electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Patches - Experimental
A drone or 'tonal noodle'
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
davep

Audio files: 10
G2 patch files: 73

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 12:48 am    Post subject: A drone or 'tonal noodle' Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi all,

Here's a G2 patch based on some earlier NM1 patches. The idea is to create an automatic sorta-random tonal soundscape by first creating a slowly changing tone (crossfading various sources, then sending through parallel filters, then crossfading that again), then control the note volume with a random EG that retriggers when it reaches zero, and add some octave & fifth pitch jumps. Then press seven keys at once to set the voice pitches, & let it drone.

Try a few different chords, maybe a nice major chord. Better with larger intervals near the bottom, smaller intervals higher up. Remember - you gotta press all seven keys at once. NOTE - this patch requires an expanded G2.

The G2 allows more subtlety than the NM1 in the voice architecture, & of course the FX are a huge plus. More to come.

Dave Peck

Automatic5.pch2
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Automatic5.pch2
 Filesize:  7.49 KB
 Downloaded:  1639 Time(s)

mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I like this. It has a nice space music sound to it. The fact that you can interact with it by playing notes on the keyboard makes it more fun that just load and listen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
davep

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Howard,

I made a modifed version that I like a little better. I think the way that the pitch jumps to a new note while the note is sustaining is a little distracting. The new version has a S/H module after each of the pitch jump LFOs, and these are triggered by the pulse module that fires the EG. (The pitch jump LFOs are running at faster rates so they won't just send the same value to the S/H module for 40+ seconds). This way, you still get all of the variety of notes, but the pitch only changes with the start of each new note rather than jumping in the middle of a note.

Dave Peck

mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great, although I like the surprises of the note changes. You can post your new version in a reply to this post and that'll keep 'em together.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
davep

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 10:38 pm    Post subject: modified version Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's the modified version. Enjoy!

Automatic5a.pch2
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Automatic5a.pch2
 Filesize:  7.48 KB
 Downloaded:  1631 Time(s)

jamos

Audio files: 4
G2 patch files: 41

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh, man, that is gorgeous! How inspiring. Too bad it sucks down all the G2's power - but hey, maybe that's an excuse to buy another one ;')
davep

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

... I made some similar 'automatic' patches on the original NM a while ago. Your reply inspired me to load them up on the NM & layer them with this G2 drone. Oh yeah. I like this a lot. Cool

Something to think about - if you can find a used expanded NM, it's a great addition to the G2 for creating huge complex layers.

Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Patches - Experimental
Jump to: