electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Discussion » Introduce Yourself
Spent a week browing this space so thought I'd say hello
Page 1 of 1 [14 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
a100user

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 9:20 am    Post subject: Spent a week browing this space so thought I'd say hello Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi all,

I was introducded to this space by Howard while we were attending the Modular 2003 conference in London in September, see Howards review.

Not a musician but more a sonic sculpter. Obsessed with sound creation and all things that can be used to produce, transform and generally manipulate sound.

My main weapon of choice is my modular system and increasingly my Mac dual 450 G4.

BTW Electro80, love the module reviews you did.
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
hi a100user
are you a user of the Doepfer A100?
welcome aboard Very Happy

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

HEY A100! Great to have you with us! Is Carlo right about that Doepfer?? A100? It must be a Doepfer! Very Happy
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Spent a week browing this space so thought I'd say hello Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

a100user wrote:
Obsessed with sound creation and all things that can be used to produce, transform and generally manipulate sound.

Welcome, David!

I'll never forget the way your eyes lit up when I asked you to show me your modular system when we met. It was obvious in an instant that these things inspire you. You are definitely one of us. Wink

Yes, it is a Doepfer, with a few mods naturally.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Spent a week browing this space so thought I'd say hello Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

a100user wrote:
Not a musician but more a sonic sculpter.

I don't want to get off into symantics, but I think a sonic sculpter is a very advanced musician.

Maybe I'm missreading this. Maybe you mean "Not just a musician". Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
a100user

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the welcome.

Carlos/Elekro80, mostly Doepfer. The modular system currently consists of 76 Doepfer modules, 8 analogue systems modules and 4 analogue Solutions modules in the racks in my little profile image. Additionally I have another rack that contains 2 MOTM modules, 16 Oakley modules and 7 Digisound modules. Also a dual SMS Mars/Planet7 system (this was a short production run by an English guy called Andy Pledger - part of this design has now eveolved into the Analogue Systems Spawn) and a pair of Doepfer MAQ 16/3 sequencers.

On the non modular side is a Technics WSA-1 Physical modelling workstation, a Yamaha AN1X virtual analogue synth, Waldorf pulse, Roland SH101 and a Korg ER1 drum machine.

Running on the Mac, Pro Tools LE/Digi 001, Reactor, Absynth, various plugins and my favorite piece of software U&I Metasynth (strange graphical sound manipulator.

However, 80% of my time is on the modular and it's still growing.

I suppose I should mention what I use it for. Anything that takes my fancy really. from slow evolving soundscapes to heavy/distorted sequencer driven pieces and anything inbetween. Also I have done a piece for a gallery where sensors around the gallery allow the visitors to interact with the sounds and reshape the textures.

When I say not a musician, I mean I cannot play keyboards, guitar etc. I play machines!
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am pretty sure you agree that playing the machines is a skill too. Very Happy

OK, it is kool to have a decent traditional keyboard skills but you get only so far with that. And keyboard skills does not make music. Shocked
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

a100user wrote:

Running on the Mac, Pro Tools LE/Digi 001, Reactor, Absynth, various plugins and my favorite piece of software U&I Metasynth (strange graphical sound manipulator.!

you should explain to me how you use virtual instruments like Reaktor having such a great modular setup. What for?
Metasynth is another story, it's such a nice piece of software for aural landscapes.....and beyond.
a100user wrote:
Also I have done a piece for a gallery where sensors around the gallery allow the visitors to interact with the sounds and reshape the textures.

I would like to know what kind of sensors you used for that gallery.
Those by InfusionSystems?
http://www.infusionsystems.com/index.shtml

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I reckon A100 has discovered that his knowledge of analog modulars is a great inspiration when messing about in Reaktor. If you have this knowledge you can make really wild stuff in Reaktor and you can even aim for that synthesis stuff you know is hard or impossible on the analog gear. Am I right? Wink
a100user

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Elektro80, I agree, playing machines is a skill worth pursueing. In fact I find that most players do not play the machine, they play the interface at a basic level, say the keyboard, and tend not to interact with the sound as much as. I have hear some people suggest that electronics are unemotional, they don't have to be.

Seraph, Elektro80 is correct, a good foundation in hardware modular systems is invaluable when using something like Reactor. The beauty of software modulars is that now I can incorporate sonic elements into a sound that analogue hardware cannot do, a granular synthesis module in a patch being an example.

Yeh, Metasynth is wonderful.

The sensors I use are from Doepfer, theremin controllers, and light to CV controllers. They all work on proximity but with different results. At the Modular 2003 conference (where I met Howard) one of the artists, Roland Kuit, used the Infusion icube with his Nord Modular, very impressive but also outside my price range. if I was planning regular interactive events I would consider one though. Alternativley the Soundbeam

http://www.soundbeam.co.uk/

Again expensive but a very nice system
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Modular synthesis is about a pretty abstract way to do signal and modifier routing. The downside to this is that a modular synthesist gets the repatching bug. Which basically means that you go around your daily business with your brain repatching everything.. and I mean everything.

I have a theory concerning cosmetic surgeons. They just have to hobbyist modular synthesists.. not? Shocked
a100user

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Agreed, by profession I'm a project manager for a financial information company, specifically IT systems. I'm always patching and repatching

The other advantage of soft modulars, which I must mention, is that you can save your patches rather than having to write them down, which I hardly ever do.
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I KNEW IT! I KNEW IT! HE HAS THAT BUG TOO! Shocked Very Happy Very Happy
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

a100user wrote:
I have hear some people suggest that electronics are unemotional, they don't have to be.

Wow, I've never heard anyone say it exactly that way, but I bet many people think it. I started another thread on that in the Schmooze forum.

http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-606.html
Page 1 of 1 [14 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Discussion » Introduce Yourself
Jump to: