.64 KB
 Downloaded:  965 Time(s)

sunny pedaal

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yes something like 100cents or so ?
when the rest is tested and within the +-4cents range, i'd choose for the just replace the bad voicechip in question ( affecting voice 9+10 as they come in pairs.
when you know somebody who has experience in resoldering and soldering these ( footless ) chips then it might take 10minutes of opening the a6, 5 minutes of getting the otherone out and the new one in and 10 minutes of closing. might even swap one more oscillatorchip and or filterchip, which are the second worst after testing.
that's how i did it , and now my a6 is as good as it gets , and stays that way.
acourse you can also reinstall tuningtables etc, but as it only afects one voicepart , i don't think that's the issue here.
when you find a good technician or the numarkservice centre close that's one step. the chips itself are at numark/alesis. i paid something like 44$ for one.
SynthasaurusRex

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah, but that would void the warranty on this brand new unit. I'll just return it to the dealer and hope the next one will be better. That will be my third unit. Anyone else having this much trouble finding a working Andromeda?

But I'm still left wondering why AutoTune wouldn't catch this. It regularly turns off a couple of the voices for BADFILT, can't it tell that these VCOs aren't tuning?

-Stephen
sunny pedaal

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

when returning to the dealer/ service centre, say what the problem is and suggest the option i wrote above. otherwise you might get another refurbished with voice 10 oke but voice 8 out of range maybe.
as written i had a voiceboard replaced( as the whole tracking over the keyboard was way out of range) + 2 times individual chips changed, but since then it's very well oke.
SynthasaurusRex

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, I returned it for a replacement. The replacement is here and it appears to be perfect! Everything tunes!

Now I'm looking forward to learning this thing and not troubleshooting it. Very Happy

Stephen
LamerDeluxe

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sunny, where exactly did you buy those replacement chips?

I wonder if they have the SRAM chips, I might just try to repair my own main board and if that fails order a replacement one.

Then if I still have problems with voices hanging in the effects section, I could try replacing voice chips.
sunny pedaal

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

asked ( the service station kind person from )alesis/numark
LamerDeluxe

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Alesis in the Netherlands or the USA?
sunny pedaal

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i bought mine in germany (so germany).
just contact them and ask i'd say.
LamerDeluxe

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Okay, thank you very much for the information.

Maybe they also have the replacement SRAM chip I need.
Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Alesis Andromeda
Jump to: