electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Klee sequencer
kinda stumped...
Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
patchdub

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:44 pm    Post subject: kinda stumped... Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i've got a few issues and i'm kinda stumped...

the patterns don't repeat after they get to 16. if i have for example the 1 and 5 pattern switch engaged 5 cycles as it should until it gets to 16 and then stops. as 1 travels everything after it stays lit. the same thing happens with 9 in the 8x2 mode.

these leds are always on. 16, main trigger/gate, and clock rate. and gate buss 2 led does not come on.

any ideas where to start looking for a fix?

thanks in advance!
-patch

EdisonRex
Site Admin

Audio files: 172

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Whose 4034s are they. If they are SCL, then they need to be replaced, sooner rather than later (after mine started to exhibit symptoms similar to what you describe, one of those 4034s exploded, and I never did find all the pieces).

It is otherwise possible that you have some interesting shorts somewhere, but I am pretty sure this is going to end up being the 4034s.

Home,My Studio,and another view
patchdub

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hi. thanks for the response.
well the 4034s are from texas instruments. bummer i was hoping it was just a simple fix. i must continue my search for bad connections.
thanks
-patch

EdisonRex
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ok check the bus 1 load wiring, the invert B wiring, and ext load enable.
Also look at your digital board's clock/load processing. I expect that the board is ok, and it's a panel wiring problem, the panel is a lot of work to keep track of.

Any more info you can post would be good.

patchdub

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

well i found that pin 1 on u5 was bent. fix that and now i have a repeating sequence when in 2x8 mode but just in 1-8 and only in random mode. when i just the 3 pattern switch engaged and either use manual step or a lfo to run the sequence, 1-8 cycles properly but 9-16 light up and stay light beginning at 9 through to 16.

16 led stays on anytime the sequence gets to 16 it just stops.

bus 1 and bus 3 led light up when they hit during a sequence but bus 2 led does not. the main led and clock led are stuck on.

pretty sure i have the switches oriented correctly, everythings orientation makes sense however the pattern switches seem backwards to what they ought to be.

feel like i've gone through the wiring and board a bunch of times now and am still baffled though its nice to see the lights moving around.

thanks for the help!

patchdub

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i had the random and pattern switch backwards. gone through the bring up procedure and seems like most things are working except for what i was talking about in my previous post and the merge switches don't seem to work.

i am using the bridechamber panel and maybe there is some differences in layout compared to the build document or maybe i am really dyslexic?

even with just half an operational klee i think this thing way dope! having loads of fun. can't imagine how cool it will be when its fully up!

EdisonRex
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

patchdub wrote:
well i found that pin 1 on u5 was bent. fix that and now i have a repeating sequence when in 2x8 mode but just in 1-8 and only in random mode. when i just the 3 pattern switch engaged and either use manual step or a lfo to run the sequence, 1-8 cycles properly but 9-16 light up and stay light beginning at 9 through to 16.

Invert B is on. Might be stuck on, but it's on. Look at U4.

Quote:

16 led stays on anytime the sequence gets to 16 it just stops.

might be bus 1 load getting in the way, might be related to your other problem below.

Quote:

bus 1 and bus 3 led light up when they hit during a sequence but bus 2 led does not. the main led and clock led are stuck on.

You did use 3 way on-off-on switches, right. Check the merge function to see if you get merge between either bus 1 or 3 to bus 2. Check U13, U10.
See if U10 pin 10 gets twiddly signals when running the sequencer clock.

Quote:

pretty sure i have the switches oriented correctly, everythings orientation makes sense however the pattern switches seem backwards to what they ought to be.

feel like i've gone through the wiring and board a bunch of times now and am still baffled though its nice to see the lights moving around.

thanks for the help!

You are most welcome. Continue to let us know how you get on with it, ok? Smile

EdisonRex
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Also check master gate. If you get master gate, it's working better than you think.

Bus 2 is kind of described as "not bus gate 1 or 3" which you can see when you wire it. Those merge switches should get you somewhere though.

check around U11 pin 1... that's coming from D5 and D6. U13 pins 5 and 6 will need to see the output from pin 2. Look especially around there for bad solder, opens, bent pins again, etc.

Anyway those are a few more thoughts, maybe Bill or Scott or Krunkus or Fonik or someone will have more ideas. Keep at it, you're making progress!

patchdub

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hi. i replaced the invert switch and that fixed the 16 led and now i get a repeating sequence!

about to dig into the merge, master gate, bus 2 problems now.

thanks again! this klee is getting more and more fun!!

patchdub

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hi.
whew! this is a big project for me. i have built my whole system so far but that doesn't mean i know what i am doing. the klee has definitely made me learn alot more and i am really happy about that.

so i am pretty sure i have my wiring issues corrected. i had a bad 4093ic and replaced all 3. i still have a few things i can't sort out...

-the main gate and trigger work but led is always on.
-bus 1 acts just like the main regardless of the buss switches, it use to work but somehow while "fixing" other problems i made a new one.
-bus 2 the led is always on and it does not work at all.
-u13 on the digital board gets warm but not hot.
-still don't think the merge switches work.

any ideas as to where to look?
thank you!
-patch

EdisonRex
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Re: bus 2 problems and U13

well, something is definitely wrong around U13, especially if it is getting warm. I'd say check pins 5-6 on U13, U11 pin 1 again. Now if gate bus 1 has something wrong, check your header connectors. I know I had a few springs in the header connectors that got crushed when pushing into the header pins, those needed to be fixed to get things working. There are a LOT of connections as you know.

patchdub

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

well i have to say i have gone through the thing over and over again and i just can't make any improvements. still have the same issues as in previous post. that hasn't stopped me from absolutely loving the klee. but i know i am missing out on not being able to direct any signal through bus 1 or 2, that would make the klee extra sick. i am afraid i might have to find someone who knows this type of thing to look it over at some point.

i appreciate all the help edisonrex!
thanks

Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Klee sequencer
Jump to: