electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
slave to midi clock problem - help!!
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Fozzie

Audio files: 8
G2 patch files: 49

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 12:50 pm    Post subject: slave to midi clock problem - help!! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I guess I am missing something important again, but here's my problem:

on my G2 engine (v1.24), I can use an incoming midi clock (for instance from my micromodular) to sync to. The master clock becomes red in the editor, and it displays the current tempo. So far so good. Syncing delay tempo to this is also wonderful. But here's my problem: the clock generator modules refuse to sync and stop putting out a clock signal. Set to 'internal', everything runs smoothly. But set to 'master', everything is silent, no clocksignals are present.

Is this normal (I can't imagine)? I have searched the forum and the helpfunction for answers, but can't find them. Any help is appreciated!

Edit: of course, when I change the synth settings to 'ignore incoming midi clock', my problem is gone. But when syncing to an external clock, with the clockgenerator modules set to 'master', the problem occurs.
ian-s

Audio files: 42
G2 patch files: 626

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: slave to midi clock problem - help!! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Fozzie wrote:
Set to 'internal', everything runs smoothly. But set to 'master', everything is silent, no clocksignals are present.

This is strange, pressing the Master clock RUN button in the editor has no effect?
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

At first it wouldn't work here as well, but after some fiddling with ignore external clock and start/stop it suddenly worked, that is the clkgen runs and syncs to the exrternal clock, but now it won't stop :-)

I looked it up in the manual and the help file but could not find anything about it, but I think it is designed to be started and stopped by external MIDI commands. Which makes sense when you link to an external sequencer.

When this is a problem you can use two LFO's that you sync to the master, to get both the 1/96 and 1/16 outputs, letting the slower one reset the faster one.

I never really used MIDI syncing, so i don't know if the NM Classic is able to send start and stop commands over MIDI, but a while ago I experimented a bit with this and I can't remember having had this problem then ... so .. puzzled a bit.

Jan.
Fozzie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 12:00 am    Post subject: Re: slave to midi clock problem - help!! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

g2ian wrote:
Fozzie wrote:
Set to 'internal', everything runs smoothly. But set to 'master', everything is silent, no clocksignals are present.

This is strange, pressing the Master clock RUN button in the editor has no effect?

Nope, I've tried everything I can think of, including the RUN button. Maybe it is indeed the start and stop signals that are needed, but it would be nice if one could override this with the RUN button or anything else.
egw
Stream Operator

Audio files: 18
G2 patch files: 8

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I send my G2 a clock from an XL-7. I've noticed that sometimes I have to hit "play" on the XL-7 to start the clock. I don't think there is a way to do it from the micro.
Fozzie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OK, that'll be it then. Guess I have to do it with LFO's or sync my other gear to my G2.
deknow

G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 10:51 am    Post subject: ...just in case... Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

....i had a similar thing and it turned out to be (duh), a midi loop with the clock data. since i was using the g2 as a master clock (and syncing everything else to it), i just set it to "ignore external clock" and everything worked fine.

deknow
3phase

Audio files: 13
G2 patch files: 141

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The micromodular is not a proper syncmaster because it is not generating start commands.. and without such a comand the G2 dont starts.. You of cause have to enable external clock in the system settings.. but with a micromodular as clockmaster it cant work anyway.

Sven
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: