electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Circuit Bending
Bliptronic 5000 LED Synthesizer
Page 1 of 2 [49 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
electri-fire

Audio files: 4
G2 patch files: 4

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:17 pm    Post subject: Bliptronic 5000 LED Synthesizer
Subject description: a place to discuss this thing and it's mods
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The Bliptronic 5000 LED Synthesizer came up in another thread and deserves a place of it's own.
http://www.thinkgeek.com/electronics/musical-instruments/c4e1/

"another thread": this one: http://electro-music.com/forum/post-279281.html#279281

The highlights of the former link:
Danno Gee Ray provided a link to pics of the circuitboards:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sykes/sets/72157622877551276/show/

Account of contact with Ty Liotta, the head of ThinkGeek’s custom product group, with some suggestions on hackable targets:

http://www.roostmusic.com/News/bliptronic-5000%E2%80%99s-creator-hacking-tips-prototyping-and-the-switchnome/

Because of it's potential hackability and cheapness I decided to post here, but it's features may also be of interest to those into the Lunetta subject.

Januari 13 2010: EDIT: don't get your hopes up too high, the sound generator is hidden inside the black blob with the CPU, NOT FM, but FM samples, and NOT bendable.

Last edited by electri-fire on Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:25 am; edited 1 time in total
RF

Audio files: 28

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I got two of these delivered yesterday - my wife and I spent an hour or so playing with them. Fun toys. Two of them linked together provided for some fun as each of us tweaked the patterns we had going. She was much better than I at getting interesting melodies and patterns - she played it like an instrument, while I just played.

I don't see _one_ of these keeping me entertained too long, as is.
That said, I think they would be great for a couple kids to get them interested in music. It's something they can play right away and get interesting and unusual patterns and chord/note progressions.

Over the last few weeks I've been looking for info from people who have actually hacked these to anything usefull - and have not found anything besides vague ideas, or using it as a keypad for some other platform.

So, FWIW - Here's what I've got planned so far - I'll let you know how it goes as I dig into it.

My main interest for this device is for using it with my modular, as a sequencer. A guy can never have too many sequencers.

Last night I spirited one of them away to the modular synth, and proceeded to run it through some filters, VCA's and some wavefolders and got a few interesting sounds - but again - it's going to take some changes if it's going to stay with the modular.

The first order of business will be to pull a 'trigger' signal out of it for each step, and also find a clock signal I can pick off and condition to my modulars voltage requirements. I'll probably create a longer "Gate" out as well.
I've GOT to be able to synch it to other clocks.

The Trigger/Gate will allow me to trigger ADSR's to filter and shape the stock sounds from each step. I could also use it as a quickly programmed gate sequencer - for my drum modules at the very least, or for clocking other modules in an irregular way.
I'm quite sure that'll be fairly easy - it only relates to the 8 sequenced steps.

I have a Frequency to Voltage converter in my modular - but I don't think the sounds that come out of the bliptronic will allow it to track those stock sounds very well...If it can, then it would have the potential to be a fairly nice step sequencer, albeit one note per step. Chords would completely mess it up.

If that's all I get out of the Bliptronics - it's a financial bust for my purposes. I just built a basic 8 step sequencer - and I'm sure the total cost was under $30.

From the quick glance at the guts, I'm not holding out much hope for 'glitched sounds' or typical bending fodder - but I was intrigued by a statement in the article here;
http://createdigitalmusic.com/2009/11/25/bliptronic-5000s-creator-hacking-tips-prototyping-and-the-switchnome/

[Quote}
There may also be some unimplemented sounds waiting on the chip, and it may be possible to modify the scales played. I’m fairly familiar with some of these chips used in the casio-clone keyboards found at thrift stores- makes me wonder if there are some drum sounds hiding in there as well. [/Quote]

So I guess searching out those sounds would be something to look at...

Those are my thoughts so far....
I'd be very interested in any ideas you might have on what I've written, or what you plan to do with yours....
Sorry for the long note.

bruce

"I want to make these sounds that go wooo-wooo-ah-woo-woo.”
(Herb Deutsch to Bob Moog ~1963)
Danno Gee Ray

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I too was intrigued by the same statements there as you RF.
From what I understand, these devices rely on a +5V pulse for clock sync between units. I tried using the output of a Casio PT-7 as a sync input on a Bliptronic and was able to get the Bliptronic to sync up with the Casio's rythm output. It was interesting. Different options of sync are available depending on the position of the top switch on the bliptronics with multiple units. They do have their limitations, but I also see a fair amount of potential still there.
electri-fire

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:27 am    Post subject:
Subject description: Casio FM?

It is said to have a separate "casio FM" IC, that surprised me. FM would typically be Yamaha, and those could be bent into semirandom permutations by disconnecting some "sound select parameter lines" and then selecting another sound.

Could you locate this IC (and possibly others and provide us with the type numbers?
Danno Gee Ray

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The link to the photos posted earlier...the photos show the IC number. FT61064A 091026 I tried looking it up on the net with no luck.
RF

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Same here - Have not been able to find info on it..
I've been poking around the chip this morning.
EF0 to EF7 change the voice when a V+ is applied (through a resistor) - but there is some strange behavior - changing speeds and patterns in some cases.
Me thinks there is nothing hidden in there as far as additional voices - drums etc. But, I could be wrong....
CD3 Hi toggles start and stop
CD2 Hi stops the sequence

meh

bruce

slacker

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've just bitten the bullet and ordered one of these so I'll be interested to see what develops here. Hopefully I don't get stung too much for tax and charges, the shipping to the UK was bad enough.

Looks like a fun toy if nothing else, shame there's no drum sounds though, they've missed a trick there.

Just thinking aloud, but logically somewhere in there between the button matrix and the synth there must be some sort of digital signal that corresponds to the selected note. I wonder if that would be something you could do some sort of DA conversion on to generate a CV.
electri-fire

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

slacker wrote:
Hopefully I don't get stung too much for tax and charges, the shipping to the UK was bad enough.

I ordered two for $85.98, it was $41.79 postage to Netherlands, Europe.

Edit: I had to pay 27.50 euros to customs.

slacker wrote:

Just thinking aloud, but logically somewhere in there between the button matrix and the synth there must be some sort of digital signal that corresponds to the selected note. I wonder if that would be something you could do some sort of DA conversion on to generate a CV.

I've been having the same idea, the voltage sent to the LEDs could be considered bits, and used with a DAC. It's a shame the LEDs get turned off when a step is played.

Now we'd need some gating action to select maybe the PREVIOUS row of bits when all bits are low. May involve high chip count, like 8 4051 8to1 multiplexors to route each colom of bits to your DAC or R/2R network in time, and more to get them going.

Last edited by electri-fire on Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:52 am; edited 1 time in total
electri-fire

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

RF wrote:
I've been poking around the chip this morning.
EF0 to EF7 change the voice when a V+ is applied (through a resistor) - but there is some strange behavior - changing speeds and patterns in some cases.
Me thinks there is nothing hidden in there as far as additional voices - drums etc. But, I could be wrong....
CD3 Hi toggles start and stop
CD2 Hi stops the sequence

I suspect this might be the onboard sequencer/logic chip mentioned somewhere, not the sound generator. Hm...

At the board with the LED switches are two 14-pin IC's who's numbers end with HC164, most likely some 74HC164 8-Bit Serial-Input/Parallel-Output Shift Registers.

Left of those is a 16-pin 74HC** (unreadable by glue blobs). What's that one?

At the board with the "CPU" blob and the pots are 3 additional IC's.

the 3-pin is the voltage regulator.

U1= XPT4871 ?? (if so, it may be a 1W audio power amp, equivalent to TS4871IDT)
Pin-3 would be the input. Coming from the sound chip? Where?

Last? contender for the sound chip would be 8-pin U2.
24004-9? 24Q04-9? (not found)

I'm beginnig to suspect the separate sound chip doing FM is a myth, unless I missed something.

(finished editting?)

Last edited by electri-fire on Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:50 am; edited 1 time in total
electri-fire

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:49 am    Post subject: Bliptronic-5000 FM Myth Busted Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm not the only one doubting the Bliptronic does FM.

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/post-3934214.html#3934214

I'd say there's enough circomstantional evidence to claim the FM myth BUSTED.
grantb3

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Anyone know who makes the switches or where to get similar ones?
slacker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

electri-fire wrote:
[
I ordered two for $85.98, it was $41.79 postage to Netherlands, Europe. Sometimes customs comes up with additional charges indeed. Let's hope not...

$33 to ship one to the UK, even with that it's probably still cheaper than if it was available to buy over here so shouldn't complain.

electri-fire wrote:

Now we'd need some gating action to select maybe the PREVIOUS row of bits when all bits are low. May involve high chip count, like 8 4051 8to1 multiplexors to route each colom of bits to your DAC or R/2R network in time, and more to get them going.

It shouldn't be that complicated I don't think, I'm guessing the diodes are used to generate the bits and the LEDs are just for show. If we're lucky the voltage to the LEDs is controlled separately, so the CV wouldn't drop between steps. If it does there's ways round it, you could either use a sample and hold on the CV or a digital latch to hold the previous value until the next one was ready.
I reckon the first thing to do is figure out what all the pins on the big header on the logic board are for first and take it from there.
electri-fire

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:43 am    Post subject: first (non) bend reports Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Some have given it a go already, not encouraging so far.

GetLofi clock oscillator as external clock: not working (why???)
questions there like: "Any luck bending yet? The soundchip seems not really flexible..."

http://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/topic-10265.html
RF

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I checked U2 with the thing running - and it's just High and Low logic, as far as I can tell - perhaps just an inverter - I didn't see any change on the pins as I changed the operation of the device.

I saw a pic of the chip somewhere else - but I wasn't able to read the labels - so here's another shot for those interested.

OSCI1 OSC0
VDD5 CD4
GH0 CD3
GH1 CD2
GH2 CD1
RST CD0
EF0 AB7
EF1 AB6
EF2 AB5
EF3 AB4
EF4 AB3
EF5 AB2
EF6 AB1
EF7 AB0
OUTL VDD
DAUD0 DL1
SIGINL DL0
VCM VSS

chip.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  71.69 KB
 Viewed:  612 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

chip.JPG

electri-fire

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:44 pm    Post subject: Bliptronic-5000 sync pulse / user manual Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Danno Gee Ray wrote:
From what I understand, these devices rely on a +5V pulse for clock sync between units./.../ Different options of sync are available depending on the position of the top switch on the bliptronics with multiple units.

from http://createdigitalmusic.com

createdigitalmusic.com wrote:

At the end of the pattern a pulse of approx 10 msec with an amplitude of what seems to be 2v is sent to the “link out” socket. (my measurements are not that accurate...),
and
I had success triggering the blip5000 with my tr707 (the pattern will play once and can not be retriggered while playing).

Let's assume it's a +5V 10ms pulse.

I didn't see a user manual online. Danno, RF, could you elaborate on the sync options?
(or post a link to the manual, or post a scan?)
electri-fire

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:51 pm    Post subject: Open letter to ThinkGeek
Subject description: Requesting manual and datasheets

ah well, I might as well try the main source of info: I sent this request to thinkGeek:

Bliptronic 5000

There's been a lot of speculations in the hacking/circuitbending community on the nature of the sound chip. We've been led to believe it's an FM synth, but that seems not to be the case. Since other hacks have been performed supported by the designer(s), I dare be so bold to ask for the soundgenerator IC's datasheets, to be sent to me or made available on your site.

Also there seem to be multiple options for the sync behavior.
I just ordered two bliptronics (also based on assumed moddability) but must confess I'm impatient for them to arrive. I think some would be interested in the technical aspects, and there's too much myth developing now that needs to be put to right for the potential buyer.

So please, make user manual and datasheets available.

Regards,

electri-fire

(fingers crossed, you never know...)
RF

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

electri-fire wrote:

At the board with the LED switches are two 14-pin IC's who's numbers end with HC164, most likely some 74HC164 8-Bit Serial-Input/Parallel-Output Shift Registers.

Left of those is a 16-pin 74HC** (unreadable by glue blobs). What's that one?

The 16 pin one is..
74HC595D
8-bit serial-in/serial or parallel-out shift register with output latches; 3-state

XPT4871
The XPT4871 is an audio power amplifier primarily designed for demanding applications in low-power portable systems. It is capable of delivering 3 watts of continuous average power to an 3Ω BTL load with less than 10% distortion (THD) from a 5VDC power supply.

RF

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Good thinking electri-fire... Smile
Nice request.

After messing with it for a few hours with the 'scope and logic probe - I'm not convinced there is anything else to be easily had from this. I think the whole thing is in the epoxied chip, that it's uses a timed data stream for programming and functions and some simple bending won't get you squat.

There are some points where you can easily pick off a low logic, invert it to Hi and use it for an 8 step trigger or gate sequencer...but not for any audio signal other than the seven stock sounds.

I am also sure that if you throw enough time, parts and bucks at it and just use the keypad matrix you could have some useful device - but I'm not going there...

I don't mean to be negative - that's just the way it looks to me.

electri-fire

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

RF wrote:
I think the whole thing is in the epoxied chip, that it's uses a timed data stream for programming and functions and some simple bending won't get you squat.

Hrmpf... ah well...I think I can trigger my Lexicon Vortex tap tempo with the sync pulse (after inverting and extending the pulse, the Vortex tap tempo is activated when connected to ground).
http://www.loopers-delight.com/LDarchive/200004/msg00910.html.

Are the LEDs active low? Edit: The LEDs are active LOW indeed.

Last edited by electri-fire on Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:31 am; edited 1 time in total
RF

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well - The Arduino types (I know nothing of Arduino) are stoked...

Not much on the site yet, but it looks like they have plans....
http://blipduino.org/

imaguitargod

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This thread got me interested in this little guy. There is a website that has the exact same thing but with a cooler sounding "blip" but it doesn't have the control options this thing has (and it's a REAL device instead of virtual).

So I checked out the video of it in action and I'm not that impressed with the sounds. They were actually kinda annoying and really artificial sounding (which can be good in certain applications, but a little harsh sounding for my tastes). If I fed it through some peddles think it would make it worth while to have?

It looks like it's not really bendable from what everyone's saying. For my noise projects I like that ambient/circuit bent quality from all of my instruments but I'm also thinking this would be kinda cool to have for a background sound if fed through a distortion pedal or a phase shifter with delay or something....what are the people's thoughts on this that own the unit?

RF

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's one guys opinion....

I bought two of them - and they entertained me for an hour or so.
I don't see I'll ever use them musically as they are.

I've enjoyed poking around in them to see if I could find some simple mods I thought I could use - but _I_ can't see anything.
I could be completely wrong on my thoughts on bending these earlier in this thread - maybe I've missed something.

I really hope someone can prove me wrong and find a great mod I can apply that won't cost me more and do less than what I can build myself.

If someone builds an interesting 'plug and play' interface for the keypad, these could be useful. The Blipduino site I referred to above could be worth keeping an eye on.

For now, I'll use these if I have nieces or nephews in the house and need to keep them entertained for a bit. That's the best use I can see for them, as is.

bruce

imaguitargod

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

AH! Here's the website I was talking about:

http://lab.andre-michelle.com/tonematrix

slacker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

imaguitargod wrote:
I'm also thinking this would be kinda cool to have for a background sound if fed through a distortion pedal or a phase shifter with delay or something....what are the people's thoughts on this that own the unit?

Mine arrived today so I've only had a quick play, a couple of the sounds are OK but most of them are pretty cheesy, plenty of people make music with little toy synths though and it's no worse than those. The main thing I don't like so far is the limited range of tempos.

I tried it through a flanger and delay pedal and certainly makes it much more interesting. Pretty much anything drenched in delay sounds good to me though.
Tried it through my EHX Microsynth as well and was able to get some nice distorted squelchy bass lines going with it.
It's certainly a fun little toy, hopefully it will turn out to be more than just that.
RF

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Keypad insights here...
http://www.straytechnologies.com/bliptronic-5000-hacking-full-pin-out-to-the-64-button-pcb/

bruce

Page 1 of 2 [49 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Circuit Bending
Jump to: