electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Waldorf
Reliability Problems with Blofeld Keyboard
Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
paugui

Audio files: 3
G2 patch files: 37

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reliability Problems with Blofeld Keyboard Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi

I was wondering if the Waldorf Keyboard has the same reliability problems the Desktop version has?
Also, is the actual OS stable enough?

Thanks in advance,
Best regards

Paugui
BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My desktop isn't unreliable!
pizzamon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mine is...just this afternoon I finally picked it back up, hoping for the best. I used midi. I started building a nice patch, and decided to use the velocity modifier. Assigned velocity to (w) modifier and poof! the whole fucking patch was lost. I get frustrated every time I pick it up.
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Are you using USB midi?
pizzamon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I was using an edirol usb to midi adapter at the time...I have been using it for many years with no problems. I usually use midi to midi though. I get instabilities all the time with the blofeld.
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

HI,

I meant the actual usb port on the back of the blofeld.

I have found it can be a bit dodgy if using the blofeld usb port to send midi while editing patches but very reliable using a midi cable. I spoke to Waldorf about it and they said it was because they run the UI on the blofeld at a low priority when midi is being received on the usb.

Maybe you have a bad unit, have you spoken to Waldorf maybe they can replace it.

Cheers

Andy
pizzamon

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks and all. There is nothing wrong with my unit though...it's just dodgy. Shame really. I understand that it's waldorf's intro back into the market. It's a cheap build is the problem. Either the dsp, or the on board memory, or something in the blo is of a cheaper variety which has proven itself unreliable. Hopefully they are making good money on it, and can bring out a proper stromberg.
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

As I said before mine is totally reliable, the build quality on mine is also good.
robsol
Stream Operator

Audio files: 495

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There have been some reports of unreliable parts on the unofficial waldorf mailing list, but it is difficult to say exactly how widespread those problems are. Most users are definitely happy.

As for the software, be sure that waldorf is working on it. They have had some problems in the past, and still have some bugs here and there, but in that respect they are not much different from the vast majority of hardware manufacturers. The wonderful thing about waldorf is that they have unique ideas and a great sounding synth.

For the price of a New Blofeld some corners have to be cut. IMO it is a very potent machine, and stands up well compared to similar synths in the same price range, both as far as hardware and software is concerned.

My advice is buy it new, not second hand. If there are any problems you will be covered by the warranty and can send it back in the unlikely case of something going wrong.

Synthluver

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I wanted the keyboard version (back in december). I had to settle with the desktop version, which was a good thing in a way since the keyboard only appeared in store 6 months later.

I was not all that pleased at first, but the more I use it the more I find it has a few good tricks up it's sleeve. Only things bothering me is the high noise level on headphone output and no midi out. The diminutive interface (only 7 knobs) combined with its graphic LCD are first class... much easier to use and effective than I expected.

However, I went into shock when I finally put my hands down on the key version. Incredibly beautiful, a feel of overall sturdiness, good material and workmanship hardly matched by any other synth I have seen with the exception of the Little Phatty. Still, the keys of the Blofeld are superior IMO to that of the Phatty.

Unfortunately, this does not say anything about long term reliability, but the feel was so good and I was so impressed, I am probably get one before the year is over.

Hope this helps.
Synthluver

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Edit : Ooops, double post (sql error, server has vanished)...deleted... it's all into message above

But I will add the I have not had reliabilities issues or major bugs so far. Maybe I am not the heaviest user around, but i am a happy camper with it.
Wan

Audio files: 4
G2 patch files: 46

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Same story here, i first had a Blofeld desktop, but have changed that for a Blofeld keyboard. And indeed that are nice keys to me. The sample option is a bit basic and slow in communication, but it does work allright. So no problems for me:)
fky

Audio files: 23
G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Unfortunately I ecountered a display issue on my desktop unit, the text will fade after several minutes' warming up. I saw a famous musician in HK had the same issue on its new bought blofeld keyboard. Now I am asking for warranty repair. Hopefully it is just a exceptional case.
Germany should produce the best quality in the world. My micro Q & access are very solid though after so many years. ...

Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Waldorf
Jump to: