electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Klee sequencer
A new kind of Klee...
Page 1 of 3 [55 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
dnigrin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:38 pm    Post subject: A new kind of Klee... Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

... more details soon!

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

Inventor
Stream Operator

Audio files: 267

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dang Dan, that looks great! You've done a great job! That kicks my software Klee in the ass!

Les

fadeddata

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Looks really nice...but please don't use GUI knobs...
dnigrin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Inventor wrote:
Dang Dan, that looks great! You've done a great job! That kicks my software Klee in the ass!

Thanks Les! I really appreciated your attempts to help me get your ChucK version going, but I was never able to figure it out. Honestly though, I didn't spend too much time on debugging it, as I was too busy building what you see above!

Best,
Dan

dnigrin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

fadeddata wrote:
Looks really nice...but please don't use GUI knobs...

You mean like this?
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
Don't worry - I was tempted, but I realized that if I were to put in graphical knobs like that, I'd need to make the rest of the UI sexier, and my graphics skills are not up to the task. So i stuck with a more minimal UI....

Dan

dnigrin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OK, more info as promised, so I can stop replying individually to people!

This is a cross-platform (Mac and Windows -- sorry, no Linux) software Klee. It was created with the input and testing of several Klee "veterans", including Scott Stites himself, Mosc, State Machine, Uncle Krunkus and EdisonRex. It includes virtually all major functions from the hardware Klee, and adds many new ones:

• MIDI output to any hardware or software synth
• Internal or MIDI clock
• 10 preset slots for instant recall of parameters
• Presets can be saved to and loaded from disk
• Built-in clock divide capability
• Synchronous load - loading of pattern happens on clock pulses, and not in between
• Load on Play feature to allow for loading of pattern each time clock started
• MIDI-controllable baseline note
• Custom definable note range allows for alternative scales

It should be available within the next few weeks hopefully. And although I can't make EM09 next week, others who are attending will be able to demonstrate it, if it's not available publicly by that time...

Dan

EdisonRex
Site Admin

Audio files: 172

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I will have it on my laptop if anybody wants a go at it.

Home,My Studio,and another view
BirdFLU

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Two more questions:

1. Price?

2. Minimum system requirements for Mac and PC?

Looks awesome!!
dnigrin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BirdFLU wrote:
Two more questions:

1. Price?

2. Minimum system requirements for Mac and PC?

Looks awesome!!

Thanks BirdFLU -

1. Free for demo version. Demo is fully functional except cannot use presets, and times out after 20 minutes. Full version will be $40 USD, PayPal only. 15% of all net proceeds will go back to electro-music.com to support the site!!

2. System Requirements:

Macintosh
• Mac OS X 10.4.9 or greater, intel or ppc
• Mac OS X 10.5.x, intel or ppc
• Mac OS X 10.6.x, intel (not tested yet, but don't anticipate any problems)

Windows
• Windows XP SP2
• Windows Vista (32-bit edition)
• Windows 7 (not tested yet, but don't anticipate any problems)

BirdFLU

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for including PPC Macs!
jonkull

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is awesome. Will it work with Silent Way/Volta for those of us that only use CV?
wmonk

Audio files: 15

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dnigrin wrote:
This is a cross-platform (Mac and Windows -- sorry, no Linux) software Klee.

Sad Why not Linux? ALSA Midi problems? I like the idea of a software Klee. Looks like a very nice piece of software! Keep on goin'!
Luka

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

so how does it interface with vsts or outboard gear?
http://www.last.fm/user/prblmchild
Adam-V

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Brilliant!

Is it possible to run more than one instance at a time?

Cheers,
Adam-V

numbertalk

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So you'll post the info here on how and where to get this when it's ready? Will updates be free? Very exciting to have found this!
dnigrin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jonkull wrote:
This is awesome. Will it work with Silent Way/Volta for those of us that only use CV?

There's no reason that it shouldn't, though I haven't tested it (I don't have the right kind of audio interface). All you'd need to do is use a plugin host application with Silent Way/Volta, and then use the IAC MIDI Bus (Mac) or MIDI Loopback or similar (Win) to get the MIDI output from the Klee app to your plugin host.

dnigrin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

wmonk wrote:
dnigrin wrote:
This is a cross-platform (Mac and Windows -- sorry, no Linux) software Klee.

Sad Why not Linux? ALSA Midi problems? I like the idea of a software Klee. Looks like a very nice piece of software! Keep on goin'!

The software is written using Max/MSP, which has no Linux port currently. I suppose I could eventually explore re-doing it in Pd.... not sure how feasible it would be though.

dnigrin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Luka wrote:
so how does it interface with vsts or outboard gear?

For outboard gear, you just point the MIDI outputs of the app to your desired MIDI interface/channel.

For plugins, you need to have a host application to load your plugins into; then you just route the MIDI output from the Klee application to that host application (as I mentioned above, using the IAC MIDI Bus on the Mac, or a MIDI loopback application on Windows).

Eventually, I do plan to have on-board VST hosting, so you could just load your VST instruments right within the application. But for now, you'll have to use another app to host them.

dnigrin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Adam-V wrote:
Is it possible to run more than one instance at a time?

I tested this briefly tonight, and it worked fine with at least two instances. I'll try to remember to include instructions on how to do it in the documentation.

Note that if you want to do a trick like with multiple hardware Klee's, where you essentially "chain" them together to have a 32 step sequence -- you *can't* do that with multiple instances of the software Klee I'm afraid.

But you can run multiple distinct instances, and have them run alongside each other (even works fine to have them clocked by the same MIDI clock source, so they stay in sync).

dnigrin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

numbertalk wrote:
So you'll post the info here on how and where to get this when it's ready? Will updates be free? Very exciting to have found this!

Yes, I'll post on the Klee forum here (and other places too) when it's ready.

Re: updates, I make no guarantees about free updates, but most people who've bought my other software before know that in general I am very generous about free or very cheap updates.

dnigrin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I took a break from working on the documentation, to throw together this brief demo of the software Klee in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-McwiYe8rU

I'm just playing around (as one *should* do on the Klee!), and showing some of its unique features, including custom note range for the dials/pots, as well as the presets, synchronous load, etc... Would love to hear feedback!

Dan

numbertalk

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sorry if I missed this but will this be strictly stand-alone? If not will it be AU compatible - will I be able to use it with Logic?
dnigrin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

numbertalk wrote:
Sorry if I missed this but will this be strictly stand-alone? If not will it be AU compatible - will I be able to use it with Logic?

At the outset, it will be standalone only - though integrated it with Logic or any other DAW is not difficult at all, you just route the MIDI signals from the Klee to your DAW (and your DAW can send MIDI clock to the Klee to keep it in sync).

At some point in the future, I may consider making a plugin out of it - I'll have to see what the demand is for it. MIDI-generating plugins in DAW hosts usually tend to be a pain!

Dan

numbertalk

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks. Eagerly awaiting the demo.

dnigrin wrote:
numbertalk wrote:

At the outset, it will be standalone only - though integrated it with Logic or any other DAW is not difficult at all, you just route the MIDI signals from the Klee to your DAW (and your DAW can send MIDI clock to the Klee to keep it in sync).

At some point in the future, I may consider making a plugin out of it - I'll have to see what the demand is for it. MIDI-generating plugins in DAW hosts usually tend to be a pain!

Dan
dnigrin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

numbertalk wrote:
Thanks. Eagerly awaiting the demo.

Hopefully not too much longer now (1-2 weeks tops I would imagine) - finishing up the documentation, assembling final builds of code, packaging up into installers, finishing web site. All the drudgery-but-necessary type stuff!

Page 1 of 3 [55 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Klee sequencer
Jump to: