electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Sequencers
Simple step sequencer question
Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
rodgersk24

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:56 pm    Post subject: Simple step sequencer question Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

First off, I must apologize that I am mostly ignorant as to if I am using the correct terminology, or if I am using the correct terminology, if I'm using it correctly.

Also, apologies if this has been asked before, but I've done a lot of searching around the internet and this site, and didn't find anything to answer my question. I actually feel quite overwhelmed with everything, to be honest...

I am interested in acquiring a step sequencer, either 8 or 16 steps, in the style of the Roland TR-909, 808, etc (not that high-end, but that type of push-button to light up the LED as the beat goes across--my ignorance comes through already, apologies). I don't like the drum machines that have the pads that you push to make your own beat, I like the step sequencing better.

I'm very very open to DIY, and that may be a better option with what I'm asking, but I'm also open to purchasing a unit or finding an old/used/discontinued unit to use, as well. I'm also open to using a DAW to run a the sequencer (I'd have to figure out how to do that, as well, but one thing at a time!), and use Abelton Live as my main synth DAW. A stand-alone unit (by that I mean can plug directly into an amp or mixer or DI box) would be preferable.

Ideas that I've come up with (but they aren't really exactly what I'm looking for)...

Music From Outer Space

Gorf

Again, apologies for the ignorance, but I thought I'd ask people who actually know what they're talking about! Thank you very much in advance!

Finally, apologies if I posted this in the wrong place... my first post here!

Best wishes,

KR
schmidtc

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Welcome to the forums!

For DIY: Maybe a midibox MB-808 or a Monome? The step sequencers on the Elektron boxes, Future Retro Mobius, TR-707/727, or the TR-909 itself are all quite nice.
intosia

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So it has to make sound on its own? No midi?

Maybe Korg EMX, or a Tenorion?

And ofcourse the Analoge DIY sequencers, but then you also need a analog synth that makes the actual sounds... Its all in MFOS website.

Most cool sequencers are just midi controlers... to bad. Im more a hardware instant sound guy to...
Mohoyoho

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Korg Electribe (EMX or ESX) are great to work with. Software wise Sugarbytes makes a great and powerful soft step sequencer that works great in Ableton and other DAWs. It's called Thesys. I love it. It can also step sequence hardware synths as well. It has some wonderful extra features, too numerous to mention here.
www.cdbaby.com/cd/markmahoney
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck
http://cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck2
http://www.limitedwave.com/subterraneous/
chuck

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You might try getting a copy of the book, "Handmade Electronic Music" by Nicolas Collins. Excellent book for learning begining electronics and a great collection of project from super simple to marginally complex.

On page 208 Collins gives a very clear schematic for 10 step sequencer using the 4017 and driven by a 74C14 chip (although you could very easily sub that for a 555). As part of the project the sequencer plays a VCO chip 4046 (and there are many subs for that IC too). If you Google "Cascading 4017" you'll get a lot of great suggestions for how to chain several 4017 and make a sequencer that can handle quite a few steps beyond 10.

good luck

Charles E. Ives
laura woodswalker

Audio files: 18

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:24 pm    Post subject: Korg Electribe Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mohoyoho wrote:
Korg Electribe (EMX or ESX) are great to work with.

Electribe rules! I bought a used Korg Electribe EMX from Craigslist in December. I wasn't really sure what it was... really had never used a step sequencer before. (just bought my first keyboard in dec. 07, so I'm STIll a Newbie!) I loved all the blinky lights on it though.

Well it turns out to be a really nice step sequencer, so I have learned a lot about what such a beast really is! It has a bunch of drum parts & 5 synth parts. The way it sounds, I'd mostly use it for rthymic, dancey kind of stuff.

I got it because I wanted to get away from the computer (I use REason) and jam along with something in realtime. I am trying to explore whether it would be good for live playing. Along with maybe the digitech jam-man loop pedal?? I can't quite figure out how to make it all fit together for a live set.

Also, turn off the lights in the room and those blinky lites are really groovy looking...way cooler than a laptop.

opg

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

In my opinion, the Korg ER-1 and EA-1 are the easiest hardware sequencers you will ever use. And, as the EA-1 is a synth as opposed to the ER-1 drum machine, you can use it to trigger another synth via MIDI (monophonic only, unfortunately). I actually use the ER-1 to trigger a hell of a lot of drum synths.
laura woodswalker

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

opg wrote:
In my opinion, the Korg ER-1 and EA-1 are the easiest hardware sequencers you will ever use. And, as the EA-1 is a synth as opposed to the ER-1 drum machine, you can use it to trigger another synth via MIDI (monophonic only, unfortunately). I actually use the ER-1 to trigger a hell of a lot of drum synths.

Yeah unfortunately I have no idea how to trigger things. Only play them.
I really like my Electribe but it has a limited pallette of sounds, so everything can sound the same after awhile. I can see down the line I might want something that has more advanced capabilities.

You're saying I could somehow MIDI it up to some other synth, and use the Electribe synth pads to play the sounds from, say, a Micron? Yeah that would be cool.

See, that's where we really need some newbie workshops at E-M 10. I can't learn how to set all these MIDI channels & stuff out of a book. I need to see it in realtime.

Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Would some kind of series of photos with accompanying help text work? Maybe I shouldn't promise too much, but I have an Electribe SX (which I think interface-wise works the same as the EMX, only with fewer synth parts and samples instead of oscillators) and an Ion (which is a larger scale Micron). I haven't tried hooking them up, and it could be fun to see what happens. I've done a fair amount of MIDI-hooking-up in my days, and I feel good when I act like I know stuff. Smile

/Stefan

laura woodswalker

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Antimon wrote:
Would some kind of series of photos with accompanying help text work? Maybe I shouldn't promise too much, but I have an Electribe SX (which I think interface-wise works the same as the EMX, only with fewer synth parts and samples instead of oscillators) and an Ion (which is a larger scale Micron). I haven't tried hooking them up, and it could be fun to see what happens. I've done a fair amount of MIDI-hooking-up in my days, and I feel good when I act like I know stuff. Smile

/Stefan

Yeah! Well I tried hooking the MIDI Out on the Electribe to the MIDI In on the Micron. But I didn't know what to do after that. I'm sure it has something to do with channels. The Electribe has 16 MIDI channels. The Micron doesn't really have channel settings & neither does my Yamaha MM6.

I'd love to have an Ion! I am thinking of selling the Micron on Craigs or something. I really need something with knobs that I can actually tweak. I learned in Reason how to tweak Oscillators, envelopes etc. The Micron programming interface just isn't doing it for me. I wonder what is a recommendation for a Micron replacement (probably 40 some keys) that is more user-friendly.

opg

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

laura woodswalker wrote:
I really need something with knobs that I can actually tweak. I learned in Reason how to tweak Oscillators, envelopes etc. The Micron programming interface just isn't doing it for me. I wonder what is a recommendation for a Micron replacement (probably 40 some keys) that is more user-friendly.

I bought a Roland SH-201 exactly for that purpose. It's limited in terms of what you can assign LFOs to, etc., but it was immediately satisfying. I would recommend trying it out in a shop first because some people are really turned off by the "lack of warmth" and "cheap construction." I've been very happen with the sound, and I don't plan on moving it off my keyboard stand and out of my studio ever. If you need to move it often for gigs, I would agree with the critics and not recommend it.

Other ones to check out are the Access Virus, anything Dave Smith, and if you're into it - the Moog Little Phatty. Roland also just came out with the Gaia SH-01 Synthesizer, so maybe they wised up and built something sturdier Smile

laura woodswalker

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

[quote="opg"]
laura woodswalker wrote:
b

Other ones to check out are the Access Virus, anything Dave Smith, and if you're into it - the Moog Little Phatty. Roland also just came out with the Gaia SH-01 Synthesizer, so maybe they wised up and built something sturdier Smile

Someone suggested the Novation Xio 49. I googled that, and it looks pretty good on you tube!!! So now I'm wondering.... Comparison. Alesis Micron vs. Novation!

Those other ones, I bet they're about $1000 more expensive. I'll check 'em out.

opg

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Forgot about Novation! A friend recommended the X-Station when I was looking. And yes, they're all very pricey. Sad
laura woodswalker

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

opg wrote:
Forgot about Novation! A friend recommended the X-Station when I was looking. And yes, they're all very pricey. Sad

DAmn! That's to die for!

Well I don't need to tweak every little thing, but I just recall when I brought the Micron to Jam at the last E-M, it was just clumsy to use. I couldn't find any good sounds...cause instead of saving fave patches to buttons, I had to scroll thru every last one. Then I'd pick a sound and I'd not like it and I wouldn't be able to tweak it at all, unless I wanted to take 10 minutes to program it.

I decided I need something easier to use!

lordavon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've been toying with the idea of making a "drum sequencer" version of GorF, I was thinking ;

- 16 steps
- 8 different "sounds" (it won't make sounds, think 8 different midi notes)
- two velocities (like the 909)
- pattern memory
- small, same size as GorF, i.e. 80mm by 100mm

I already have the schematic and PCB layout done, I just left it to one side as I didn't think anyone would want such a box.

Would many be interested?

Paul
Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Sequencers
Jump to: