electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Gristleizer PCBs for sale
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 3 [71 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
Taylor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:51 pm    Post subject: Gristleizer PCBs for sale Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi guys, I'm not super-active on this forum, so please let me know if this is not where this belongs.

I've designed a PCB for the infamous Gristleizer. This was designed in the 70s by Roy Gwinn and used most famously (and named by/for) the industrial band Throbbing Gristle.

The circuit is an LFO with square, triangle, up ramp and down ramp waveforms, and a FET-controlled VCA and VCF. For the guitar guys I explain that more in depth but I assume you synth guys know what all of that is, right? Very Happy

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

The board is 3.3 x 2.1 inches (approx. 81 x 53 mm) and includes the option to board-mount pots. It includes a charge pump to derive -9v from a +9v supply. This is useful for building this as a tabletop or rack unit that will run off a standard single-sided 9v supply, but for modular use you can of course use your own bipolar supply.

The board has been built and verified as working. I'm not positive how to estimate a difficulty rating for synth builders. It is a fairly small circuit, certainly in comparison to the gargantuan PCBs elsewhere on this forum, so it should be a quick and easy build. The board has black soldermask with white silkscreen, and all the parts and pads are labeled clearly on board.

The boards are $14. If you buy 3 or more, the price is $13 each.

Shipping within the US is $2.00 for one board and 50 cents for each additional board.

Shipping outside the US is $4.00 for one board and 50 cents for each additional board. I can ship to any country in the world.

To order, send the total via Paypal to taylorlivingston |at| yahoo |dot| com, and please indicate that it's for Gristleizer boards, how many, and your username at this forum.

The wiring diagram with bill of materials and notes is here. The schematic is here

Last edited by Taylor on Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:32 pm; edited 11 times in total
creekree

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

email sent. thank you!
Taylor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey guys, sorry for the confusion. To place an order, you can send the money via Paypal to taylorlivingston |at| yahoo |dot| com.

Also, it looks like I underestimated shipping charges.

Shipping will be $2.00 for one board and 50 cents for each additional board within the US.

$4.00 for one board and 50 cents for each additional board to the UK and Europe.

All others please contact me for a shipping quote.
LektroiD

Audio files: 2
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'd probably be in for 4 if I knew where I could get a MAX1044 IC in the UK
Taylor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm supplying MAX 1044s for some other people in Europe. I will include them with any order for $2.75 each (my cost) plus $1.00 extra shipping.
LektroiD

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Taylor wrote:
I'm supplying MAX 1044s for some other people in Europe. I will include them with any order for $2.75 each (my cost) plus $1.00 extra shipping.

I've just checked my finances, if you could put me down for 2x PCB & 2x MAX1044, to be shipped to the UK, that will be great!

I may be in for more later, but I need to keep a close eye on my finances just now Wink

Mark Space-Ratio

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:10 am    Post subject: Re: Gristleizer PCBs for sale Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

'lo

I have just ordered two boards and two chips to UK. Can you supply a cct diagram too as your notes exclude this. I may convert to split V's using your layout.

thanks

Mark
Taylor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, I just added the schematic at the end of the first post.
Mark Space-Ratio

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Taylor wrote:

Thanks Taylor. I notice from the schematic that the supply rails are split so I will not need the MAT1044's which I ordered. So please just send the boards as I intend using this in a modular.

Thanks

Mark (raum@bt...)
LektroiD

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Taylor wrote:

The schematic differs a lot from the BOM (ie no 741 in the BOM, and none of the ICs listed are in the schematic).

Does not compute

Taylor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, yes, I'm realizing that, while the whole saga of the development of the PCB is here, none of that info ever carried over to this forum. My apologies for this, I should have posted more info.

Here are the changes made from the original schematic:

Single opamps (741) were done away with in favor of 1 quad for the LFO and one dual for the audio. This made no noticeable change in sound quality.

A subcircuit was added to derive -9v from +9v which is necessary for those powering from a single 9v supply (mainly within the stompbox format). This can be left off if you are building this into a modular format and already have a dual supply.

A subcircuit was added to flash an LED in time with the LFO.

An optional de-tick cap was added. This is discussed in the notes.

I will be improving the docs in the coming days. I'll make up a full schematic that includes the additions and also notes what sections of the board do what. The point for injecting the negative supply is already marked, though.

I appreciate any further feedback on the documentation. There has been so much discussion about all this on different forums that I need to work on centralizing the important info. Anything else you see that you don't understand or is incomplete, or contains typos, please let me know. I'm a bit of a pedant, but I'm also exhausted, so I want everything to be right, but I do slip up!

But do be aware that no changes were made to the LFO, waveshaping or sound of the circuit. It sounds and works just like the original, just with more possibilities. All the updates are optional (other than the opamps).
Mark Space-Ratio

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the speedy MAT1044 refund.

cheers

¬¬¬
Taylor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OK guys, the build notes and schematic have been updated. The link is the same as in the first post.

http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/Taylor/

Let me know if you see anything else that needs attention.
Taylor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Only a couple left, so if you plan to order, please email me at taylorlivingston '''at''' yahoo ,,,dot,,, com BEFORE sending a payment, to make sure there are still some boards left.
Taylor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Anybody know a member named Will Collins? I've been trying to get in touch with him about his order and all my mails bounce back. I don't know if he's a member here or not.
Taylor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Boards are all gone, thanks guys.
gwaidan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Can't believe I missed this! Any chance of more boards?
Taylor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

At the moment, I'm not sure there's enough interest, but if it starts to look like more people want them, I could do more in the future.
LektroiD

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Have these been shipped yet - if so, when?

Anyone in the UK got theirs yet?

Taylor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I shipped them as the orders came in, so they all went out at different times. I know some people in the UK did get theirs, but I don't know offhand when yours shipped. You should have gotten an email when it did. If you didn't, email me at taylorlivingston ,at, yahoo ,dot, com and we will sort it out.
LektroiD

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Taylor wrote:
I shipped them as the orders came in, so they all went out at different times. I know some people in the UK did get theirs, but I don't know offhand when yours shipped. You should have gotten an email when it did. If you didn't, email me at taylorlivingston ,at, yahoo ,dot, com and we will sort it out.

Ok, I found your email, dated 21st December. I would imagine it is just slow due to Christmas post. I'll let you know when they arrive. Wink

creekree

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

my pcb and max1044 arrived today in münster, germany.
thank you taylor!
Taylor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cheers! Smile

May your tunes be Gristle-y...
toybox

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I forgot to mention how much i love the first one built love
Mark Space-Ratio

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

LektroiD wrote:
Anyone in the UK got theirs yet?

Got my P.E Soundbender/Gristleizer boards today here in London along with a stack of parts from China!

UK delivery...hahaha. I tracked a new MAC from China, took a day China-Korea-Poland. A further day Poland-Germany-East Midlands airport UK. And a whacking 3 days from Croydon depot to mine...all of 10 miles. I love Britain, full of history....mmm maybe it is 'history'.

Cheers Taylor for the PCB's

¬¬¬
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 3 [71 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: