electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Add an Emu Proteus to Your Sound Arsenal for Cheap!
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [20 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Dan Lavin

Audio files: 21

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:55 pm    Post subject: Add an Emu Proteus to Your Sound Arsenal for Cheap!
Subject description: Easy DIY project adds lots of value for little cash
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ProteusCoverlessTopView.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  367.86 KB
 Viewed:  2650 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

ProteusCoverlessTopView.JPG

RF

Audio files: 28

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the 'heads-up'

bruce
deknow

G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i have a world, and my recolection is that it takes some time after powering up before it will make sound (like, minutes). i've assumed this is a ps issue, but have not looked at it.

deknow
Dan Lavin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Deknow,

Yeah, it should power up in like 5-10 seconds. 30 cents in capacitors may do the trick. The Proteus power supplies are notoriously suspect due to the capacitors. It seems the electrolytic cap industry has quality spills every 5-7 years. I recently fixed my Behringer A500 power amp and a friend's 1972 quad receiver due to failing electrolytic caps.

-Dan
CJ Miller

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
I wish to share some knowledge with the group on one of my favorite commercial midi synth modules: the original Emu Proteus modules.

I have done a lot of PCM bending in old samplers and drum machines. My main obsession with using these as real synthesizers is being able to put my own waveforms in there! My only real programmable synth with stored waveforms is an Ensoniq SQ80, which is a lot of fun. Rainer Buchty says that he was successfully replaced the stock wave data with his own. I haven't had the patience to look into how the data is arranged on the EPROMs. These old E-MU romplers would interest me if I could add my own ROMs! Anybody done this?

And don't forget that the Morpheus and Ultra Proteus offer their Z-plane filtering for tweak fun.
EdisonRex
Site Admin

Audio files: 172

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have a Morpheus, this is good info.

This whole thread makes me wonder if that's what is wrong with my Voce Micro-B, which stopped making sounds last year. It uses a wall wart transformer, but that still gave voltage; I wonder if cap death is the issue there too.

Home,My Studio,and another view
Dan Lavin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

E Rex,

I brought back a Voce Micro-B from death a couple years ago, but I don't remember what I did. It was not a cap, but fortunately that module uses thru-hole components. I do remember lots of logic probing...probably was a standard logic chip.

On a humorous note, I spent a few hours trying to eliminate the key release click before I found out it was intentional! I'd always heard of key click, but only on attack. I didn't know Hammonds were notorious for the noise after release. It reminded me of a VCA thump that needs to be trimmed out.

-Dan
norman phay

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The related E-mu "Procussion" module is an interseting piece too, that can be had vv cheaply.

I do like my Proteus 2000 modules, though not as cheap as the orig series ones, they can be a pretty good deal. The power supplies on these can go I believe, one of mine has been replaced.

Morpheus, Ultra-Proteus and the original Vintage Keys and Vintage Keys plus are interesting & fun little boxes as well.

If someone did a DIY version of the 32Mb flash rom card for the Proteus 2000, that would be awesome. I would buy, like, several of them.
EdisonRex
Site Admin

Audio files: 172

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Norman Phay wrote:
The related E-mu "Procussion" module is an interseting piece too, that can be had vv cheaply.

I do like my Proteus 2000 modules, though not as cheap as the orig series ones, they can be a pretty good deal. The power supplies on these can go I believe, one of mine has been replaced.

Morpheus, Ultra-Proteus and the original Vintage Keys and Vintage Keys plus are interesting & fun little boxes as well.

If someone did a DIY version of the 32Mb flash rom card for the Proteus 2000, that would be awesome. I would buy, like, several of them.

Funny, I have a procussion too. Surprisingly both the procussion and the morpheus I bought new in the 90s and they are both still in the rack. I do get tired of the procussion's drums sometimes though.

But I agree, those emus are great cheap sounds.

Home,My Studio,and another view
Peake

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The Alesis "Nano" line might also be a good, cheap source for bending. I'd be particularly interested in any bent sounds coming from them!
myrmidon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmm, I just got an Emu Proteus/2 with a power supply problem. It made the 'click-click-click' noise when switched on. I opened it up and tested the output and found the 5v circuit to be working fine (consistent 4.7v output on the multimeter) but the +12v and -12v circuits are not working. (There is a minor 'spike' on the multimeter that coincides with the 'click' from the power supply.)

I replaced all the capacitors (C8, C19,C20,C21,C22 - as described in Robert Patterson's page) but still had the same problem.

I then replaced the 2 large 1000uf capacitors, but still have the problem (5v is fine, +12v and -12v are not working with the 'click click click' sound.

Does anyone have any other ideas?
Dave Kendall

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

+1 on the Morpheus being useful. (phasey/chorusey atmos pads for me mostly) Some fantastic, and some not so useful filters in there...

32 voice poly is a limitation for stacking and layering in Hyperpreset mode tho...
Proteus 2000 scores in that regard. 128 notes...

cheers,
Dave

Dan Lavin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Myrmidon,
If you can't fix the power supply, I'd suggest a replacement. The first Proteus I fixed was done that way until I read the article about replacing the power supply caps. I think I bought it from Jameco for about $30..and there are cheaper places than Jameco. That may be a lot to throw into a Proteus, but those /2's still get decent money on ebay should you decide to sell it. It's a $30 well invested.
SineSurfer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh, nice thread!, maybe you can help me with my Proteus 1 weird bug?

It powers up just fine and all works ok for like 10 minutes, then it stops responding to midi, midi led activity still flashes though Sad

btw. the demo song runs just fine.

thanks a lot for any tip Wink

DON TAYLOR

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:04 pm    Post subject: PROTEUS 2/XR
Subject description: JUST BOUGHT ONE OFF EBAY

Very Happy Hi, I'm glad I came across hour article. Kindly point me to where i can find more pics & ads as they appeared in 1990 when i would salavate everytime I'd pass the EMU display inside of ACE MUSIC in miami.
I can't wait to get this !!! can u tell I'm Xcited ??
I plan to midi & layer this using my hopefully resurrected Roland S-50 or else my Korg I4S-then trigger a Yamaha MU-128 & Roland SC-55. Ah yes all oldies but goodies-most of all THEY ARE ALL "P.I.F.s" That's paid in full. Smile
I've got so much to learn about this baby--I feel like I'm going back to the Future of 1990.
Never, i mean, NEVER think older equipment in UNinteresting or people don't want or need the info. To me all the new equipment is priced wayyyyy out of line. Especially for us Baby-boomers w/ homes, families, & a recession to cope with.
Thanks for reading me. 1 more thing if i may add--I've been out of the biz-for over 4 years. I miss performing, not the a-holes who bust chops if STARDUST was too fast; or IN THE MOOD was too loud or my Led Zep was way out there.

Now, I'm rebuilding my studio, got a Tascam2488neo in july-it's still in the box waiting for the CLEAN studio. I'm on myspace if anyone wants a laugh at my 1999 music CD:
http://www.myspace.com/dontaylorjr
Thanks again for your time and especially for all the great information.
Regards, Don
rockmanrock

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My first post here, bumping an old thread Very Happy

I've just had my Proteus apart, ready to do the PSU caps. I replaced C8 - that was 47uF and the replacement was the same (decent 105 deg part). The other caps mentioned are different values to what the OP had. In mine I have the following:

c19,20 1000u-M 16v (not sure what the 1000u-M means? is it 1000u?)

c21,22 100u 50v

I'm no electronics expert but I thought replacing these with 47u might not be a good idea, so I soldered the one I'd removed back in and put it all back together. When I looked at the big photo above I noticed that PSU board looks connected to the main board via soldered in ribbon cables, mine has a couple of molex connectors on it. Maybe I've got a later version of the PSU which isn't as susceptible to failure. It does get warm though.

I'd also been planning to replace the lithium battery with a CR123A holder but the one I've got doesn't fit, the legs are wider apart than the holes on the PCB so I gave that a miss. When the time comes I'll solder a battery in.
DON TAYLOR

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 7:32 am    Post subject: ADDING A Proteus
Subject description: A MAY 4, 2010 UPDATE

hI GROUP,
Belated HAPPY NEW YEARS--LOL
I'M SO VERY GLAD THAT SOMEONE WROTE ANOTHER THREAD TO THIS SUBJECT BECAUSE I HAD lost (damn cap button, i'm sorry).
I had lost your URL.
Well since my Dec note to you all, I've been fortunate to survived 2 hospital stays and come across:
a Proteus 2/XR; Proteus 1/XR & when I wasn't satisfied w/ the what they all had I was blessed w/ a bouncing baby-girl:
PROTEUS 2000 in perfect working order and no traces of use.
I have my modest setup on facebook if anyone is in the least bit curious.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2045099&id=1168741575&l=4850976003
i'LL SAVE THIS page FOR safe keeping.
Take care, Don
Dan Lavin

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Rockman: It's OK to replace C19 thru C22, but do not change the values. You need both the same uF and voltage ratings. Disregard the "M".

Don: wild year for you. Keep an eye out for the Protologic versions of the Proteus 1 in either standard or XR versions. They contain a bunch of new waveforms that really round out the Proteus 1 sound pallet. Yes, the Proteus 2/XR is the best in my opinion, but that's my formal music education speaking. Keep an eye out also for the rarer 3 "World" module as well. Not as useful for what I do, but it does have some nice sounds.

rockmanrock

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dan Lavin wrote:
Rockman: It's OK to replace C19 thru C22, but do not change the values. You need both the same uF and voltage ratings. Disregard the "M".

Thanks Dan, I'll do that.
hway23

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

the proteus vx vsti is free.

Also, if you are looking to buy used modules on the cheap try the used section of guitar center http://used.guitarcenter.com/usedGear/index.cfm Anything that is not a guitar seems to get overlooked on that site Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [20 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: