electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
Live streaming at radio.electro-music.com

host / artist show at your time
  Faux Pas Quartet and friends Music From Last Thursday
Please visit the chat
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Circuit Bending
Post Your Instruments!
Page 1 of 2 [44 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
JohnnyDaManiac

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:14 pm    Post subject:  Post Your Instruments!
Subject description: Here are mine.
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok here is my arsenal as of date!

Please leave some comments and post your instruments as well!

HPIM1915.JPG
 Description:
Guitar, Talking Teacher (Coleco), Talking Whiz Kid Plus (Vtech), Unbent Keyboard, Guitar Hero Mini Amp.
 Filesize:  2.75 MB
 Viewed:  205 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

HPIM1915.JPG

imaguitargod

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here are mine so far. More to come!!

Let me introduce you guys. Passow's Monster is ths black box with the mouth and googly eyes for knobs on the left. He's looking at "Fred" but leaning on "Nature Farts" (my newest creation....still needs to be painted). "Passow's Distort-a-board" is clearly marked as is "High on Speed" (in front of that is my EMF Pickup). There's my homemade amp with the speaker and a passive mixer in front of that.

alltoys.jpg
 Description:
Noise toys!
 Filesize:  231.95 KB
 Viewed:  13474 Time(s)

alltoys.jpg

Last edited by imaguitargod on Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
imaguitargod

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey Johnny. Am I seeing that right? You have the keyboard plugged into the little computer type thing?
JohnnyDaManiac

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

imaguitargod wrote:
Hey Johnny. Am I seeing that right? You have the keyboard plugged into the little computer type thing?

Yep. Basically I Have the speaker wired to the out jacks so the sound comes from the speaker as well as out of an amp (not in picture). The keyboard has a 1/4" and 1/8" output jack and a 1/8" input for a mic so when I plug the out put of the computer into the output of the keyboard and can use the other output of the keyboard to plug into an amp/speaker/computer etc.
badstatic

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey, I've got one of those vtech talking computers..... Very Happy

They're ACE..
JohnnyDaManiac

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yea there are. They have so much extra space inside to add all of the little things you want. If you want to see my newer projects I am posting in my own forum now. http://circuitbendingforum.proboards.com
electri-fire

Audio files: 4
G2 patch files: 4

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmmyeah.. not a lot of activity here, you're right about that. Then again it isn't very helpfull to withdraw and start your own forum. That would be diluting the resources even further. I wish you all the best with it though.

Lot of activity and vast amounts of bending info is on the Yahoo groups "benders" and "benders_anonymous"

Here's a demo of a breakout box I built:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SX59z7_gvc0
droffset

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Good stuff, I'll have to get some video together myself.
Your bend controller looks great electri-fire, gives me some ideas.

Edit: Spelling mistakes.
Lorenzo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here you have some photos:

(click)

Last edited by Lorenzo on Thu May 05, 2011 9:23 am; edited 1 time in total
stolenfat

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Heres some of mine

speakspell3.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  86.2 KB
 Viewed:  13084 Time(s)

speakspell3.jpg

SA-2 small.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  51.66 KB
 Viewed:  172 Time(s)

SA-2 small.jpg

buzzbox.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  151.15 KB
 Viewed:  175 Time(s)

buzzbox.jpg

keytar1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  169.54 KB
 Viewed:  175 Time(s)

keytar1.jpg

calamaphone.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  161.14 KB
 Viewed:  179 Time(s)

calamaphone.jpg

stolenfat

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

this one was never quite finished, but was a load of work... theres a thread on here about it some where

IMG_5133.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  670.04 KB
 Viewed:  173 Time(s)

IMG_5133.JPG

progress.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  309.21 KB
 Viewed:  179 Time(s)

progress.JPG

electri-fire

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

droffset wrote:
Your bend controller looks great electri-fire, gives me some ideas.

Thanks. The qwerty keys were a lucky find, very reliable. I bought some other old keyboards but unfortunately they containded the switchmatixes (matrici?) with two plastic sheets and printed traces you may have encountered (like on the Speak&***es).

Getting them in the box cost me a fair bit of time. It's made of a single block of thick multiplex hollowed out with exacto knife and a small chisel. On and off I spent a major part of 2007 and 2008 summer on it, as I do my woodwork and soldering outside.

How I got the joystick is a fun story. I found a discarded arcade machine by the side of the road, so immediately got the car to schlepp the entire thing home. When I got back there the former owner stepped out of the house and told me it still worked. Well, it didn't when I got home, and I've not been able to restore it. I still have the EPROM board, anyone interested can have it for free.

The joystick was a fourway, with a sturdy pole inside that clicked these microswitches like you can find in old taperecorders and such. I glued on four more microswitches in the corner so now it is an 8-way. It was too deep to fit inside the multiplex block, so I raised it with a 1cm thick piece of perspex. Found in a wastecontainer. You don't want to know the mess of stuff I have in my garage.

Unfortunately the joystick was built for heavy handling, and needs the bulk of the arcademachine to stay stable. It works when firmly holding the breakout box but gets tireing after prolonged use. Ah well, still looks way cool.
Anyway, for those who find more subtle joysticks I'll describe later how it's wired.

First I want to mention the two black pushbuttons on the front. Another nice bit of recycled material: they are 8-pole double throw switches from an old Philips HiFi. The left one has two options of 8 selected points (16 wires going to the DB25 !). The 8 selected bendpoints cross over to the right switch beneath the joystick, where yet 8 other points are connected to the DB25, so here you select either these or the points that were selected with the left switch. The final result is connected to the joystick.

Next (it's a long story) at the joystick the "north south west and east" microswitches are together on one common busswire, the microswitches on the corner switches are on another. A spdt switch connects these busses. The other spdt switch was supposed to take the center connection of a 12-pole rotary switch and connect it to the joystick buss, but in the end it is used to connect the joystick buss to ground.
Despite the vast amount of wiring inside I could still have implemented the 12-way rotary.
The wire I used comes from some telecom data transfer cables a friend gave me. Really thin. Some 48 wires take up about a 7mm circel as I recall. I have two of those cables, more than 10 meters long, I'm never going to use up those.
So if anyone wants some for free they can collect a couple of meters in Breda Netherlands Europe, or I can take it with me to Bloomingdale end of october.
This has been a labor of love. But love gets stale eventually, so I never implemented the 12-way rotary.

Parts bought: DB25 port 1x. spdt switch 2x. Rest: recycled stuff.

To stolenfat: I can so aknowledge you eventually get tired of a large project. Benders often have several objects with RAM/ROM bends. A user interface like yours could be housed in a seperate box and connected with DB25 ports (or even ports with more connections that now I do not know the name of now. I've seen huge ones). Then if you bend another device with loads of bends you can reuse the interface, especially with large double throw switces and rotary selectors to reconfigure.

Also, stolenfat , I noticed you appologising for the first mp3 you posted of your sk1 for it's not doing justice to its possibilities. I relate to that as well. It takes some time to get into the flow of playing/ selecting the optimal bends for your piece. The recording/ filming/editting of your performance is a hassle. While my youtube video is nice as a fast demo, at times this SK1 can be truly awsome. I can just hear the greatness in yours.

Patchbays are nice to interconnect multipel devices and for experimental purpose. For as a standalone device or live use there's nothing like momentary switches all connected on a singel buss. That is: one tag of a swich to a bend point, all other switchtags connected to a single wire. Any point can connect to any other. Connection of multiple points possible. Lightning fast.

Hoping you've enjoyed this elaborate build report and interface recommendation,

electri-fire salutes you.

Last edited by electri-fire on Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
electri-fire

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh eh.. stolenfat? That calamaphone has a guitar pickup on it? Interesting. Please elaborate...

Glorious... yea, that's the word. Glorious..
stolenfat

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yea it was a spare telecaster pick up i bought on ebay

its just like bending anything else, you just use the two ends and find a nice point that reacts well.

With this there a slight pitch warble as you run magnets across it. Plus if you put it next to an actual guitar you will here the notes you play affect the noises, which gave me an awesome idea to make a noise guitar but i never went through with it.

I recommend you experiment with them!

electri-fire

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:33 pm    Post subject: guitar pickup bending Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

stolenfat wrote:

With this [telecaster pickup] there a slight pitch warble as you run magnets across it. Plus if you put it next to an actual guitar you will here the notes you play affect the noises, which gave me an awesome idea to make a noise guitar but i never went through with it.

I recommend you experiment with them!

Cool! I should have an actual tele pickup lying about somewhere (replaced it for a Bill Lawrence) but I haven't seen it for ages.

As the pickup itself has magnets in them and normal guitar stings work you shouldn't have to use magnets. Any ferromagnetic should work. Maybe you could fix metal tines on the Calamaphone over the pickup like a kalimba.
Cut in half sawblades (those with holes at the ends to fix in a span handle)have a nice tone and are practical to fix with bolts.
Or for experimental porposes just a rubberband and a paperclip.
Come to think of it, most benders have lots of little speakers. They have a magnet and a coil as do guitar pickups and could be used as a pickup. Hey, you've inspired me to finish my sawblade kalimba soon. Now I don't have to look for my piezo I lost in the mess of parts.

Ideas, ideas, so little time.
droffset

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Stolenfat, what did you use to paint the orange keyboard?? It's coooool.
Yay, finally able to post pics. Included noisemakers because there aren't much bent instruments yet, heh.

Bent KE-5
NAND Photo Synth
WSG
Cheapo Keyboard turned into chimes.
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

Stuff waiting to be bent:

The brain of some cheap COB keyboard:

Edit: Spelling mistakes.
stolenfat

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sorry about the slow reply....

the paint job was EASY

took two colours of paint, orange and yellow and spray painted a small distance AT THE SAME TIME

this created those cool gradients, i just kept redoing it over and over till i liked it best.

suuuuper simple, great technique i use now all the time.

Blacklight

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This little guy is my favorite bend. I call it "Mr. Happynoise. It was one of those cheap inflatable AM/FM radios. It has a plug in power supply. A glove with a photo cell in the palm plugs into it so when you use the glove, it plays like a noisy theremin. You can also make all kinds of wierd glitchy sounds with it by touching the two big brass knob body contacts I put on it. When you switch the glove on, the station knob magically turns into a pitch knob so you can set an octave with it. The volume knob gets cut off when it's generating the theremin sound so I had to add a separate volume knob.
DerBAUM

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:46 pm    Post subject: "The Knartzimizer" Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here is my "Thing" i just finished today.This is my first bent ever, but i must say that electronics are not new for me.
I decided to give it a retro "Mooglike" touch.
The case was a Technics Organ. The "bentcontroller" (left in the c64 keyboard) comes out of an 70´s Farfisa Organ (Nicole de Luxe). The black knobs were taken from an old amplifier. The "HALT" button (reset > if may sweety hangs up) comes out of a late 70´s "Willi Wacker Spielautomat" together with the mainswitch-lock Smile
It is basically a Casio PT-82 (i choose it because i´m born in 1982 Wink).

All buttons and knobs have different functions, and you can mix everything with everything.
It feels like an ill analog synth, but makes lots of fun to play on/with.

SL373972.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  292.81 KB
 Viewed:  211 Time(s)

SL373972.JPG

Blacklight

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

*Looks in horror at the gutted C64 !!!* Very Happy

*Sob* That was my most favorite computer... EVER !!!!
DerBAUM

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Twisted Evil Cool
parts for Midibox SID Wink 16X

SL373942.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  238.8 KB
 Viewed:  167 Time(s)

SL373942.JPG

DerBAUM

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: "The Knartzimizer" Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DerBAUM wrote:
Here is my "Thing" i just finished today.This is my first bent ever, but i must say that electronics are not new for me.
I decided to give it a retro "Mooglike" touch.
The case was a Technics Organ. The "bentcontroller" (left in the c64 keyboard) comes out of an 70´s Farfisa Organ (Nicole de Luxe). The black knobs were taken from an old amplifier. The "HALT" button (reset > if may sweety hangs up) comes out of a late 70´s "Willi Wacker Spielautomat" together with the mainswitch-lock Smile
It is basically a Casio PT-82 (i choose it because i´m born in 1982 Wink).

All buttons and knobs have different functions, and you can mix everything with everything.
It feels like an ill analog synth, but makes lots of fun to play on/with.

Here are some videos ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfzaBKEGyYo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTxDND2vnW8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xo71ChsLQZg
JohnnyDaManiac

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

electri-fire wrote:
Hmmyeah.. not a lot of activity here, you're right about that. Then again it isn't very helpfull to withdraw and start your own forum. That would be diluting the resources even further. I wish you all the best with it though.

I don't mean by any means this forum is dead. There are many people devoted to posting their projects and others they find around the web. I plan to continue contributing to this forum as well as the forum I made.
Sam_Zen

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is the Sweep 2. One of my first attempts to make a synthesizer.
I build that with parts from broken tv sets and it has a light-sensitive resistor.

electri-fire

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sam_Zen wrote:
This is the Sweep 2. One of my first attempts to make a synthesizer.
I build that with parts from broken tv sets and it has a light-sensitive resistor.

That's very interesting. I met someone that built a modular synth from old tv-parts. Could you elaborate on what parts you used for what purpose?
Page 1 of 2 [44 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Circuit Bending
Jump to: