electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
ASM-2
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [24 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Skrog Productions

Audio files: 155

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:02 pm    Post subject: ASM-2
Subject description: construction time again........
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

nearly there with the resistors & diodes, i've bought connectors for wiring properly instead of my usual crows nest of wires Smile , decided to go banana for patching with a few converters to 1/4 inch, i also got yusynth saw animator pcb from Bride Chamber to add to the final design, not sure whether to add ken stones sub osc pcb as well .

very good quality pcb from elby & Bride Chamber, good stuff.

asm-2.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  108.05 KB
 Viewed:  567 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

asm-2.JPG

saw an 1.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  99.84 KB
 Viewed:  490 Time(s)

saw an 1.JPG

Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Almost finished the front panel design for my ASM-2, a few things still to add, gonna start on some vero board lfo's some time & the 2 extra adsr's & the 2 saw animator board, i think i've got it all covered with this semi-modular design & bannana jacks, i hope Smile

ASM-2 skrogproductions invert a.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  486.97 KB
 Viewed:  803 Time(s)

ASM-2  skrogproductions  invert a.JPG

fonik

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

huge project and nice layout. i am curious to see more pictures soon.
crochambeau

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What are your front panel dimensions? I've got mine drafted out to fit 14u of standard rack space, yours looks much smaller than that. Nice work!

I'll post pics to this thread once I get the metal cut, the PCB itself is 97% stuffed. I've been nibbling away at this project for about a year now Embarassed
Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

fonik wrote:
huge project and nice layout. i am curious to see more pictures soon.

Thanks Matthias, took a few weekends to plan this one, i'm building a seperate power board to supply the asm & extras, i have made the box with iec fused socket to house it and have a torroidal Xfrmr ready to go in.
I'll add more pics as i go.
Cheers
Dave W
Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

crochambeau wrote:
What are your front panel dimensions? I've got mine drafted out to fit 14u of standard rack space, yours looks much smaller than that. Nice work!

I'll post pics to this thread once I get the metal cut, the PCB itself is 97% stuffed. I've been nibbling away at this project for about a year now Embarassed

Hi crochambeau, 3mm alum panel is 590mm X 300mm, a guilloteened off cut from my local engineers workshop with clean cut edges from using hydraulic cutter machine.
The design above will be lasered to vinyl sticker when finished, i thought i may have had room to fit a few lunetta circuits but i'm out of space already.
i would love to see pics of your asm, Uncle K's beast is amazing with the veneer effect.
analoguebus

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: ASM-2
Subject description: construction time again........

Skrog Productions wrote:
nearly there with the resistors & diodes, i've bought connectors for wiring properly instead of my usual crows nest of wires Smile , decided to go banana for patching with a few converters to 1/4 inch, i also got yusynth saw animator pcb from Bride Chamber to add to the final design, not sure whether to add ken stones sub osc pcb as well .

very good quality pcb from elby & Bride Chamber, good stuff.

Yeah I have been working on an ASM-2 for a bit also but I keep moving to other projects and getting distracted. I need to just sit down and finish it. Mine is also banana. It took Elby and I a bit to figure out a way to get the banana jacks to fit in the pre-drilled holes. Finally a combination of washers and nuts worked out. And quality wise yes Elbys stuff is fantastic. It is almost over engineered. I love it. He has kept me supplied with quite a bit of stuff. I am working on a Sound Lab Ultimate also that he was able to get me the parts for.
Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

had some spare time recently to do a little more to the ASM 2, hoping to get finished before Xmas holidays, i'd better get a complimentary hamper from Rapid electronics for christmas for all the orders put in over the last few months Smile Smile he he he.

pcb.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  303.2 KB
 Viewed:  601 Time(s)

pcb.JPG

panel.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  314.67 KB
 Viewed:  641 Time(s)

panel.JPG

gwaidan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow, that's beautiful! I've got a board that's been complete for about a year but I've kept getting distracted by my Euro system, and that last step of the panel design and case has been a daunting one. I feel motivated again after seeing that...
Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Embarassed thanx , dark orange vinyl caught my eye at the print shop, working on the wiring & crimp connectors next few nights , hopefully have tone's emmiting from it in a fortnight.

round back.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  212.78 KB
 Viewed:  536 Time(s)

round back.JPG

1 more switch to add.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  378.96 KB
 Viewed:  559 Time(s)

1 more switch to add.JPG

Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dual Power supply done now, getting +/- 11.98V and +/- 14.97V, happy with that.
I also used alum mounting bar chopped into 4 bits for some healthy heat sinks for the 12V & 15V reg's.
50VA 2x 25v/0v torroidal for asm / saw animators / extra adsr's / extra lfo's & pre-mixers as well as side of cabinet dual supplys for further modular expansion Very Happy .
I seem to have an abundance of mylar capacitors , so i used some for the smoothing, also kept the smoothing caps on the asm as well as big caps on the vero power board.
ASM holds well with a "no chip" power up test, fingers crossed the luck keeps going Surprised he he he.

Oh yes, plastic shroud still to be fitted over mains socket & conections heat shrinked, safety first Shocked

power.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  134.58 KB
 Viewed:  448 Time(s)

power.JPG

power2.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  86.14 KB
 Viewed:  475 Time(s)

power2.JPG

Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nearly finished the wiring, then it's time for test & calibration and hopefully celebration , error dependant of course.

I've been getting home from work and resisting the lure of the couch to wire it up, probably annoying neighbors using a cordless drill to twist wire looms at nights , Smile .

must tidy those wires with some zip ties.

ASM-2 wire up 1.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  151.85 KB
 Viewed:  538 Time(s)

ASM-2 wire up 1.JPG

ASM-2 wire up 2.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  116.21 KB
 Viewed:  483 Time(s)

ASM-2 wire up 2.JPG

Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:10 am    Post subject: ASM..2 "it's very, very musical"
Subject description: ASM-2 is making sounds

Worth the wait to get this synth up and running, i'm really impressed with the sounds and tones available on the ASM-2, adding 2 saw animators (thanks Yves & Bridechamber !) has ehanced the sound even further.
I have allready had some new ideas for new tracks for ORCHARD & EPICYCLUS within an hour of trying it out after finishing building, fantastic.

When building the asm, i found it best to refer to the genie / wizard / asm manual & various wiring options pdf doc's, to get a more rounded instruction on the build , referencing between all these doc's helped me with a few hiccups and stumbles when constructing.

Here below is a selection of sounds from my ASM-2 finished build all sounds are free of FX , just the synth apart from "major force" it has a little verb on it, a little bit of the 1979 album influence to it, ha ha ha .

please don't fall off your chair when you hear it Laughing

asm finished.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  149.82 KB
 Viewed:  494 Time(s)

asm finished.JPG

major force!.mp3
 Description:
Asm overdubbed with a little verb on lead line

Download
 Filename:  major force!.mp3
 Filesize:  1.17 MB
 Downloaded:  1301 Time(s)

arpegeyooh.mp3
 Description:
arpeggio asm.... 2 osc's 2 vcf's 2vca's

Download
 Filename:  arpegeyooh.mp3
 Filesize:  616.54 KB
 Downloaded:  1262 Time(s)

fizzy bass.mp3
 Description:
asm & saw animators bass riff

Download
 Filename:  fizzy bass.mp3
 Filesize:  351.44 KB
 Downloaded:  1194 Time(s)

switches & dials.mp3
 Description:
asm exploration

Download
 Filename:  switches & dials.mp3
 Filesize:  800.2 KB
 Downloaded:  1275 Time(s)

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: ASM..2 "it's very, very musical"
Subject description: ASM-2 is making sounds

Skrog Productions wrote:
please don't fall off your chair when you hear it Laughing

ok ... but it sounds like a good job!

Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Jan , the synth is going to get a good workout on the Newyear event, it's debut apperance with Epicyclus Very Happy a reasonably trouble free build from pcb & special component kit from Elby designs , sourced the rest of the components from uk outlets.
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Looking forward to that Dave!
Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Going to be a good event Jan Very Happy .

couple more sounds from the ASM-2

bass line.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  bass line.mp3
 Filesize:  403.56 KB
 Downloaded:  1240 Time(s)

modulation madness.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  modulation madness.mp3
 Filesize:  808.75 KB
 Downloaded:  1243 Time(s)

State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ABSOLUTLY IMPRESSIVE WORK DAVE !! I love the RED panel to. Thats one BIG build ... I really look forward to your forthcoming records using this synthesizer.

I have been meaning to come over here and take another peek at your progress ............ it was worth the visit ... Wink

Bill
Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey Bill, Cheers , Thanks for having a look & listen, this was constructed while listening to a lot of electro-music radio shows (even if i was not active in chat, busy with a hot iron Very Happy ).

Seems a few folks hearing the very rough "Tangerine dream - force majeure "melody + sequence mp3 , it was the first thing that was in my head when testing the synth , ha ha, fun on the keyboard.

Next project to appear in the Klee forum area..........
Deep thought as to how the panel layout will end up with these sequencer boards....Hmmm.......

Klee he he for me.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  72.45 KB
 Viewed:  26420 Time(s)

Klee he he  for me.JPG

State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Next project to appear in the Klee forum area..........
Deep thought as to how the panel layout will end up with these sequencer boards....Hmmm.......

Well that is great AND I tell you, there are so many cool examples of panels ..... your head will go DIZZY Rolling Eyes Have fun with it ..... Your a seasoned pro so I probably don't have to tell you BUT those "many" cables are a frekin chore dude !!! I enjoy plopping chips and components down onto the boards and listening to music ,... thats my relaxation.

On the further subject of panels ... my first panel was custom designed by myself and the second one I have waiting in the shadows is one of those cool circular designs by Bridechamber. Reasonable price to at about $100 USD.

Bill
Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It does not seem like 15 years ago starting my first electronic music kit.... the Maplin electronics Voice Vandal... and a filter circuit from "The Mix" magazine diy series . Im far from seasoned pro... seasoned with herbs maybe Laughing Very Happy he he.

I think i'll have to go with my own panel for the klee , 300mm X 250mm space available in the big modular case, handily available by future rebuilding of my soundlab+ into mega soundlab (under design) Very Happy Very Happy
LektroiD

Audio files: 2
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think I'm going to have a go at one of these babies after I've finished the Soundlab Ultimate
Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

LektroiD wrote:
I think I'm going to have a go at one of these babies after I've finished the Soundlab Ultimate

Hi hows it going ?.
are you getting a pcb with the good exchange rate just now or are you vero boarding the synth ?????.

Did you get sorted out ok for panel material for the soundlab ??

Dave
LektroiD

Audio files: 2
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Skrog Productions wrote:
LektroiD wrote:

Hi hows it going ?.
are you getting a pcb with the good exchange rate just now or are you vero boarding the synth ?????.

Did you get sorted out ok for panel material for the soundlab ??

Dave

Hi Dave,

I think I'll buy the PCB, a lot less headache at very little cost. that said, I have a Soundlab ultimate to build first. Speaking of which, my stripboard soundlab ended up in a plastic maplin case. I have the aluminium cut for my modular panels, but have no idea how to print onto it.

This is how my stripboard soundlab ended up:
http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-32826.html

Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [24 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: