electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Kyma
New Users
Page 1 of 1 [25 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
bar|none

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:56 pm    Post subject: New Users
Subject description: New user's sound out
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Forgive me if there is already this section here but I didn't find one.

My pacarana just shipped today. wave < The first LFO.

So I guess this is a hello I'm going to be a new user post.

I plan on using the pacarana as a perfect compliment to my eurorack modular for effects and sound design.

I also do some programming of controllers such as Lemur and Monome so I can imagine I will want to build some interfaces with them to kyma.

I can't wait.

Here are some vids as an intro.

http://www.vimeo.com/user602401/videos
BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Chris (must be you?),

Looks like as good a place as any!

welcome to the club.

First step for lemur is to use Osculator, this allows sending of highres messages to the pacarana, but not the other way yet.

OSC will be supported sometime this year maybe!

Andy
driskel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Welcome and congrats. I am new as well (2 1/2 months).

Look at the Wacom Intuous 4 as a controller as well. I love it.
bar|none

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@BobTheDog
Hey Andy! Thought that was you.

Thanks guys. Can't wait to play with this little beasty.
bar|none

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Everything is running and damn it sounds good. You can easily get lost in the sound.

I did have one issue with Firewire drop outs , hangs and resets. I called Kyma support and sent them a debug file which confirmed this.

Moved the TC Konnekt's firewire connection from my monitors Firewire hub to the MacPRO directly and it solved the issue.

I'm a little curious if others use the TC Konnekt on the Mac and if they have any further tips. I'll need to play around a bit and see.
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yep got a Konnekt 48 here.

I have the Mac connected to the Pacarana via firewire 800 and the Mac connected to the Konnekt 48 by firewire 400.

I have the Konnekt 48 connected to a RME Fireface 800 via ADAT. The Fireface is the main Mac core audio device.

Make sure that the Konnekt drivers are not running on the Mac, I initially set up 3 sets of connection programs with the driver installed, when you un-install the driver these programs are remembered by the Konnekt 48 and can be switched using the remote.

This setup seems to work ok.

Always wait for the Konnekt to fully start up before turning on the Pacarana,

Plugging anything into a firewire port on the system causes the Pacarana and Konnekt to start playing up.
bar|none

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cool, yeah my setup is very similar with a MOTU 828 mk3 as the main interface connected to Konnekt 24D via S/PDIF and ADAT.

The driver tip is useful as yeah I need to choose the option to use ADAT for the optical and then uninstall the drivers.

All good tips, thanks.

I was kinda wondering whether it would be possible to plug the Konnekt 24D into the FW 800 port on the pacarana instead via 800->400 cable. Because it is using up the only firewire 400 port on the back of my MacPRO. Other option would be to buy a dedicated firewire card.
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yep that is possible, look at http://www.symbolicsound.com/cgi-bin/bin/view/Learn/SettingUpPacarana

When I first got mine i had problems connecting it that way bit I think they have sorted those out now so it should work.

It is very important not to have the drivers for the Konnekt running on the computer.

Cheers

Andy
bar|none

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Test track put together this morning in a 2 hour wake up session. One kyma sound from the library, sampled, sliced, sometimes reversed and some granular Kyma reverb. Used 7up live to play it all realtime into 2 track without edits. It's rough and repetitive but felt like I needed to make some sound with this baby.

http://experimentsinanalogchaos.com/audio/Pacarain.m4a
robsol
Stream Operator

Audio files: 495

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm a new Kyma user, a fair bit overwhelmed by it still and for a long time to come I suspect. Nevertheless, getting lost in the sound is exactly what happens to me and stop me from making quick progress - and I love it! Smile

I have been downloading various sounds and just playing with them, changing little things here and there and just having fun. The kyma language is easy to learn, it's just that there is so much of it!

bar|none

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey Rob..good to hear of another new user.

I hope to share some experiences and sounds along the way.
strategy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm a new Kyma user, I guess. I have early Capy320 system I'm buying from a friend, I believe I'm now the 3rd owner.

I'm familiar with Kyma though as my dad has been a user since '00 or so - he uses it in his home studio and was awarded a grant to get two for the university elec music lab he teaches in. I've used his system and love it, read the manual twice now, should be digging into this a lot the rest of this summer.

- Strategy

bar|none

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Awesome! More new users!
robsol
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Strategy! I would say welcome, but you have been here longer than me so I'll settle on wishing you the best on your journeys into the sounds of Kyma. Smile

I feel as if I'm back to the time when I bought my first synth and wondered why absolutely nothing happened when I turned the mysterious parameter 34 to its max value of 32...

I started borrowing books from the library and buying magazines and now have come full circle.

... well, apart from the buying magazines part.

robsol
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have had Kyma for more or less a month now, and I am still trying to penetrate the surface.

My impressions so far are very good indeed. I have been looking back at why I came to the decision to acquire this beautiful beast and thought I'd write some words about it.

Before I decided to spend my money and energy (and time!) I had a roller coaster ride through many different environments for sound design and tried many software programs. The main contenders were Audiomulch, Reaktor, Plogue Bidule and Tassman. These are all very beautiful programs, but they suffer from a common problem: they all have to run on my desktop, which is not so modern any more. Now, you could say that for the money you could get a very decent computer with lots of horsepower to run these programs effectively, but my problem is that I have not used computers much... Kyma offers an elegant way of bypassing the computer to just concentrate on the creation of sound. More or less at least. After having used a Paca for a few weeks, this still applies. I just start things up and they work. The computer is just the front end, the interface. I love the idea of this! Troubleshooting mostly applies to my knowledge of the environment itself, not any peripherals.

It is a functional language, streamlined for sound creation. Maybe it's not as visually pleasing as the other software that I have tried, but I consider this a great advantage. So much these days is a visual candy fest, but I come from a background of hardware, where sound is created in your mind and not in front of your eyes, so Kyma is more than adequate for my needs. Besides, it has more than enough tools should you need visual feedback.

My next point is a rather philosophical one. I found myself drawn to Kyma because it spoke to me in my language. "Kyma" means wave in Latin, a word that I love very much because of all the implications it has for me. Waves are one side of the duality of light, the soft nature of particles, the ephemeral building blocks of reality - - they are those beautiful moving shapes which you surf on in order to stay on top of things in life so you don't drown beneath them.

The poetic nature of Kyma (the sound design environment) does not stop there though; it is embedded in it, in a thoughtful way. Carla has been developing Kyma for a short lifetime, and it shows. There is an internal logic to it that is consistent, if a little unusual to the beginner. What I like about this logic is that it has a romantic, female side to it (and no German industrial connotations). This does matter to me, because I believe that science and engineering benefits greatly from being balanced between poetic beauty and technological efficiency. I am not talking about the user interface, but about the thought processes that went into the creation of it. I will be using Kyma for years to come, and consider this quite essential, as the vast amount of possibilities that Kyma covers is unexplored territory for me. I prefer to have a friendly computer onboard for this adventure.

Hmm, I have written so much and I haven't even come to the wonderful support, Carla's and Kurt's great knowledge in their fields, the actual sound design process itself, and most of all how fantastic it sounds!

I just thought I'd give a slightly different point of view on Kyma. Smile

seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Muied Lumens wrote:
"Kyma" means wave in Latin

excuse me Rob but that's Greek
(κύμα = wave)
Wink

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
robsol
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's all Greek to me. Embarassed
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It was a good post though and everyone knows the Romans nicked most things from the greeks Wink
bar|none

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, it was/is a good post. Life has been sidetracking me a lot from really digging in yet. I hope I feel the same way soon.
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bar|none wrote:
Yes, it was/is a good post. Life has been sidetracking me a lot from really digging in yet. I hope I feel the same way soon.

I know what you mean!
bphenix

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Paul! Glad to see you picked up a capy system.

Btw, very cool on the Units release. I had a great talk with David about the history leading up to the release at REJ's wedding.
robsol
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BobTheDog wrote:
bar|none wrote:

I know what you mean!

I hope I'll be making some progress soon! Embarassed

Loopy C

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice to find this forum and group Smile

Mine (Paca) should be here tomorrow or next day but will have a slight delay on the Apogee Duet for it, will check back when it's official Wink
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

welcome to the forum.
Loopy C

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BobTheDog wrote:
welcome to the forum.

Thank you Very Happy
Page 1 of 1 [25 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Kyma
Jump to: