electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
Live streaming at radio.electro-music.com

host / artist show at your time
  Faux Pas Quartet and friends Music From Last Thursday
Please visit the chat
 Forum index » electro-music.com » Help
Need advice on where to start.
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Snugtrition

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:31 pm    Post subject: Need advice on where to start. Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm completely new to making music. I play instruments like the piano and guitar and all, but I've never made my own tunes before. It's tricky enough making music with the traditional music sheets and all, but I want to make electronic music.

Right now I've got 2 things for this work. My software - FL Studio 9 and my Hardware - YamahaDGX505.

FL Studio pretty much just fried my brain when I tried to work it out on my own. It's been two days now and I've spent about 6 hours on it experimenting. It was only by chance that my keyboard happened to function as a midi keyboard as well, usually I just use it to play the piano in general.

What I've gotten done so far is pretty much sticking different sounds into one pattern, fiddling with the piano roll, and recording choppy stuff with my keyboard connected. So basically I haven't found any leads as to how I can start making music =( A bit discouraging, but I have nothing else to do so I'm going to keep at it lol.

But... I would seriously appreciate it if someone could take the time to show me where I should start, or if I'm even using the right things. Google gave me answers, but I don't think they're the right ones...
Inventor
Stream Operator

Audio files: 258

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello and welcome to electro-music.com! The subject of how to help people get started is in hot debate among us editors, we are trying to figure out what way to help you and others with this question.

As to answering your question, there are about 15 zillion answers! Do you want to make ambient, space, rock, or what? Do you want to use hardware or software or both? Do you want to write your own software? (are you a programmer?)

I'd suggest the following course of action: first browse the forum index page for anything that catches your eye. You mentioned that you play guitar, IIRC, so I'd suggest you have a look at our Strings and Things forum. Also I'd recommend visiting the chatroom to ask questions interactively. It's usually busy in the afternoon and evening hours, US East coast time (whatever that translates into your time zone). Finally, watch this thread for answers from other folks who can help you better than I can.

Also I'd suggest defining goals or perhaps not having any goal and just following your whimsey. Either will be an adventure, but if you tell us more about your goals we can help guide you better. Best of luck, welcome, and most of all: have fun!

Les

Snugtrition

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the reply.

Well I'll try to narrow it down a little. I want to use both hardware and software. Hardware like my keyboard, and whatever software you guys would recommend.

As for a goal... I'm not too sure. I want to make music that I like to listen to. Right now I'm really enjoying She. I don't know all the technical terms for music so I'll just give a link to his website http://www.shemusic.org/ . It's like a cool mix of those synth (I think) sounds with a high energy beat and some piano and vocals. I doubt I can ever get those kind of vocals but I really want to reproduce his style or maybe incorporate it into my own in a song. I just really love listening to it.

After this post I'm going to browse around some more to look for any good leads on what I should really be using. FL studio is just making my head spin lol.
Inventor
Stream Operator

Audio files: 258

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OK, I wasn't able to figure out that site very well but there was one video on the front page that I thought was awesome. I can see why you want to create music in that style.

Although you may wish to imitate a favored artist, please do not attempt to actually copy their work (unless that is your goal). Rather, be expressive in your own way, being similar but not exactly the same. But I think that's what you wanted anyway, I just mention it for consistency.

Since you want to use software, I'd suggest starting with some freeware music packages. That way you can experiment and explore without shelling out any cash. Later, when you know what your needs are, you can buy some cool hardware.

For recording and editing tracks, my freeware tool of choice is Audacity. It's fairly simple yet quite powerful and has effects like time stretching and reversing time, etc. The Nord G2 demo would be an excellent synth to try out for making those sounds from the video i saw, though I do not use it much myself so ask in the Nord forums about it (or use the search function and browse current posts). Also if you like to program, consider ChucK, SuperCollider, or Csound. I use ChucK.

I can't tell you too much more, as I am only two years into music making myself and as such I am no expert. But those are some pointers that maybe will help you get started. Browse the forum and get some software, then start making music! Enjoy.

Les

Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » electro-music.com » Help
Jump to: