electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
G2 USB COMMUNICATION DEATH! ONCE AGAIN!
Page 1 of 2 [27 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
gomidas

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 6

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:01 am    Post subject:  G2 USB COMMUNICATION DEATH! ONCE AGAIN!
Subject description: My second G2 Engine (exp)'s USB circuit has died! R.I.P.
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, the title say it all...

My second NM G2 Engine (I bought the two engines at the same time, so I beleive they are from the same serie) cannot communicate with Windows or Mac OS, in fact there is no signal at all, PLEASE DON'T GIVE ME ADVICES (manual OS update, drivers, different computers, I also did change the USB port), it seems that the problem is located on the Mainboard, because Clavia asked me 700€ for a complete mainboard replacement on my first broken Engine, so I beleive both of my engines are dead (USB Editor Only).
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hmm ... that's pretty sad ...
gomidas

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Clavia must admit it is a manufacturing problem, I should have a warranty extension for this... but this company did let me down so many times(buggy editor with no updates, no NM classic editor for Mac Intel, the coolest thing was the patch mutator, but it does not come from them)...I don't expect nothing from them anymore.Thanks Blue Hell for your support, I know I can always count on you, all the cool people on this forum, sadly I cannot say the same about the company.
jima

G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, sorry to hear that of course but before you go dumping on Clavia did it occur to you that maybe what you plugged them into caused the problem? It does not seem to be a common problem with the G2 from the posts here.

Jim
buzzr

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This scares me. I plan on having this instrument as my main axe for years to come...
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It scares me too, as there seems no particular pattern in why some break and others don't ... so next time it might just be me ... (keeping fingers crossed in cramp Shocked )
Tim Kleinert

Audio files: 7
G2 patch files: 236

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That Clavia replaced the whole mainboard doesn't have to mean anything at all.

Simply swapping main components is the common "lazy way" many manufacturers deal with such issues, especially after the particular model is out of production. This way, they can make a profit on the surplus components (like mainboards, panel boards, casings etc.) they still have lying around, and which wouldn't be of any use to them anymore anyway.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if nobody in the Clavia repair departement is really competent in debugging a digital electronic circuit, as this is an high art form in itself. The R&D guys most definetely will be, but they are busy designing the new Clavia C3 Combo Organ with built-in electric toothbrush and coffee machine (not a bad idea, come to think of it Laughing ...)

So, before giving up, I would try to track down a really competent tech who is experienced with digital computer electronics. Perhaps it's just the USB connection circuitry that is malfunctioning in some way. If the synth works flawlessly otherwise, I can't see what else it could be.

Debugging electronics is often time-consuming and therefore costly. But in this case, I would speculate that a competent tech can assess very quickly if it's the USB connectivity, which is a standard thing to repair.

Good luck Smile

cheers,
tim
gomidas

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jima wrote:
Well, sorry to hear that of course but before you go dumping on Clavia did it occur to you that maybe what you plugged them into caused the problem? It does not seem to be a common problem with the G2 from the posts here.

Jim
Could it be just because my G2s are older than yours?
Tim Kleinert

G2 patch files: 236

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

gomidas wrote:
jima wrote:

Jim

FWIW, my G2Xs have been with me for over 5 years and have seen alot of use, not only purely in terms of running hours, but also alot of gigging.
gomidas

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

tim wrote:
gomidas wrote:
jima wrote:

Jim

FWIW, my G2Xs have been with me for over 5 years and have seen alot of use, not only purely in terms of running hours, but also alot of gigging.

OK then.Thanks Tim!
dorremifasol

G2 patch files: 49

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Maybe the problem is in the computer where you have the G2 connected to. Bad USB design perhaps?
gomidas

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dorremifasol wrote:
Maybe the problem is in the computer where you have the G2 connected to. Bad USB design perhaps?

Do you mean my macbook pro or a usb hub could have burned the usb circuit on the two g2s?

Dear Jima, if you read the forum well you will see that I am not the only one who had this problem.
About Clavia...for what I know, they drop the Nord Modular to sell Organs, well, that's their choice, I don't care about them anymore.
buzzr

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Gomidas you have a valid argument. If Clavia cannot service their product at all now they are not a reputable company.

usb is as common as a doorknob...
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

buzzr wrote:
If Clavia cannot service their product at all now they are not a reputable company.

They can't?

cappy2112

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

gomidas wrote:
dorremifasol wrote:

Do you mean my macbook pro or a usb hub could have burned the usb circuit on the two g2s?

Dear Jima, if you read the forum well you will see that I am not the only one who had this problem.
About Clavia...for what I know, they drop the Nord Modular to sell Organs, well, that's their choice, I don't care about them anymore.

Have you trid your engines on other computers?
Some laptops, although usually not Mac's have cheap USB connectors on the motherboard. The fatc that both engines are used with 1 MAc does point to a possible common point of failure.

Also- try uninstalling/reinstalling the USB driver- after you've tried your engines on another computer.

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

cappy2112 wrote:
Have you trid your engines on other computers?

The first message in this thread answers your questions I think?

dasz

Audio files: 29
G2 patch files: 56

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

gomidas wrote:
tim wrote:
gomidas wrote:
jima wrote:

Jim

OK then.Thanks Tim!

I too have been running my 2 expanded G2's A LOT for a long time. No such issues here.

I really feel for you, since not only has this happened once, but twice.
/Dasz
buzzr

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Jan it looks like they sent him a motherboard for 700 quid. Now, the same thing happened again.

Is this correct?
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

buzzr wrote:
Jan it looks like they sent him a motherboard for 700 quid.

That is not how I understood the situation ... but I really should not be a middle man here.

There have been reports before of people loosing the USB port on the G2, this is a thing that happens from time to time. I have no idea what is causing this or if this should be a warranty issue or not. It's just that some seem to have bad luck, or in this case of having two broken synths a case of extremely bad luck.

As of yet I have not heard of situations where Clavia could not service a G2 with a broken USB port.

Anyway, I'd really like to know what causes the USB port to quit and if maybe it could be fixed by myself would it happen to me. In a past thread here about the subject someone spoke about a hardware fix applied by Clavia .. IIRC ...

gomidas

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The question now is what to do if nobody can repair this USB problem:
- Stay with two broken G2 @ home?...please Engine's users hear my advice make a complete MIDI CC assignement in case of...so you still can use your engine without editor.
- Change the Mainboard? Very silly because 700€ is the price of a brand new G2 Engine.
- Buy a brand new G2? I would prefer the G2 key then I could have edited the sound from the control panel.
buzzr

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I would send them to an authorized dealer in your country. They should be able to fix the problem no?
gomidas

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

buzzr wrote:
I would send them to an authorized dealer in your country. They should be able to fix the problem no?

That's what I did, but they could not do better than replace the Mainboard, it was too expensive for me at the time, but I can't stay with two broken G2 Engines expended in front of me all the time(2700€ in the Ass)...I might do the Mainboard replacement one day(700+700=1400€) Shocked BEFORE IT IS TOO LATE (production stoped) Question
jima

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

gomidas wrote:

Well, I have been reading this forum regularly for 3 years or so and the G2 historic posts in detail prior to purchasing - does that count?

If you read my post properly you will see that I do not say that it is not a problem but that it does not seem to be a common problem. The fact that you have had such a high level of issues would suggest that if nothing else it would be wise to consider the rest of the environment since if you do have a fault somewhere else your repaired or replaced G2's will also eventually fail if you don't identify and fix it.

As to what you feel about Clavia, I don't really care that you don't care about them either. There is something a bit juvenile about owners who become antagonistic because the manufacturer ceased to make their favourite 'baby' whether it's a synth, a car or a radio. I am sure that if G2's were selling well and were contributing good profits to Clavia it would still be a current product. We should just be thankful we have a G1 and G2 at all, don't you think?

Jim
gomidas

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jima wrote:
gomidas wrote:

Well, I have been reading this forum regularly for 3 years or so and the G2 historic posts in detail prior to purchasing - does that count?

If you read my post properly you will see that I do not say that it is not a problem but that it does not seem to be a common problem. The fact that you have had such a high level of issues would suggest that if nothing else it would be wise to consider the rest of the environment since if you do have a fault somewhere else your repaired or replaced G2's will also eventually fail if you don't identify and fix it.

As to what you feel about Clavia, I don't really care that you don't care about them either. There is something a bit juvenile about owners who become antagonistic because the manufacturer ceased to make their favourite 'baby' whether it's a synth, a car or a radio. I am sure that if G2's were selling well and were contributing good profits to Clavia it would still be a current product. We should just be thankful we have a G1 and G2 at all, don't you think?

Jim

...and I don't care, that you don't care that I don't care.Nah nah nah, nah nah nah
jima

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

gomidas wrote:
...and I don't care, that you don't care that I don't care. Nah nah nah, nah nah nah

OK, that just about says it all. Lead a horse to water and all that Smile

I do sincerely hope you get a resolution to your problems and don't just toast more main-boards out of short-sightedness.

Jim
Page 1 of 2 [27 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: