electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music
 
    Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » YuSynth
Weird Clock Divider issue
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: Scott Stites
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Author Message
Scot Solida



Joined: Oct 24, 2009
Posts: 96
Location: Hutchinson Kansas

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:57 pm    Post subject: Weird Clock Divider issue
Subject description: odd behavior on outputs 2 + 3
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm having a strange issue with the Clock Divider... it operates normally when using input/output 1 and output 2. However, output 3 is being affected by the positions of the switches for both 2 and 3. Oddly enough, it only happens if switch 2 is set to a bigger division than switch 3.

It doesn't matter which input I use, I get the same bevavior. Output 2 is only being affected by its own switch (as it should be). Strange...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
yusynth



Joined: Nov 24, 2005
Posts: 1234
Location: France

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Check that D7 and D12 are healthy, supposing one or both are dead (short-cut) this could explain the behaviour. Check also for solder bridges on you PCB (and if you etched the PCB yourself) check there no microscopic shortcut (tiny copper thread) between tracks.
_________________
Yves
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Scot Solida



Joined: Oct 24, 2009
Posts: 96
Location: Hutchinson Kansas

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Yves! I'll take a look this morning (after coffee Wink ). I did indeed etch the board, so that may be it, too... I'll get out the magnifying glass... Embarassed
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Scot Solida



Joined: Oct 24, 2009
Posts: 96
Location: Hutchinson Kansas

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I finally got this working properly this morning. Only thing is, I am not entirely sure how I got it working. I rewired the whole thing, tidying it up with molex connectors and ribbon cables. However, that wasn't the problem. I then went through and resoldered most of the joints, checked for shorts. It worked for a few minutes, but when I installed it into the modular, it went back to the old behavior. Weird. So I took it out, pushed on the (socketed) chips, straightened up a couple of caps that had leads bent precariously closely to the diodes and tried again. It worked perfectly. I reinstalled it into the modular and it is still working. I have no idea what was wrong. I may re-build it from the ground up with a neater PCB (this was my first home-etched board, done one the same day as the immediately successful Minimoog filter PCB).

I wish I knew the answer, but I'm happy with the module now that it's working properly. It's just what I needed with my three modular sequencers (and a fourth when I get the Klee built).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
yusynth



Joined: Nov 24, 2005
Posts: 1234
Location: France

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Weird indeed, I have a question : what brand of 4017 are you using ? ...
_________________
Yves
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Scot Solida



Joined: Oct 24, 2009
Posts: 96
Location: Hutchinson Kansas

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I tried a few of them... I think I ended up with an NTE and a couple of others that look like they have the Texas Instruments logo on them (I had these lying around). Might have been an STE, though, I have some of those too.

I should re-address what it was doing. At first, i thought switch 2 was over-riding channel 3, but in actuality, it was adding to it whenever switch 2 was set to a slower clock division. So if switch 2 was set to 1/4 and switch three to 1/2, the output would be the length of both added together, if you see what I mean.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: Scott Stites
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » YuSynth
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
e-m mkii

Please support our site. If you click through and buy from
our affiliate partners, we earn a small commission.


Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
Copyright © 2003 through 2009 by electro-music.com - Conditions Of Use