electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
G2 DSP EXPANSION BOARDS ON SALE AT ENCORE ELECTRONICS
Page 1 of 5 [115 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
ersatzplanet

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:10 pm    Post subject:  G2 DSP EXPANSION BOARDS ON SALE AT ENCORE ELECTRONICS Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't know if this has been posted here or not yet but it looks like Encore Electronics is selling a G2 DSP expander clone PCB for $499.

http://www.encoreelectronics.com/cont_dsp1.html
http://www.encoreelectronics.com/cont_product.html

I have no idea if/how well it works but it looks like somebody stepped up to the plate and made one.

Their web page says Now Shipping.

-James

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: G2 DSP EXPANSION BOARDS ON SALE AT ENCORE ELECTRONICS Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ersatzplanet wrote:
I have no idea if/how well it works but it looks like somebody stepped up to the plate and made one.

Shocked a clone Laughing

Quote:
The Nord Modular G2 DSP expansion board has the same functionality as the original out-of-production board. It adds 4 DSPs to your Nord Modular G2 based instrument. Installation is extremely simple. No soldering necessary. It comes with mounting hardware.

Note: This only works with G2 instruments: G2, G2X and G2 Engine.

It does not work with prior Nord Modular hardware.

Jason

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

for a company that has been in business since 1990 and dont have any contact info other than a strange email... I still have to say nice! I hope they dont blow g2s up though, lots of other cool products too, Similar to others I have seen.
EdisonRex
Site Admin

Audio files: 172

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Encore does make good stuff in general. I can only comment on what I own, which is a frequency shifter, but it is very well built and does what it is intended to and more.

Home,My Studio,and another view
Jason

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

good to hear EdisonRex! thank you. Pricey I think but very tempting.
veta

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

this is great news!!!

they're a little pricey, tho. i wonder if we could organize a group buy & get the price down a bit?

looking at the other expansion thread, we've already got close to 90 boards requested. i'm sure with a little more time we could get that up to at least 100. someone should contact Encore & see if they would be willing to work something out.

seriously, f**k Clavia. people have been begging & pleading with them forever and they have done nothing but let their modular line stagnate & die (the original modular AND the G2!). they had a chance to make some money here with the expansion boards but they sat on their ass & now someone else has stepped up & actually DONE something.

Encore deserves our support. Clavia doesn't.
peterkadar

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

that's pretty cool news. I've definitely heard of Encore Electronics before, and have that issue of Keyboard with the review of the Expressionist in it. Sounds legit.

I think the price tag isn't far from what I had paid for my expansioni board... I know they were quite a bit more earlier.

In any case, there are a few more G2s in my area for sale. Perhaps I'll double up and get a few more Wink
Wout Blommers

Audio files: 123
G2 patch files: 12

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, I think somebody felt it took Clavia to much time to do the second run... Who will try? If it works, I'll write everybody on the 'second run' thread to do the same Smile
Anyway, it surely looks like a clone. To be honest, it is the easiest part of the G2 to clone Very Happy

Wout
Wout Blommers

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

veta wrote:
... seriously, f**k Clavia. people have been begging & pleading with them forever and they have done nothing but let their modular line stagnate & die (the original modular AND the G2!). they had a chance to make some money here with the expansion boards but they sat on their ass & now someone else has stepped up & actually DONE something.
Well, maybe I can shine some light on this Smile In a nut shell it works like this: you can develop and produce an instrument, but you have to sell it too! And selling is done by others, like distributors and retailers. And the last group doesn't like the Nord Modular, Classic nor G2. Much to complicate to sell, because they don't understand it themselves...
So the distributor has a problem, which means the producer has a problem. To keep this a workable situation companies work with contracts: a minimum of items to be bought by the distributor (and only by that particular distributor), so the producer can calculate how many bread-and-butter they are able to eat the coming months... (The succes of the NordLead made the Nord Modular Classic possible, so did the Nord Electro to the G2...)
And then comes in today’s world wide crisis, not the time for most distributors to do risc full investments. Okay, almost 100 users indicate they want to buy an expansion board, but talking/writing is cheap… In practice, will they do so when it is available? Encore Electronics know this too, I hope Smile
I think both companies deserve our support and if you really want to have a sexual relation with somebody in the Nord Modular G2 line, try the retailer, but use something so it will be save sex!

Wout

PS I won't be surprised to learn one day there is a relation between Encore and Stockholm... Doing that developing job to sell 50 at the most? Do you believe that?

Last edited by Wout Blommers on Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:14 am; edited 1 time in total
cappy2112

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

EdisonRex wrote:
Encore does make good stuff in general. I can only comment on what I own, which is a frequency shifter, but it is very well built and does what it is intended to and more.

I've installed Encore's midi kit into my OB8 back in 94 or so. Haven't had any problems, and got great service when I had questions.

Last edited by cappy2112 on Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:30 am; edited 1 time in total
peterkadar

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I already shot Encore an email asking if they were linked up with Clavia, among other details about the board. I haven't heard back yet, but its early where I'm at, and I think they're on the west coast.

Now this makes me want to grab a few more G2s. Will my addiction ever end???
Wout Blommers

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

peterkadar wrote:
... Will my addiction ever end???
Surely it will, only you won't live long enough to witness it Wink

Wout
cappy2112

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: G2 DSP EXPANSION BOARDS ON SALE AT ENCORE ELECTRONICS Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ersatzplanet wrote:
I don't know if this has been posted here or not yet but it looks like Encore Electronics is selling a G2 DSP expander clone PCB for $499.

Their web page says Now Shipping.

-James

Many people here know Mark Pulver, from way back, and probably trust his word. Mark is advocating for the company and the boards.

Quote:
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 10:22:26 -0700
To: AH <analogue>
Subject: Re: [AH] To all those Nord G2 owners without the DSP
expansion...
Message-Id: <5>

I wanted to share a smidge of background info about this.

Tony may be a a lot quieter here on AH than in past years, but he's still
pretty active in the synth community. When Clavia dropped the DSP
expansion, people (of course) started complaining. Tony watched all this go down, and had a look into what it would take.

He spent some time reviewing the Nord design, found a number of places to be improved, and this is the result. The Encore G2 DSP expansion is a 100% compatible product, with lower noise and cleaner power to the DSPs.

I'm already sitting on a G2x, otherwise I'd be on this in an instant!

Mark

purusha

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'd go for one depending on how easy it'd be to get one over here in the UK.
veta

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wout Blommers wrote:
veta wrote:
... seriously, f**k Clavia. people have been begging & pleading with them forever and they have done nothing but let their modular line stagnate & die (the original modular AND the G2!). they had a chance to make some money here with the expansion boards but they sat on their ass & now someone else has stepped up & actually DONE something.
Well, maybe I can shine some light on this Smile In a nut shell it works like this: you can develop and produce an instrument, but you have to sell it too! And selling is done by others, like distributors and retailers.

i am aware of all this. i was not expecting them to just keep making modulars indefinitely, or to make the new dsp boards at the drop of a hat.

my disgust with Clavia stems more from their handling of the software side: to this day they never have completed a mac os x compatible-editor for the g1 (it exists in a buggy beta state, leaving the user community to create their own editor from scratch!). it took Clavia a year to come out with the new vista/intel compatible g2 editor, which now also appears to have it's own set of bugs. there have been no new modules produced for the modulars, or even an sdk released to allow the community to write it's own modules. and all along, it seems easier to get an audience with the wizard of Oz than to communicate with Clavia. no updates, progress reports, no communication with this forum, the modular discontinued & wiped from their website with no warning. terrible...

what Clavia must realize is by improving their support & communication they would sell more hardware! they would demonstrate that they support their products and their users by improving and expanding their hardware & software & fixing bugs, responding to requests, etc. this builds a good reputation via word of mouth and this sort of thing is invaluable in the marketplace.

all they've demonstrated, at least with their modular line, is that they know how to drop the ball & abandon things. how could i recommend someone buy a new g3 modular given Clavias history? would it be supported? would bugs get fixed? would someone be willing to take such an expensive gamble in buying one? this situation is all Clavias fault & no one elses.
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

veta wrote:
this situation is all Clavias fault & no one elses.

Yeah I'd buy a G3 immediately Laughing anyway ... here seems an opportunity to upgrade G2s for those who still can and want to use 'm ... hope it will be good boards put to good use!

And I wonder what this will do for the price of G2s, I've seen people express a renewed interest in the synth Wink

Jason

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I would indeed buy a G3 as well.
When I bought this gear I knew well going in that anything relies directly on an OS will be obsolete soon and would require special attention.
Much like my old Yamaha computer system that was a DX7 but in computer form (CX5M), they weren't going to keep supporting that thing. Small companies don't have the resources to cover everything many of us take for granted or have a sense of entitlement towards.

My point was that the G2 is so special in my opinion I try to know these issues beforehand and take them as they are. I love the synth plain and simple despite its problems. I dont expect Roland to be issuing any firmware for my old synths nor do I expect much if anything from Clavia anytime soon.

Anyway I guess this is getting off topic now, but yes I still would love an expansion card!
Wout Blommers

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

About Clavia... The NordLead was introduced... 1995?
Still in production and support (well, almost Smile
I wonder how long was the DX7 on the market?

Wout
davep

Audio files: 10
G2 patch files: 73

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi all,

Just thought I would chime in here about Tony Karavidas and Encore Electronics. I used to work with Tony a few years ago at an audio company here in northern California and I did a little work with him developing the Encore Universal Event Generator module (I though up the idea and feature set, he did all the real work). I've kept in touch with him from time to time since then. I can vouch for him and his company. He's a good guy and completely trustworthy.

Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That's a pretty cool product. That someone is willing to make the investment it takes to manufacture this clone at a similar cost to the original gives a hint of the estimated size of the dedicated G2 user base, I think.

/Stefan

Tim Kleinert

Audio files: 7
G2 patch files: 236

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey -Tony Karavidas! That's the guy from which I bought an expansion board on ebay just 2 weeks ago, because one of mine had gone bust. I had seen in his feedback that he had sold a few lately, but I didn't know they were newly manufactured ones.
I can only say that it was a 100% smooth ebay transaction and shipping was very fast.
I can vouch for him too.
Wout Blommers

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Tim,

The original Clavia board reads [Modular G2/expansion/V0.3] and [Made in Sweden by Clavia]
The Encore reads [Modular G2/expansion/V1.0]

You can check this out in you G2X's Smile

If you have an Encore product, you surely can tell us if it works yes or no!!!! (We all know you are a critical user Smile

Wout
cappy2112

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: G2 DSP EXPANSION BOARDS ON SALE AT ENCORE ELECTRONICS Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ersatzplanet wrote:

-James

Here are some pics side by side with the Clavia Expander.

The Encore board looks and feels as solid as the Clavia board, but I didn't measure the thickness.

It looks like there are more decoupling caps on the Encore board (at least on the back of the board). I think this is what Mark Pulver was eluding to in my other post, although he didn't quite elaborate.

I didn't do an exhaustive test, but I didn't notice any differences after loading/palying a few patches.

Will try loading some patches & performances which max out the loading, tomorrow.

Front.jpg
 Description:
Front of Encore G2 Expander board
 Filesize:  1.17 MB
 Viewed:  1081 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

Front.jpg

Mounted.jpg
 Description:
Encore G2 Expander mounted in G2 keyboard
 Filesize:  1.26 MB
 Viewed:  1042 Time(s)

Mounted.jpg

back.jpg
 Description:
back of Encore G2 Expander board
 Filesize:  1.11 MB
 Viewed:  1000 Time(s)

back.jpg

Wout Blommers

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Tony!

It surely is a clone, then...
Interesting to see the differences.

How easy was it to purchase one? Payment, delivery and all?

Looking forward to the results of your test.

Wout
cappy2112

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wout Blommers wrote:
Thanks Tony!

How easy was it to purchase one? Payment, delivery and all?

Wout

A lot easier than getting the G2 tutorial Wink
(still waiting for Roland to get Paypal setup)

Encore is about 1 hour from where I live, so shipping the board took ~1 day.
Payment was easy too.

Page 1 of 5 [115 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: