electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
RIP
Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Per

Audio files: 7
G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:40 pm    Post subject: RIP
Subject description: G2 The End
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

On the Clavia site, the G2 has now moved from present products to former products. So the company see it as history. It is sad news, and I found it after several hours of programming and composing in the G2, feeling as comfortable as ever using the machine. On the other hand, I have heard that the sale figures never reached what they did hope for.
Strange thing is that while real modules never been as hot as now, the G2 appears to be a non profitable product.
I has also noticed notice that Enchore http://www.encoreelectronics.com/ now is selling expansion boards for the G2. Maybe a last chance to get an expanded G2?
Per
Derek Cook

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi, just because something is discontinued, doesn't stop it from being obsolete.

Most of my synths are now ten+ years old and they sound fantasitc Smile

I'll always be with my Nord G2 for as long as it works.

www.echoes-music.co.uk
www.purefloyd.co.uk
www.carregddu.co.uk
www.xfactory-librarians.co.uk
www.ex5tech.com
buzzr

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yes, this is old news per. not profitable because most people who buy synths want something that sounds like a trumpet or a saxophone. i didn't say this, Dave Smith said this, one of the main people to invent the modern day synth. and yet, that doesn't stop him from making interesting synths.

i understand people wanting to spend thousands of dollars on a analog synth, they sound good. but they cannot do many things that a digital synth can do. and i don't like carrying around a huge analog synth, it's to much, my back would hurt, i'm old..

people are not interested in computer music right now. a big backlash, things will come around after this fad, when that is, not sure..

As you can see, i'm not very positive these days..
Derek Cook

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I actually just sold a Yamaha CS15 on Ebay that I've had since 1982 (my first synth) which I was only holding onto for sentimental reasons. But I only turned it on once or twice a year and, because it was black and knobby, it was a bugger to dust! Smile

It sold for £150 more than what I paid for it in 1982.

It amazed me that somebody would pay so much for it, especially when a good VA like an AN1x or Nord G2 can sound as good for the same price or cheaper, is programmable and far more flexible (and is easier to dust).

Digital synths can be heavy as well... Have you ever tried lugging a Yamaha EX5 about? Very Happy Shocked

www.echoes-music.co.uk
www.purefloyd.co.uk
www.carregddu.co.uk
www.ex5tech.com
iPassenger

Audio files: 5
G2 patch files: 78

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OOT: I sold my CS15 too not to long since, made a nice profit on it too, which is rarity in the music kit world. It is a funky synth but it was just spending its life in a flight case, it just seemed wrong so out it went.
Derek Cook

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

AIUI, it the CS15 is popular with the dance/trance community as it's good at the blips and whooshes that they like.

But I'm an old prog-rock fart, so can't really comment on that! What I can say is that the Nord G2 is great for that! Smile

www.echoes-music.co.uk
www.purefloyd.co.uk
www.carregddu.co.uk
www.ex5tech.com
dasz

Audio files: 29
G2 patch files: 56

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Derek Cook wrote:
AIUI, it the CS15 is popular with the dance/trance community as it's good at the blips and whooshes that they like.

But I'm an old prog-rock fart, so can't really comment on that! What I can say is that the Nord G2 is great for that! Smile

The Nord G2 is great for the trance/dance/electro community as it is also good at the blips and whooses and can be big and nasty, capable of insanely mental evolving grooves.

Smile
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So when do you guys reckon the G3 is due? According to the news on BBC Radio 4, Britain is now coming out of recession (I imagine that's why there is a delay from Clavia?). It makes no sense that Clavia won't release a successor to the G2- especially as they were also advertising for OS X programmers recently too.
IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
Derek Cook

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dasz wrote:
Derek Cook wrote:

The Nord G2 is great for the trance/dance/electro community as it is also good at the blips and whooses and can be big and nasty, capable of insanely mental evolving grooves.

Smile

I know Smile and my point was that I personally would have been looking at something more modern rather than a 30 year old mono synth (that doesn't have a moog type cult status). But I can only guess that CS15s are popular as you can apply the "vintage" tag when selling them! Smile

The Nord G2 is good at everything I throw at it.

www.echoes-music.co.uk
www.purefloyd.co.uk
www.carregddu.co.uk
www.ex5tech.com
dasz

Audio files: 29
G2 patch files: 56

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I hear you.

Yesterday I went to a studio that had 1 arp 2500, 1 arp 2600, 2 arp oddassys, a vcs3 and a synthi, a pro one, 4 shs101's, 2 ms20's, 2 chromas, 2 jupiter 8s, 2 808's, 1 606, 1 303, 1 juno 2 with a programmer, ... the list goes on

it was a neat feeling to see all this gear in one place, but I realized that the G2 fills so many synths for me.

I tried the sh101 and realized just how big the nord is next to it, albeit the filter in the sh101 was juicier.

Personally speaking, for me, it is nice to have very few synths (2 g2's, a x0xb0x, and a blofeld in my case) as I get to know and understand them well instead of having lots of synths all wanting some attention.

It is true that each different synth brings so much personality, but there is a tradeoff (the amount of synths and the space that a large studio needs, the amount of power, and the time to set things up and how much time is spent on setting or rewiring a studio vs using an playing it (the studio I went to had most synths disconnected from the mixer which made me somewhat sad).

And at the end of the day having a large collection gets expensive (depending on what one wants), and I like to balance things out in other parts of my life. but this is a personal thing.

whenever I get gearlust, I figure out what the gear lust is getting at and typically that is a desire for a particular sound, which I use as inspiration and which I produce in my G2 (or blofeld).

I recently saw the following pic (of a producer who is helping design plugins for waves)
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
Shocked

I hope my g2's will serve me for years to come. Smile
dorremifasol

Audio files: 7
G2 patch files: 49

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Those lamps....

I wouldn't like to be who cleans the dust in that room.

Derek Cook

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah, it's bad enough dusting my own much smaller toy room!

I'm with Dasz, to much gear can be counter productive.

I keep dreaming of new toys, but I keep reminding myself that I have no way exhausted the possibilities of my current rig. A G2 Engine along with the (in my view) Yamaha's golden era of SY77, EX5, AN1x and FS1R covers quite a lot of sonic bases! The DX7 should be in that list as well, but the SY77 and FS1R cover that for me.

www.echoes-music.co.uk
www.purefloyd.co.uk
www.carregddu.co.uk
www.ex5tech.com
Oli

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Having good gear can really help though.

I'm taking a bit of a trip down memory lane atm. I'm house sitting for my old music buddy. He has a Juno 106, a JoMoX XBase09, and Korg Monopoly in his closet (not literally, but they haven't been used for a while). I have to say, they are all really appealing, and huge amounts of fun. Apart from the Monopoly, they are also very quick to learn. Of course they don't have the complexity of modern digital systems, but they are very capable in their own ways, and can sound fantastic over a good range.

Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: