electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Windows as a music workstation
Life after the MIDIATOR
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Louis Schubert

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:58 am    Post subject: Life after the MIDIATOR
Subject description: Are there later and greater?
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I use a MIDIATOR MS124 from (then) Key Electronics.
It is a little box that connects to my PC serial port and has 4 out and 1 in MIDI.
In Cakewalk, I specify the 'Bank' and 'Channel'. MIDI out 1 is connected to a Roland Sound Canvas so, to specify the normal drum channel, select Bank 1 Channel 10. My VOCE Hammond Organ module is on MIDI out 2, and I use Channel 11, so Bank 2 Channel 11 does the trick there.
Is there another PC to MIDI Multiport hardware device currently being made and marketed?
DrJustice

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Louis !

First of all,

welcome to eletro-music.com!

And then on to your question. Yes, there are plenty of newer MIDI interfaces for PC's (and Macs)- far to many to list here.

That Midiator interface is really old, isn't it? Hey, it doesn't matter - I'm a fan of old electronics that still does it's job Smile However, it's a bit inconvenient these days with only serial and parallel interfaces. It's all USB or Firewire now. Or an internal PCI card.

If you're looking to get a replacement, you could start by checking out M-Audio interfaces. There are lots of others out there with similar products (I mention M-Audio simply because I'm familiar with them). For not much more money than the MIDI interface you can also get a box that has both MIDI and audio. This will give you decent quality recording and playback of sound as well.

Oh, and I see Midiator Midiator is still going strong.

DJ
--
Louis Schubert

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:20 pm    Post subject:  Life after the MIDIATOR
Subject description: OLD OLD OLD

Yeah, it is really, really old... but it still does work (unlike me).
You are dealing with someone who still owns and uses regularly his 1965 Nikon F. Would you please hand me that 105?
CJ Miller

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:35 pm    Post subject:
Subject description: Ports and Portability

There are lots of MIDI interfaces out there... I am not clear on your requirements. What do you need, which the Midiator doesn't do?

I've got an Emagic AMT8, which does RS422, RS232, and USB. And a MOTU MTP AV, which does RS422 and RS232. I have been told that the MOTU even works under Linux, which is the only multi-port interface I have heard of being used. Also I have an Emagic MT4 portable (USB) and various other Mac only units (RS422). And I have made basic MIDI interfaces from scratch, which is easy enough.

Being as simple as they are, even ancient interfaces are still chugging along. Never heard of one having broken yet!
CJ Miller

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok, I see, a question of later and greater...

The main differences are what kind of interface: Mac serial, Windoze serial, or USB. And drivers - if it is a multi-port interface, it is not going to work without drivers. So the type of data connection and driver support for your version of the OS is 99% of why people change MIDI interfaces. It is rarely ever a matter of new features! A few other considerations are rack vs portable, bus powered or PSU, whether or not it handles sync like SMPTE, FSK, clicks, etc. And whether or not it can work as a patch-bay with memory for studio configuration and such. Sync probably only matters if you are doing video work. Patch library functions are really more for huge studios.

For example, many pre-built computers don't ship with serial ports these days. Your average person would probably assume that it is easier to buy an interface which fits their port, rather than install an RS232 card. Or suppose somebody has used Windows98SE forever, and wants to jump to XP - but there are no drivers for their old interface. They'd be looking for a new one. The market is much less than it was ten years ago, because most people getting into computer music don't use much outboard gear.

The only real new thing related I'd say is using OSC instead of MIDI, but it's been "slow" to catch on. Music signals via ethernet.
Louis Schubert

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:20 pm    Post subject:  Life after the MIDIATOR
Subject description: Thanks

I have a 9 to 25 serial cable coming via eBay. I am pretty sure that the MIDIator will function. I used it and 4 synths with my band after the keyboard player lost his day job and had to move out of state. I shut the band down when I retired. I have now migrated everything to my recording studio so that I can provide backup via BIAB or Jammer if the singer doesn't have musicians and either doesn't like or doesn't have the Karaoke. My computer is a DIY by me and has both serial and USB. It just concerned me that, should the MIDIator actually go belly-up, I wanted to have an idea as to the possible replacement. I am carefully watching a MOTU MIDI Express on eBay. Folks, when you live where I live (pop 2,400) there is either Atlanta, which is about 2 hours away, or there is eBay.
I appreciate all the response to my first post on the forum and I look forward to checking things out here often.
BTW Once, out of my Cubase studio, I doctored up a background track that was used on America's Most Talented Kids TV program. Big deal.
sizone

Audio files: 48

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's been my experience that it's a good idea to stay away from midiman/m-audio stuff. It's cheap but -always- has q.c. and reliability issues. MOTU's a better idea.
Louis Schubert

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:04 am    Post subject:  Life after the MIDIATOR
Subject description: MOTU

I use a MOTU 2408 as the interface for the audio and (knock on wood) have found it to be highly reliable.
DrJustice

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sizone wrote:
It's been my experience that it's a good idea to stay away from midiman/m-audio stuff. It's cheap but -always- has q.c. and reliability issues. MOTU's a better idea.

I think that's a bit if a generalization. M-Audio is a cheap brand, but IMO that's cheap and cheerful as opposed to cheap and nasty. Certainly their MIDI interfaces are built like tanks and come with a lifetime warranty. I have no issues with my M-Audio MIDI interfaces. I don't think there's much that can go wrong with them.

Of course, if money is no object, then head straight for the upper shelf, always! Very Happy

DJ
--
Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have a feeling that MidiSport (which is M-Audio, right?) is one of those things that either work flawlessly or drive the users insane. I've had no problem whatsoever with mine, but I think I remember seeing a couple of posts here and on the Nord Modular mailing list about MidiSport being the worst piece of crap ever. May be my memory failing...

/Stefan

Louis Schubert

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:45 pm    Post subject:  MIDIator Lives
Subject description: The little black box that could.

After much moaning and groaning and gnashing of teeth, the MIDIator is now functional ("It's ALIVE! It's ALIVE!", Dr Frankenstein said... and I've been known to say the same thing about long forgotten items I have found in the back of my 'fridge).
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Windows as a music workstation
Jump to: