electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » YuSynth
Weird Clock Divider issue
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Scot Solida

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:57 pm    Post subject: Weird Clock Divider issue
Subject description: odd behavior on outputs 2 + 3
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm having a strange issue with the Clock Divider... it operates normally when using input/output 1 and output 2. However, output 3 is being affected by the positions of the switches for both 2 and 3. Oddly enough, it only happens if switch 2 is set to a bigger division than switch 3.

It doesn't matter which input I use, I get the same bevavior. Output 2 is only being affected by its own switch (as it should be). Strange...
yusynth

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Check that D7 and D12 are healthy, supposing one or both are dead (short-cut) this could explain the behaviour. Check also for solder bridges on you PCB (and if you etched the PCB yourself) check there no microscopic shortcut (tiny copper thread) between tracks.
Scot Solida

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Yves! I'll take a look this morning (after coffee Wink ). I did indeed etch the board, so that may be it, too... I'll get out the magnifying glass... Embarassed
Scot Solida

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I finally got this working properly this morning. Only thing is, I am not entirely sure how I got it working. I rewired the whole thing, tidying it up with molex connectors and ribbon cables. However, that wasn't the problem. I then went through and resoldered most of the joints, checked for shorts. It worked for a few minutes, but when I installed it into the modular, it went back to the old behavior. Weird. So I took it out, pushed on the (socketed) chips, straightened up a couple of caps that had leads bent precariously closely to the diodes and tried again. It worked perfectly. I reinstalled it into the modular and it is still working. I have no idea what was wrong. I may re-build it from the ground up with a neater PCB (this was my first home-etched board, done one the same day as the immediately successful Minimoog filter PCB).

I wish I knew the answer, but I'm happy with the module now that it's working properly. It's just what I needed with my three modular sequencers (and a fourth when I get the Klee built).
yusynth

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Weird indeed, I have a question : what brand of 4017 are you using ? ...
Scot Solida

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I tried a few of them... I think I ended up with an NTE and a couple of others that look like they have the Texas Instruments logo on them (I had these lying around). Might have been an STE, though, I have some of those too.

I should re-address what it was doing. At first, i thought switch 2 was over-riding channel 3, but in actuality, it was adding to it whenever switch 2 was set to a slower clock division. So if switch 2 was set to 1/4 and switch three to 1/2, the output would be the length of both added together, if you see what I mean.
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » YuSynth
Jump to: