electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Jürgen Haible designs
frequency shifter
Page 20 of 23 [574 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 Next
softfin

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

EDIT: Something messed up my post, so I'll have to rewrite it:

I incorporated basically all controls to my frequency shifter.
Being somewhat broke I used this box from an old air conditioner/control unit, which serves it purpose quite well. Perhaps it needs a new paint job, though. Laughing

Hope this photo helps a bit at least.

PICT0003.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  241.45 KB
 Viewed:  520 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

PICT0003.jpg

Last edited by softfin on Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Funky40

G2 patch files: 5

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

you messed here something up softfin Wink

thanks for posting the picture.
Hope to get some comments on the motm panels
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Funky40 wrote:
you messed here something up softfin Wink

With my unlimited moderator powers I accidentally messed up Softfin's message while trying to reply to it.

I'm sorry

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Funky40

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks for clarification mosc.
softfin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:

I'm sorry

No prob. Smile
Funky40

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello Jürgen,

I like to have the mic Gainstage, but i will use the FS-1A mostly with modularsynth signals.
how should i setup input1 to have both ? ( the aux input is preserved for the Feedbackpath. seems to be very useful ).
jhaible

Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Funky40 wrote:
Hello Jürgen,

I like to have the mic Gainstage, but i will use the FS-1A mostly with modularsynth signals.
how should i setup input1 to have both ? ( the aux input is preserved for the Feedbackpath. seems to be very useful ).

Add two 22k resistors between the input jack and the board input.
Compare http://www.jhaible.de/fs1a/jh_fs1a_schematics_board_2.pdf with the input of my old Frequency Shifter: http://www.jhaible.de/tonline_stuff/hjfs5_ia.gif and you get the idea.

The old one didn't have a Gain pot; it hat a 3-pole, 4-position rotary switch instead. In two of the four positions, the 22k resistors are in the circuit, like a "Pad" function in a mixing console. Of course you can combine that Pad function with a gain potentiometer, or just build the input circuit from the old FS-1.

Or you can omit the whole SSM Preamp and use the two pins (GND and middle pin) of the "Mic Level" board connector as a second High-Level input. Look at http://www.jhaible.de/fs1a/jh_fs1a_schematics_board_2.pdf - it's the same as the AUX input, after that connector!

JH.

"I tell you the truth, if anyone says to this mountain, 'Go, throw yourself into the sea,' and does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen, it will be done for him. Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours." (Mk 11,23f)
Funky40

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jhaible wrote:
Add two 22k resistors between the input jack and the board input.
JH.

ahh , i was not aware that this is "only" a Levelshift.
Thanks Jürgen
Funky40

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

In Feedback mode, which output is for Deep mode, sum or diff ?

( i like to have the FB switch matching with the Sum and diff outs )
jhaible

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Funky40 wrote:
In Feedback mode, which output is for Deep mode, sum or diff ?

( i like to have the FB switch matching with the Sum and diff outs )

Doesn't matter. Both change their function when the modulation oscillator runs backwards. And both sound interesting!

JH.

"I tell you the truth, if anyone says to this mountain, 'Go, throw yourself into the sea,' and does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen, it will be done for him. Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours." (Mk 11,23f)
Funky40

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sorry, the question was anyway put wrong. total confusion, but i got it:

1. i make SUM and Diff outs. I like to have the position of the switch matching with the sockets.
Which out relates to which position in normal ( positiv) mode ? Sum = up ?

2. Modcan has a Feedback output on his module.
would it make sense to make a Feedback output ? ( i'm now very short in space, but maybe i could manage it to plöace another socket )
jhaible

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Funky40 wrote:
sorry, the question was anyway put wrong. total confusion, but i got it:

1. i make SUM and Diff outs. I like to have the position of the switch matching with the sockets.
Which out relates to which position in normal ( positiv) mode ? Sum = up ?

2. Modcan has a Feedback output on his module.
would it make sense to make a Feedback output ? ( i'm now very short in space, but maybe i could manage it to plöace another socket )

Sum is *down* - when the Oscillator runs "forward", i.e. sin is sin and cos is cos.
Sum is *up* - when the Oscillator runs "backwards", i.e. sin is -sin and cos is still cos.

JH.

Funky40

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you Jürgen.
janvanvolt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

HELP!

My FS-1a is not working as expected. I could need some help ( or somebody in Europe i can ship my FS1a to debug/fix it).

Problem (when doing calibration):
Step1 works
Step2 fails.

Any ideas / testing helps ? I do got a dual Channel Oscilloscope as well as a Voltmeter (and of course soldering stuff) ?

Any help greatly appreciated!

Funky40

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

R9 on main Board:

is this 39K or 43K ?

on the PCB is written 43K.
on the overlay it is written 39K.
On the schematic 43K.

ok i guess 43K is right
jhaible

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Funky40 wrote:
R9 on main Board:

is this 39K or 43K ?

on the PCB is written 43K.
on the overlay it is written 39K.
On the schematic 43K.

ok i guess 43K is right

Right.

JH.

Funky40

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Trimmer R127,
I soldered it in reverse according to the layout,
can i leave it ?

( guess it just changes the direction in which to turn, right ? )
Funky40

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm allready in progress of wiring the module.
I have two Jacks for each output.
Usually i solder a bridge instead of the Outresistor to the PCB ( respectivly have to desolder the outresistor... Embarassed )
putting then the outresistors directly to the jacks.

I'm not shure what i should do on this Board.
As the outresistors are 620R, i thought i maybe just could add another outresistor with 330R to each outjack to decouple those.
Or would it be an Idea to replace the 620R with a 330R and then add the mentioned 330R per outjack ?
( this way i have no blank bridge, but i'm not shure if 330R is enough to decouple the dual-ouitjacks from each other )

and thanks for all the previous help.
jhaible

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You can switch the cw and ccw end of a trimmer, as long as you keep the middle pin where it belongs.

Output resistors: These are merely there to prevent the opamps from oscillation due to capacitive load. If you use short, *unshielded* wire from the board to the jacks, you can place 620R directly at each jack.

JH.

Funky40

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jhaible wrote:

If you use short, *unshielded* wire from the board to the jacks, you can place 620R directly at each jack.

JH.

I have 12cm wire. dual wire with ground going "around" the signal ( like a old telephone cable.
I kept the 620R on Board and added a 330R to each outjack.
Hope thats ok.
Thanks again Jürgen !
Funky40

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Beeing in "calibrationmode" allready:
( finished wiring yesterday )

Calibration step 1 was not good.
Turning R28 Osc Level Balance changes the Osc Level of both waveforms ( same levelshift ). One Wave has less level.
The one Waveform with less Level has a nice sine allready.
It seemed that later calibration did not changed anything to this sinewave.

I went thru till step5 then and found now out that U6( TL071 near Tempco) is becoming very Hot.
Too hot to keep a finger on it long.
Guess there's something wrong Embarassed

( i checked all IC Pins( sockets) with a Voltmeter before putting the ICs in, but doe to having Voltages on many Pins on board1,
i could not see if something is wrong.
It looked somewhat logic as some ICs were same as others )
( checked also the Board by Eye with a Halogenlamp )
jhaible

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Funky40 wrote:

I went thru till step5 then and found now out that U6( TL071 near Tempco) is becoming very Hot.

Definitely!

JH.

Funky40

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jhaible wrote:
Funky40 wrote:

Definitely!

JH.

ok, U6 had a TL 072 in there.
now it's the question how big the risk is that this caused other damage.

I checked all the ICs after putting them in btw. but Embarassed
i'll see...
jhaible

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Funky40 wrote:
jhaible wrote:
Funky40 wrote:

Definitely!

JH.

ok, U6 had a TL 072 in there.
now it's the question how big the risk is that this caused other damage.

I checked all the ICs after putting them in btw. but Embarassed
i'll see...

If supply voltages are still ok everywhere, it's likely that just hat single chip was damaged.

JH.

Funky40

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I went thru calibration inclouding step 5
At step 5 i got 3V out for the comp output. Trimmer is in endposition.

Not measured any Frequenzys, so i could have been aside.
( The calibratioon was also more meant to to be able to see if the module works. )

so far the 3V cmp-out seem to be the only Problem.
Page 20 of 23 [574 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Jürgen Haible designs
Jump to: