electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Soft synths
Anyone tried the Arturia ARP 2600V?
Page 2 of 2 [38 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Gothboy

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
Curious, do these soft versions of the classic mono synths also have poly mode?

Yes Mosc the Arp2600V is polyphonic and is a wonderful VI. I'm hoping for some improvements RTAS-wise in V2 that will improve Pro Tools 8 stability. I also broke down and got the ProphetV as well and it's amazing despite the need for a dongle(which came in the box)...you get the ProphetVS AND the ability to stack them but I'm off topic a bit here. Laughing
I need a new controller now. Oh boy. Rolling Eyes

The 2600V is a desert island VI. To learn sound design it's all you really need...also has chorus and delay and the sequencer makes it a must have. I LOVE it and within minutes had a great sounding patch going in a song.

Novation SL49/Remote Zero
Mophox4, Nord Lead 2, Roland System 1, Novation Nova, Nord Micro modular, Korg Radias, Roland d-05, Yamaha A3000 sampler, Novation SL MK2 and Remote Zero controllers, Arturia Beatstep and SparkLE

"We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Dymaxion Vehicle Music at www.dymaxionvehicle.com/

Last edited by Gothboy on Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gothboy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
The real 2600 has a state variable filter if I remember correctly. I think that would be 12 dB/8va.

The original had a 24db/octave 4012 filter...later changed to the 4072 as a result of the Moog lawsuit.

Mophox4, Nord Lead 2, Roland System 1, Novation Nova, Nord Micro modular, Korg Radias, Roland d-05, Yamaha A3000 sampler, Novation SL MK2 and Remote Zero controllers, Arturia Beatstep and SparkLE

mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Gothboy wrote:
The original had a 24db/octave 4012 filter...later changed to the 4072 as a result of the Moog lawsuit.

Wow, I never knew that. Very interesting. I bet that was when Bob Moog didn't own the company. I guess the vintage 2600s with the 4012 filter are quite desirable for collectors.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Gothboy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
Gothboy wrote:

Wow, I never knew that. Very interesting. I bet that was when Bob Moog didn't own the company. I guess the vintage 2600s with the 4012 filter are quite desirable for collectors.

The first one produced...the blue Meanie....I think there's actually only 25 in existence. I'm sure the pre-4072 models are VERY expensive...that's why the Arturia version is so cool as it puts one right in your studio(with 3 skins of every model produced btw). For a limited time it's onsale for half off. I got mine from Sweetwater for $99.00! Pretty sweet deal and the upgrade coming soon will be free. Wink

mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, this is a very informative topic for me. Thanks. Smile

In the early 70s when ARP was introducing their products, Bob Moog unfortunately lost control of his company. He couldn't even us his own last name in business. That's why for years his company was called Big Briar. People who knew Bob said he was a lousy businessman. I met him a few times and I know he was a very nice person. That's why it is my belief that he would not have personally sued ARP for using a 24 db/8va low pass filter. If he was that type of protective person, he wouldn't have gotten so enthusiastically behind Arturia when they made the Moog V softie.

Unfortunately, ARP itself got sucked up by CBS musical instruments, and that ruined ARP.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Gothboy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:

Unfortunately, ARP itself got sucked up by CBS musical instruments, and that ruined ARP.

I always thought it was the Avatar and the Chroma that did this! Laughing No, seriously before the Avatar the company was in serious trouble.

These guys were inventors...not buisnessmen. I live not too far from where Perlman started out his company in Worcester, Ma. It's almost hallowed ground!

So Mosc...are you gonna throw down for the 2600V? If you are you better make it soon while you can get it for 1/2 price!

elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Gothboy wrote:
So Mosc...are you gonna throw down for the 2600V? If you are you better make it soon while you can get it for 1/2 price!

Howard still has a very nice real Moog modular Laughing

BTW, half price where? Shocked

Quote:
Our online store is momentarily closed

Our WebStore is closed During the holiday period from August, 1st to August 21st included.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Gothboy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
Gothboy wrote:

Howard still has a very nice real Moog modular Laughing

BTW, half price where? Shocked

Quote:
Our online store is momentarily closed

Our WebStore is closed During the holiday period from August, 1st to August 21st included.

Yeah but it's not a 2600 is it!!??
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Arp2600V/
I don't know if they ship outside the US.

mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No, I'm not buying a 2600V because I have enough stuff I don't use already. As for modular stuff, I have a G2X and a real Moog Modular, like elektro80 says.
Gothboy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mosc I don't blame you! After getting both the 2600V and ProphetV I may not ever get another!(yeah right Rolling Eyes ) With those 2 and the Micromodular I really could be happy on a desert Island.

mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Gothboy wrote:
With those 2 and the Micromodular I really could be happy on a desert Island.

As long as the desert island had a reliable power company. Very Happy

Gothboy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah....and Island on the grid...or with solar panel power!

I lied....I forgot...I want a Waldorf Blofeld!! Laughing

elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Modular synths? Besides the synthesizers.com modular and two expanded Clavia NM-1s I also have the AAS Tassman. That one is pretty good, and absolutely worth checking out if you like software synths.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Page 2 of 2 [38 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Soft synths
Jump to: