electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Rob Hordijk DIY Designs
Availability?
Page 1 of 2 [30 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
fluxmonkey

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:15 am    Post subject: Availability? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i've heard that these projects are not available, except to participants in the workshops. a pity.
richardc64

Audio files: 26

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Uh huh. Makes one wonder how exactly these are "DIY."
TekniK

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Its only available for selected ppl.,in fact i think you just have to meet Rob,or be a friend of somebody he already know.
Or perhaps have a good talk with him,why and for what project u want to use his devices.
Probably he like to know to who and or what kind of person his stuff goes to.

Basicaly this is a good, always working idea to keep 'external' ppl interested or create a 'myth' around those devices,except useless if u made it too much 'public' like now in this subforum describing those devices etc..
Rob

G2 patch files: 109

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: Availability? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bbob wrote:
i've heard that these projects are not available, except to participants in the workshops. a pity.

This is correct. In fact, the idea for the workshop format came first and then the Benjolin was designed to be used in that workshop.

The idea of the Benjolin is to help people who are new to DIY by providing them with a kit that they build under guidance and then go home to put it in a nice box of their own design and play it.

The Benjolin is an example of what a seasoned DIYer can accomplish at home. Doing the workshop means to get introduced to thinking and working systematically to get a project done; to set off people new to DIY in the right direction.

Literally it is not true that it is only available to selected people, simply as we would never make a selection of who would be allowed to attend a workshop.
Rob

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

richardc64 wrote:

Perhaps real DIYers would never want to build a kit but always design everything themselves, perhaps even bake their own chips. Wink
TekniK

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Rob wrote:
richardc64 wrote:

Perhaps real DIYers would never want to build a kit but always design everything themselves, perhaps even bake their own chips. Wink

Why then the majority of ppl here are just buying kits or PCB's ,available here or via other sites?

And so why then the experienced builder does not get the chance to buy one of your kits?
Rob

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

TekniK wrote:
Its only available for selected ppl.,in fact i think you just have to meet Rob,or be a friend of somebody he already know.
Or perhaps have a good talk with him,why and for what project u want to use his devices.

Basicaly this is a good, always working idea to keep 'external' ppl interested or create a 'myth' around those devices,except useless if u made it too much 'public' like now in this subforum describing those devices etc..

Interesting speculations..., although a bit farfetched. But as you are now talking to Rob directly you can ask him directly. And Rob would answer that whatever his motives are they are about art and creativity itself, his art and other artists art. And improvement of that art.

Sorry, but there goes your little theory. Wink
Inventor
Stream Operator

Audio files: 267

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Rob wrote:
richardc64 wrote:

Why, that's nothing! I dig up my own silicon! And I mine copper for the wire too. I smelt it and purify it in my backyard, um, smelter. I paint the insulation on myself, and I use Q-tips to dope the silicon with impurities...

Well not really, but see the following thread for some truly extreme DIY:

http://www.electro-music.com/forum/viewtopic.php?highlight=extreme+diy&t=27635

Les

Rob

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

TekniK wrote:
Why then the majority of ppl here are just buying kits or PCB's ,available here or via other sites?

So why shouldn't there be a place for ppl who attended a workshop? Don't think exclusive, but inclusive.

TekniK wrote:
And so why then the experienced builder does not get the chance to buy one of your kits?

Experienced builders are always very welcome in a workshop as well, there is no selection made! Btw, the workshops are also great social events for everyone present.

But relax guys, I am planning to make all info about the Benjolin available here, inclusive schematics and a pdf for a PCB. So, every seasoned DIYer who can etch a board can make it. Components are readily available, so no issue there as well. I just need a bit of time for this.

It is a risk doing this, there is guys around who do not have the creativity themselves to design stuff but are eager to copy other people's stuff to make a quick buck. I which case I trust you guys to shoot them down...
TekniK

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Rob wrote:
TekniK wrote:

Interesting speculations..., although a bit farfetched. But as you are now talking to Rob directly you can ask him directly. And Rob would answer that whatever his motives are they are about art and creativity itself, his art and other artists art. And improvement of that art.

Sorry, but there goes your little theory. Wink

Exactly,thats what i mean,to many ppl want create 'art' with sound,and to stand out of the mass (because these days as modular and diy stuff is much easy available to the mass) creating a certain mood around a certain project will reach u faster into the spotlight because of the curiosity generated from those ppl u will attract.

And that u know it very well! Wink
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

IMHO, if a person designs a board, s/he owns the copyright and therefore has the right to do whatever s/he wants to do with it. I usually open source my work (mostly programming), but there are some things that I keep to myself. This is my choice and my right. With all due respect to anyone who may feel excluded by an artist/designer's choices, we must respect his/her wishes.

Once in a blue moon someone posts a message literally demanding that copyrighted information be made freely available, referencing "DIY spirit" or somesuch. This is not DIY spirit, it is selfish and inappropriate to make such requests (not applying that characterization to anyone posting in this thread, just an example of the notion taken too far).

Just my two cents worth.

Les

TekniK

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Rob wrote:

TekniK wrote:

Experienced builders are always very welcome in a workshop as well, there is no selection made! Btw, the workshops are also great social events for everyone present.

But relax guys, I am planning to make all info about the Benjolin available here, inclusive schematics and a pdf for a PCB. So, every seasoned DIYer who can etch a board can make it. Components are readily available, so no issue there as well. I just need a bit of time for this.

It is a risk doing this, there is guys around who do not have the creativity themselves to design stuff but are eager to copy other people's stuff to make a quick buck. I which case I trust you guys to shoot them down...

I mean,as an experienced builder,personaly i would feel unconfortable just to go to one of your workshops specialy to be able to own one of you kits,i would rather enjoy have a talk with u with a drink,and build the kit at home.

Would be great if u made the info available to built this module.
Am sure a lot will appreciate here,because this thing indeed seems to be compact with a lot of potential.

Concerning 'copying',don't break your head on that,waste of time,if one remade the pcb to resell it he will not sell many of them anyway.
Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Remembering your (Rob) work on the NMG2, I know that you have a refreshingly alternative way to work with the technical stuff concerning music, as well as a brain the size of a planet. I've been hoping to hear a little more about your gadgets for some time (I remember talk of a hardware version of your tilt filter), if nothing else it's great inspiration for trying out creations of my own.

/Stefan

richardc64

Audio files: 26

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Rob wrote:

I retract my initial scepticism.

Danno Gee Ray

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Having recently attended a workshop, I must say that Rob is indeed a very creative, brilliant and patient conjurer of cool things. That he ensures that those building his designs come away with WORKING examples is commendable.

I am glad to have had the privelege of participation. I also applaud his decision to share the design here.

Thank you Rob.

Dan
mono-poly

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Amy dutch or european workshops planned?
And will the minirungler be avaible to?
Rob

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mono-poly wrote:
Any dutch or european workshops planned?
And will the minirungler be avaible to?

I am working on organizing a Benjolin workshop in The Netherlands in the second half of December.

Basically the minirungler was only an alphatest that finally led to the Benjolin. The Benjolin does everything the minirungler did and more, and has the added filter.
zynthetix

Audio files: 10
G2 patch files: 13

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nearly anybody who can solder and follow instructions can build an electronics kit - its pretty much 'color by numbers' at that point. But when Rob does a workshop, he teaches the circuit design and his reasoning as well. This takes you beyond just simply building a kit. I think the real idea here is to teach people how to design electronics of this kind instead of just blindly building a kit (the same way one would learn something like Max/MSP instead of just using other people's patches). The other benefit is to meet other people who are interested in doing the same and exchanging ideas, learning together, etc. So the Benjolin isn't really just a kit for sale - its a vehicle to do these other things, which I think are worth more than any one kit.
TekniK

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

zynthetix wrote:
Nearly anybody who can solder and follow instructions can build an electronics kit - its pretty much 'color by numbers' at that point. But when Rob does a workshop, he teaches the circuit design and his reasoning as well. This takes you beyond just simply building a kit. I think the real idea here is to teach people how to design electronics of this kind instead of just blindly building a kit (the same way one would learn something like Max/MSP instead of just using other people's patches). The other benefit is to meet other people who are interested in doing the same and exchanging ideas, learning together, etc. So the Benjolin isn't really just a kit for sale - its a vehicle to do these other things, which I think are worth more than any one kit.

O,Thats interesting!
Danno Gee Ray

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well put Zynthetix,

It was a group experience. I absolutely ejoyed the conversations and reparte during the workshop. I got to really meet people then.

It's like Rob is building a family of Bejoliners one workshop at a time.
I went to waters and have come away converted...
wmonk

Audio files: 15

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Rob wrote:

I am working on organizing a Benjolin workshop in The Netherlands in the second half of December.

Cool! If it's on a good time (in the evening or on saturday) I'll try to attend the workshop.
Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Any plans of a workshop in Nambucca Heads? Laughing Wink
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Looks like there might be demand for an internet audio/video workshop... Skype based perhaps?

Les

DGTom

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Uncle Krunkus wrote:
Any plans of a workshop in Nambucca Heads? Laughing Wink

Then maybe swing by the Western Suburbs of Adelaide, or maybe I could 'pop' up to Nambucca.. I figure it will be a quick 10-12 hour drive one way Laughing

I'd totally be into an online workshop... but with our 'broadband' I'd prob have to choose, audio OR video.

Love the sounds I'm hearing of theses devices & looking over the schem its an amazing, interesting cct. but not something I'd like to attempt on stripboard... those SSMs are a little pricey for that Very Happy
Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

SSMs?

I'd attempt anything on stripboard!

Before I learned how to use ExpressPCB, I did a full stripboard layout for the Klee Sequencer. Three separate boards! It never got tested though. Scott and I decided it would be so much better to expand the playing field and let people buy PCBs! Laughing

Page 1 of 2 [30 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Rob Hordijk DIY Designs
Jump to: