electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Tellun Neural Agonizer
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 4 of 6 [140 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next
neandrewthal

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

WOOOOOHOOOOOOOOO Very Happy

IMG_8990.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.51 MB
 Viewed:  352 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

IMG_8990.JPG

IMG_8988.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.1 MB
 Viewed:  342 Time(s)

IMG_8988.JPG

IMG_9000.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1019.06 KB
 Viewed:  336 Time(s)

IMG_9000.JPG

JohnLRice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Show off! mad, short circuit

I mean . . . wow! Wink Great job, you win! well done

I gotta get my act together and get the rest of my parts! Embarassed

Is that your own panel design? I looks really cool! I've got the BrideChamber panel.

And are those Mogami patch cables I spy????! Nice! thumright
bugfight

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

niiiice

and that patch is craaazy...
Luka

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mad
this makes me so excited !
cannot wait to get mine rollin

http://www.last.fm/user/prblmchild
sduck

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Whoa. Time out.

Way too cool!

Where'd you get those colored jack nuts and washers?

Is that a 2u panel? I've got a bridechamber one here, but haven't built the thing yet - I'd much rather have it in 2u if it can be done (and it looks like it can)
neandrewthal

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks droogs Smile

It`s my homemade 2U panel. I was gonna get the bridechamber one, but as I watched the evil backlog grow, I realized I would soon have to walk across the room and/or climb a ladder to make a patch if I didn`t abandon the standard MOTM spacing. Just wait til I roll out the 2U doomsday machine. That shit`s gonna be tight Shocked

The nuts/washers are just regular ones with cheap all-purpose spraypaint(has the best selection of colors), then a couple of coats of acrylic (for durability) then satin lacquer(to get rid of the nasty gloss).

neandrewthal

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok, I`m back again to say that I`m convinced this thing and the CGS tube VCA are made for each other. I put 2 of them in the audio path and it totally brightens the sound and makes it come alive. Dial in some feedback(from the VCAs, not the agonizer) and the reverb is so extreme you can actually hear it
repeat like a BBD delay. Awesome Cool

P.S. Since I`m here, I might as well shamelessly promote my last video I filmed just before making this discovery.

Luka

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

reverb and distortion is a match made in heaven
these vids are driving me insane andrew, i just want my built already! hehe

the tanks arrived on friday, they are fuckin huge aren't they.
while i knew they were going to be big, they still kinda shocked me when i pulled them out of the box. all the kids in our house all stood around them and were mesmerised. it was very 2001 space odessey

Smile

JohnLRice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Whoa! I think a Kazooka should be a REQUIRED accessory for all Neural Agonizer users!
http://www.electrickazoo.com/

Especially check out the sample clip titled ""kazooka at dusk" I'm DEFINITELY going to need one of these when my NA is done! Cool
numbernone

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Is everyone using the fancy opamps in their agonizers?

Reckon I'm gonna start with the 72s, and swap later if I find it necessary.
sneakthief

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i got free samples for the fancy stuff.

i'm curious why they were spec'ed so high (can't remember if it was mentioned in the user guide) ...maybe to keep the audio chain as clean as possible because there are so many opamps and the tanks themselves are really susceptible to RF interference.

j.dilisio

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What's the point of using shielded cable on the front panel wiring?
Does that cut down on interference as well?
sduck

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm about to order tanks. Neandrewthal, are your videos with the 9 type tanks from the group order? And/or does anyone have any demo files with those tanks? I'm trying to decide what to get - the type 8's will fit nicely, but I could squeeze in the type 9's if the difference is worth it.
Luka

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yup he got them from the groupbuy
peng

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sduck wrote:
I'm about to order tanks. ... I'm trying to decide what to get - the type 8's will fit nicely, but I could squeeze in the type 9's if the difference is worth it.

The difference is worth it. I built three NA's a year or two back. Two modules used type 8 and one had a pair of type 9. Unfortunately the module that used the type 9 was a custom order so is no longer in my possession.Sad

I will be replacing my type 8 tanks with type 9 because the reverb is significantly richer/fuller. If you have the space then go large, you'll be happy you did.

p.
creatorlars

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This question is unrelated to tank size, but I didn't want to start another NA thread...

I'm trying to decide how I want to build mine and am confused about the VC controls. I'm building mine with banana jacks, and typically ALWAYS have an attenuator on each VC input, since I don't include passive attenuators, etc. in my system.

Current NA users, would an attenuator on each VC in (I think there are Cool in addition to the normal bias/offset controls be useful?
peng

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

creatorlars wrote:

Current NA users, would an attenuator on each VC in (I think there are Cool in addition to the normal bias/offset controls be useful?

It is definitely useful (for me, essential). Though it does add an additional eight pots which is significant real estate! I didn't include these on mine. Instead I built a separate passive attenuator module that is always mounted next to the NA. When I'm not using the NA in a patch, it is handy to have these available.

Here's a pic of my module. Homebrew with spray paint and paint marker. I think it does a good job of illustrating the signal flow so that may be helpful to others here.

The '+' between any input and pot means that the signal patched to the jack is added to the offset control.
The jacks on the bottom far left and right are outputs for the individual tanks.

NA front.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  202.82 KB
 Viewed:  315 Time(s)

NA front.jpg

Luka

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i have attenuators for everything except stress and trauma on each tank

here is my prelim design

etch_tellunNA.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  23.4 KB
 Viewed:  40083 Time(s)

etch_tellunNA.jpg

creatorlars

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow, beautiful panels, both of you. Thanks for sharing. I will probably go with attenuators on everything, to stay consistent with the rest of my modules. I'll post a panel layout for your feedback soon.
creatorlars

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's my rough panel design for 6" Frac panel and banana jacks. Switches under A, B & Feedback labels in the top portion of the panel will normalize the send/receive connections.

Does this look right to you guys?

Luka, are those green circles LEDs on your panel?

frac_neuralagonizer.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  30.64 KB
 Viewed:  40024 Time(s)

frac_neuralagonizer.jpg

Luka

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

they are brass LED holders
which will hold green leds

you can see them in this photo
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

i hadnt installed the Leds into the holders but you can see 8 of them running down far the edge of the mankato panel

creatorlars

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Gorgeous panels!! I love the monochrome banana look. My panels are black, I wish I had gone with white knobs instead of black to get that high contrast.

The LEDs show what the CV is doing at that point, right?
Luka

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks and
yeh thats it cv visualisation

creatorlars

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i've got mine all wired up and ready to calibrate, but after looking through the manual I noticed that the switch on all the CV in jacks is connected to ground. since i'm using bananas, I can't do that -- however all my CV ins are connected via 100K pots (with one side going to ground). is this going to be okay?
j.dilisio

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mine works fine with bananas and without ground.
For the jacks with shielded cable, I just heatshrinked the shielding on that end.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 4 of 6 [140 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: