electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » MusicFromOuterSpace.com designs by Ray Wilson
Ring Modulator for the Sound Lab
Page 3 of 3 [70 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3
shimshon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

shimshon wrote:
stolenfat wrote:
jameco sells them for 9 bucks a pop, is there a cheaper place to find them? 9 bux! I think thats whacky!

they're on "sale" for 7.75 now Confused

Considering there is no need for trimpots and it is much more stable, this is a pretty reasonable price, IMHO.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
LektroiD

Audio files: 2
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: super simple ring modulator Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dnny wrote:
Hi all there is one RM circuit from Aaron Cram

its analog and uses LM13700 (transconductance Amp) + 3 op amps , 8 resistors and 2 pots - thats all! so it´s really super simple

i havent try it yet but, you cant lose anything by breadboarding this

http://www.ori.org/~aaronc/synth/
and scroll down for ring modulator

daniel

did anyone save this schematic before the link was removed?

*Edit* I found it:
http://experimentalistsanonymous.com/diy/Schematics/Ring%20Modulators%20and%20Frequency%20Shifters/LM13700%20ring%20mod.pdf

Anyone know the pin numbers for the 13700? They're missing on this schematic. Also the 33KΩ resistor is going nowhere?

alieneYe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hello

it looks like that 33K is going to +voltage

here is the pinout of the National Semiconductor LM13700 from the datasheet. i believe this is the usual pinout for this chip.

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

hope that helps Smile
Dego

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:13 am    Post subject: Re: super simple ring modulator Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

LektroiD wrote:
dnny wrote:
Hi all there is one RM circuit from Aaron Cram

its analog and uses LM13700 (transconductance Amp) + 3 op amps , 8 resistors and 2 pots - thats all! so it´s really super simple

i havent try it yet but, you cant lose anything by breadboarding this

http://www.ori.org/~aaronc/synth/
and scroll down for ring modulator

daniel

did anyone save this schematic before the link was removed?

*Edit* I found it:
http://experimentalistsanonymous.com/diy/Schematics/Ring%20Modulators%20and%20Frequency%20Shifters/LM13700%20ring%20mod.pdf

Anyone know the pin numbers for the 13700? They're missing on this schematic. Also the 33KΩ resistor is going nowhere?

The link is gone again... Sad
optigrab929

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:02 pm    Post subject:  AD633 Ring Mod
Subject description: HELP!
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey,

I am trying to build this circuit>

http://www.musicfromouterspace.com/analogsynth/RingModulator/RingModulator.html

I'm new at this stuff, and it's for a project for school...I was told that I could use two 9V batteries linked together with battery snaps to create the +9V and -9V. Is this ok?
Also, how does this all translate to the breadboard (is -9V going to the ground rail, or are the things going to ground separate)?
I bet you can tell that I'm a novice.
Please help!

Thanks,

Brandon
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey Brandon, welcome to electro-music.com Very Happy

Yes- two 9v batts will be fine. You need to read off the spec sheet how much of less the chip will take, voltage and current wise. But yes, you should be fine. Smile

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
optigrab929

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:54 am    Post subject: Ring Mod Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks!
But I am confused -- should the things in my schematic going to "ground" be going to the same rail as the things going to -12V? (i.e. things going to +12V to the red rail and ground and -12V going to the blue rail)

I am very new to all of these procedures--if you have a tutorial or a detailed description of how to do this properly, it would be extremely helpful!

Thanks again,

Brandon
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You'll need the + of one battery to go to the - of another, that junction will be your ground (and you could make the connection between the batteries on the ground terminal of your circuit).

Then you'll have another two battery terminals, one labeled - which will go to the -12V connection on your circuit and another labeled + going to the +12V on the circuit.

like this :

Code:

+---------------> to +12V on circuit
        |
        |   +
      -----
       ---
      -----  9 Volt battery 1
       ---
      -----
       ---
        |   -   
        |
        +---------------> to Ground on circuit
        |
        |   +
      -----
       ---
      -----  9 Volt battery 2
       ---
      -----
       ---
        |   -   
        |
        +---------------> to -12V on circuit

optigrab929

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:47 pm    Post subject: Power Supply Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks!

I have two 9V battery snaps (each with a red and a black wire). So I snapped the positive of one battery to the negative of another. So both the red and black wire from this side go to the ground rail on my breadboard? If yes, then do I put the battery snap on the other side also and connect the red (pos.) and black (neg.) to their respective places within the circuit?
AND..since the positive and negative voltages need to be applied to both the Analog Multiplier and the Op Amp, how do I bus the power (especially the negative voltage).
Am I missing something? Is the negative voltage also part of the red (power) rail?
Sorry I'm so slow, but you guys are really helpful!!

Thanks a lot,
Brandon
optigrab929

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Also, my switch configuration is a little loopy. I realize that it is a 6-lead DPDT switch, and I know how it functions, but I am having trouble translating what pin goes where within my circuit. I have a drawing that I found (attached) of a DPDT setup and I was wondering if it is correct, and if so, which pin is which compared to my schematic (A=1, B=2, etc.)??

Thanks so much again!!

Brandon

DPDTSwitch.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  4.11 KB
 Viewed:  20857 Time(s)

DPDTSwitch.gif

MirlitronOne

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

1. Look carefully at Blue Hell's diagram above. It explains all your connection questions.

2. Do not use your polarity-reversal switch circuit, as this is not what you want to do (unless you want to let the smoke out). Treat your DPDT switch as a DPST double on-off switch. Use one half to switch the +V supply line, and the other half to simultaneously switch the -V supply. The joint ground connection can stay connected all the time.

skylab76

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If anyone is interested in building a stripboard version of the AD633 based ring modulator, here's my diagram:

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

The layout is based on the Ray's schematic , of course:

I added extra amplification on the mod and carrier inputs, and I've constructed one based on my diagram. It works like a charm.

Here's the PDF (easier on the eyes).
http://www.fileden.com/files/2009/2/22/2334311/AD633_RM_SBLayout.pdf

Note: each grid horizontal grid line represents a trace and the intersections represents holes. It may not look perfect since I used Graffle to create the layout.

I'll append some samples this weekend.
MirlitronOne

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for that contribution!

A suggestion: cutting all the traces across the board will significantly weaken the board. Just cut the traces where you need to - i.e. between the pins on the ICs - and then you won't need those extra link wires, either.

skylab76

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

MirlitronOne wrote:
Thanks for that contribution!

A suggestion: cutting all the traces across the board will significantly weaken the board. Just cut the traces where you need to - i.e. between the pins on the ICs - and then you won't need those extra link wires, either.

Thanks for the tip. Yes, in the end, the board seemed a bit "flimsier." That was my first one. I'm working on a layout for René Schmitz's "VCA-2" and I'll definitely follow that advice. That one is tricky since there are numerous cuts for the transistors ,etc.

Regards,
MirlitronOne

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It comes with practice, but it's worth the effort. Once you've had a bit of experience, it's way easier than making PCBs. Rock on!
Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

skylab76 wrote:
If anyone is interested in building a stripboard version of the AD633 based ring modulator, here's my diagram: (...)

Wow, cool! Thanks for this! Smile I've been waiting to try out a stripboard design, and this looks like a great, simple project.

/Stefan

skylab76

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Stefan. I'm glad to share.

MirlitronOne, yes, I'm really enjoying the strip board method. I've rebuilt a few of my modules I constructed on peg board which were horrendous ( I found another module still on breadboard Laughing ). That was worth the time and now I'm looking forward on finishing a couple of new stripboard-based modules. If they're up to par, I'll post them somewhere central in the forum.
sync24

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

skylab76 wrote:
If anyone is interested in building a stripboard version of the AD633 based ring modulator, here's my...

i know this i from a year ago, but thanks!
it's just what i was looking for Smile

knutolai

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
If anyone is interested in building a stripboard version of the AD633 based ring modulator, here's my diagram:

I know this thread is very old, but do you still have that project pdf? I think the link is dead
Page 3 of 3 [70 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » MusicFromOuterSpace.com designs by Ray Wilson
Jump to: