electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
G2 DSP EXPANSION BOARDS ON SALE AT ENCORE ELECTRONICS
Page 2 of 5 [115 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
Wout Blommers

Audio files: 123
G2 patch files: 12

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

cappy2112 wrote:

A lot easier than getting the G2 tutorial Wink
Oh no! Don't you know you can't use the tutorial when the synth is expanded...?!?

Wout
tonykara

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:42 pm    Post subject: Encore G2 Expansion on EBAY. Only 1 available at this price. Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi all,

To get people interested, I thought I would list one on ebay for an opening bid of $399. There are almost three days left on the auction.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160350032760

You would be getting a great price if you got it for $399.
veta

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Encore G2 Expansion on EBAY. Only 1 available at this pr Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

tonykara wrote:
Hi all,

hi Tony -

i'm curious if you would be interested in a 'group buy' arrangement?

hypothetically speaking, if we could get everyone who posted in the other thread as wanting a board (the count is currently at around 88 total boards requested) to commit to purchasing one from you, would you be willing or able to reduce the price a bit?
tonykara

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Most likely not because it is so hard to get 88 (or even 50 or 25) people to do anything in a reasonable time frame. If I said yes to some arrangement like that, it would simply drop the price without any real action from the purchasers. They've already said they were interested. Now the units are available.

What I could do is offer discounts to buyers that purchase two or more, and this would immediately serve their interest in getting a better price and we don't have to wait for others to participate. Say for example you want two boards. I can take off $30 for each board you buy. If you want to get together with a friend to buy a pair of boards, it would be ok. I would ship to only one address so you would have to collect the money from your friend on your own Smile
I have the ability to do partial refunds in Google checkout, so if you want to do something like that, I can refund $60 for a pair. Does that sound reasonable?
Wout Blommers

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Is there anybody who already wrote welcome tonykara Question
I just did Smile

Wout
peterkadar

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh YEAH!

Shit man, good to see you. Thanks for making these boards... Maybe I'll pick up an extra G2 now Smile
purusha

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

'ello!

Any comment on getting a board shipped abroad - UK in my case. I presume it's not a huge problem?

Very Happy

tonykara

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Shipping internationally is no problem at all.
ersatzplanet

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: G2 DSP EXPANSION BOARDS ON SALE AT ENCORE ELECTRONICS Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

cappy2112 wrote:

Here are some pics side by side with the Clavia Expander.

The Encore board looks and feels as solid as the Clavia board, but I didn't measure the thickness.

It looks like there are more decoupling caps on the Encore board (at least on the back of the board). I think this is what Mark Pulver was eluding to in my other post, although he didn't quite elaborate.

I didn't do an exhaustive test, but I didn't notice any differences after loading/palying a few patches.

Will try loading some patches & performances which max out the loading, tomorrow.

Looking at the pictures you can see a markedly smaller number of visible traces - looks like the Encore board has more layers or at least moved more traces to inner layers. This should lower noise a bit if some of those traces are going through ground planes now. That is a fair amount of reverse engineering - kudos!
-James

tonykara

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi James,

It's a 4 layer board. I was just careful with the routing. Smile
tonykara

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:56 pm    Post subject: Expansion board on ebay Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

One is on ebay right now. I started the price lower than list price just to get some interest going.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160351831087
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

welcome tonykara, good to see you here and wish you good luck on the expansions!
qspel

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:07 pm    Post subject: g2 dsp expansion board
Subject description: for sale
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Tony,

I'm in SF, Can I deal with you directly? I've no interest in using ebay.

johnsboyd@gmail.com
tonykara

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Absolutely. You can order directly from the website.

I only posted one on ebay to make some "noise" about the product, and get a few people excited about the possibility of getting one a little cheaper (potentially a lot cheaper, but things tend to get bid up to their normal price when they are new)
dioioib

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: G2 DSP EXPANSION BOARDS ON SALE AT ENCORE ELECTRONICS Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

cappy2112 wrote:

Quote:
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 10:22:26 -0700
To: AH <analogue>
Subject: Re: [AH] To all those Nord G2 owners without the DSP
expansion...
Message-Id: <5>

I wanted to share a smidge of background info about this.

Tony may be a a lot quieter here on AH than in past years, but he's still
pretty active in the synth community. When Clavia dropped the DSP
expansion, people (of course) started complaining. Tony watched all this go down, and had a look into what it would take.

He spent some time reviewing the Nord design, found a number of places to be improved, and this is the result. The Encore G2 DSP expansion is a 100% compatible product, with lower noise and cleaner power to the DSPs.

I'm already sitting on a G2x, otherwise I'd be on this in an instant!

Mark

How would the lower noise help. Are we talking line noise from the power supply to the DSP's only?

Does this actually change the character of the sound seeing as it is digital?

Or does the a-to-d happen on chip?

I am mainly inerested in knowing if it changes the character of the sound. Can anyone post some spectrographs of basic Sin waves with the original expansion and the new encore board?

Nord Modular G2, Electron Monomachine, Access Virus TI Pølar, Korg M3-88 (expanded), Korg ER-1, Akai MPC500 (expanded), Yamaha DX7 (!E Card Expansion), Yamaha DX7 (Sylogic Expansion), MidiBox SID 6582, x0xb0x, Yamaha SK10

http://dioioib.blogspot.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
tonykara

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The lower noise buys you timing margin and reliability. Circuits have to work reliably across a temperature range and voltage range. Sometimes they fail at extremes when excessive tolerances build up. You're right, the conversion takes place elsewhere in D/A converters, but that isn't a reason not to minimize noise everywhere possible.

It's possible that noise could feed through into the D/As, but this might only be noticeable with test equipment.

To our ears, it is unlikely these effects will be noticed in this case.

I just did it this way because it's better engineering.
cappy2112

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wout Blommers wrote:
Thanks Tony!

It surely is a clone, then...
Interesting to see the differences.

How easy was it to purchase one? Payment, delivery and all?

Looking forward to the results of your test.

Wout

Sorry to delay my testing, but I've been away on a couple of business trips.

qspel

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:09 pm    Post subject: Encore G2 Expansion Board
Subject description: Encore G2 Expansion Board Install

I went ahead and bought the Encore G2 Expansion board (clone) so you can remove my name from the Clavia 2nd run list..

The clone seems to work great and installation was simple enough.

There were only instructions for installing the board into the Keyboard version so I went ahead and documented installation on my G2 Engine:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26833733@N03/sets/72157622046402178/

enjoy!

John Boyd
San Francisco
cappy2112

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Encore G2 Expansion Board

qspel wrote:
I went ahead and bought the Encore G2 Expansion board (clone) so you can remove my name from the Clavia 2nd run list..

The clone seems to work great and installation was simple enough.

There were only instructions for installing the board into the Keyboard version so I went ahead and documented installation on my G2 Engine:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26833733@N03/sets/72157622046402178/

enjoy!

John Boyd
San Francisco

Have you checked Clavia's website?
The last time I looked the instructions were there for the expander board.
The mounting instructions work for either board.

mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi, Tony. welcome

Great that you took on this project. It will make many of us very happy!!!

party time!

Just a little heads up. The write ups about this expansion mention the G2X. Of course, the G2X is already expanded. I wouldn't want someone thinking this will further expand a G2X, unless the Encore board was used as a replacement part.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Wout Blommers

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:57 am    Post subject: Re: Encore G2 Expansion Board

tonykara

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Howard,

Yes, it seems the inclusion of the G2X has caused a little bit of confusion.
The G2X did come with one as everyone knows, but it appears some people have sold them for $$$.

I only meant for it to be a matter of fact that it works in a G2X.

There has been some feedback in the thread about the proper functionality and I hope this continues as people get it installed to help alleviate any fear of incompatibility.

Regards,
Tony
cappy2112

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wout Blommers wrote:
Thanks Tony!

It surely is a clone, then...
Interesting to see the differences.

How easy was it to purchase one? Payment, delivery and all?

Looking forward to the results of your test.

Wout

Wout- sorry for the late post.

I haven't had any problems with the Encore board. I'm able to load & play patches & perfs just fine. There are no noticeable differences I can observe

The DSP's are the same as on the Clavia board, I think that's visible in the pictures I've posted.

When I power on the G2- EXP shows in the display indicating the G2 found the expansion card. If that's not indication enough, what is??

Seriously- if anyone has any special test patches/perfs they want to try, send me a PM. I'll load 'em and play 'em for you.

Well, there is one difference I have noticed- I can now play the Lucky Man solo with my left hand (and I'm a right handed guitar player) Wink

al219

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just installed the expansion from Encore on the G2 engine, everything went hasslelessly.
Tony proved to be professional and reliable.

Alberto
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

welcome Alberto, to electro-music.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Page 2 of 5 [115 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: